Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 28 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sensor dirty after Rally,

delko
44 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 28, 2012 09:55 |  #1

Hi All .

Whenever im outdoor in the bush like at a 4x4 trail of like at a rally where dirt gets kicked up into the air.I have to let the sensor get cleaned each time.Is there any way i can avoid this coz it is very irratating to me. Can I get some sort od protective plastic cover for my 60d to help with this problem?
Is there a procedure?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

sponsored links
philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 28, 2012 10:01 |  #2

Dust on the sensor is a fact of life and there is nothing you can do about it..
Just learn how to clean it yourself.
It's not that hard.
There's plenty of You Tube clips available

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 28, 2012 10:22 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #3

Hmmm... I shoot a lot of muddy/dusty racing. During the 4 years I used a 40D, its sensor got cleaned three times; the 7D I've had since June this year has never been cleaned.

I just don't see the need for it - nothing shows up in pictures, so I let it be.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 28, 2012 17:43 |  #4

Tessa wrote in post #15178271 (external link)
Hmmm... I shoot a lot of muddy/dusty racing. During the 4 years I used a 40D, its sensor got cleaned three times; the 7D I've had since June this year has never been cleaned.

I just don't see the need for it - nothing shows up in pictures, so I let it be.

Yep...
I'm the same Tessa.
I only clean mine when I need to - probably only about once every 3-4 months.
Certainly not after every event.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Bicknell55
347 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 28, 2012 19:13 |  #5

Not changing the lens when you're out in the dust will help a lot. I'm really surprised you have to get the sensor cleaned after each event, that seems a bit excessive IMO. Otherwise if you don't see spots in your images then I wouldn't worry too much. The sensor cleaning function on the newer bodies is pretty slick as I haven't had an issue with my 7D but I still battle spots on my MkIIN, especially when I'm down around 1/60 or slower. You can make a cheap dust cover with a plastic bag and some gaffer tape if you're so inclined. Otherwise you can buy a raincover which will serve the same purpose but cost a lot to a little more.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem.
http://www.brentsmithp​hotography.com/ (external link)http://brentsmith.smug​mug.com/ (external link)

SunnyinFlorida
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 06, 2012 12:28 |  #6

Bicknell55 wrote in post #15179957 (external link)
Not changing the lens when you're out in the dust will help a lot. I'm really surprised you have to get the sensor cleaned after each event, that seems a bit excessive IMO. Otherwise if you don't see spots in your images then I wouldn't worry too much. The sensor cleaning function on the newer bodies is pretty slick as I haven't had an issue with my 7D but I still battle spots on my MkIIN, especially when I'm down around 1/60 or slower. You can make a cheap dust cover with a plastic bag and some gaffer tape if you're so inclined. Otherwise you can buy a raincover which will serve the same purpose but cost a lot to a little more.

I always found clear ponchos work a lot better than bags :p

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 07, 2012 00:55 |  #7

and here I am about to briefly disappear...

IMAGE: http://sambacentral.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/2012walkystagesrally_agr-83.jpg?w=800
After that, the rest of my gear matched all my white lenses.
Thanks to Andrew Coles (any given reason) for the pic...
http://anygivenreason.​com …tages-rally-sarc-round-5/ (external link)

Regards, Phil

Tessa
Playing with fire
1,806 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 07, 2012 13:26 |  #8

philwillmedia wrote in post #15216910 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Heh - yep, I know the feeling :)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 08, 2012 19:50 |  #9

philwillmedia wrote in post #15216910 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I know that feeling - Safari Rally (the WARC one) is typically very very dusty.
Last year you couldn't see anything for 30seconds after the car went through - most of the cars took a penalty to get an extra minute gap so the dust would settle a bit more.

As for the sensor - I haven't cleaned mine in a long time, I do mine maybe once a year
Providing your not taking the lens off when it's dusty, you shouldn't have to clean the sensor after every event

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

jdm_cain
43 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 12, 2012 19:08 |  #10

Good Luck

lusospeed
181 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 25, 2012 03:02 |  #11

Dust on your sensor is a given. Changing lenses will increase the likelihood it will be on your sensor. You will also find that shooting at, as an example, f4 will mask most sensor dirt. Shoot at f22, and everything on your sensor will be evident. Learn to clean the sensor and clean it as needed. Slow shutter pan shots will inevitably show the dirt.

http://www.lusospeed.c​om (external link)

StevePhoto
79 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 25, 2012 13:26 |  #12

Definitely avoid changing lenses at a rally or similarly dirty environments. And, there's no reason not to clear the sensor yourself after you understand the technique and tools that work without hurting it. When you send your camera to Canon for cleaning who cleans it? Possibly someone with a lot of experience, but definitely not someone who cares about your camera as much as you do.

Richard Prince
http://www.rprincephot​o.com (external link)

gazzac5
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Jan 10, 2013 13:45 |  #13

i have been using Digipads for years now and find them great value for money and with great results. some good deals on Amazon at the moment, or they have a website.

sponsored links

2,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sensor dirty after Rally,
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.