Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 12 Nov 2012 (Monday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

College Basketball --- white balance?

liberm
35 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 12, 2012 18:40 |  #1

I've been shooting for my school's paper, and I'm not sure how to handle the white balance in these conditions (there's a lot of variance due to the flickering lights, as I'm sure many of you know). Here are some of my shots, I'm thinking they're a bit on the "yellow" side. Does anyone have any suggestions for this environment?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8490/8152763181_fc3e7e78fd_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/28980737@N05/8​152763181/  (external link)
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8152776912_26fec36d65_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/28980737@N05/8​152776912/  (external link)

sponsored links
Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 12, 2012 19:32 |  #2

These are not bad... I have seen worst.. Mine... LOL
I guess you can shoot off a gray card or maybe someone's white T-shirt, how about using the Kelvin adjustment maybe at K3300 or 3500.. try it our next time you go to shoot in that gym..
I sometimes have my Kelvin @ 3300 and it works for me..
see link>> http://www.clickinmoms​.com …pproach-to-white-balance/ (external link)

Joe

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,403 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 21, 2012 13:32 |  #3

I shoot Raw and here's what I do. I use a grey card to make a Custom WB (CWB). I take a shot of a grey card on the court (in the same light as the game) at 1/60, wide open and fill the frame with the shot; it doesn't even have to be in focus. Use manual focus for the shot only. I apply the CWB in post processing. After selecting the best images, I open the CWB image in LR3 and place the white balance dropper (don't recall the name at the moment) onto the center of grey card image and then sync all images using the CWB. I think this can be done the same with Jpegs, too, but not sure. Give it a try.

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Nov 21, 2012 13:49 |  #4

Those shots are just fine! A lighter cast is good for darker faces - shows more detail.

Shooting for a school, always try for the action - but remember to get some good face shots for the kids to use on facebook. Also, get some shots of the coach, the crew, the special rooting section. If you can get close to the bench, get a shot of the coach with the players grouped around him.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

RCB
140 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 21, 2012 16:30 as a reply to  @ bubbygator's post |  #5

Since you shoot for the school paper you will be shooting plenty of games in that gym so you need to get your white balance dialed in. You really cannot do anything for the flickering lights so just concentrate on getting a good white balance to begin with. You can shoot a card or you can just shoot raw and then change your white balance setting in post processing until you hit it right. Then just dial in that kelvin setting in your camera the next time you hit that gym.

Robert
http://robertburgephot​o.com (external link)
Canon - 1DX Mk II | 7D Mk II | 15 f2.8 FE | 17-40 f4.0L | 24-70 f2.8L | 85 f1.8 | 135 f2.0L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 300 f2.8L IS | 500 f4.0L IS | 1.4 TC

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,650 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2012 21:19 as a reply to  @ RCB's post |  #6

RAW is a must for the best results. Custom white balance is a great place to start but light cycling can wreak havoc with that. Additionally, some of the larger venues are using those high intensity billboards that change every 30 seconds or so and that can change both the exposure level as well as the white balance. If you shoot RAW, you have much greater leeway in adjusting to the changing conditions.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,580 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 07, 2012 00:26 |  #7

I am shooting a bball tomorrow..should I just K for my WB? Also, what lens would people recommend? I have a 85mm F1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, and a 300mm f2.8. I have 7d bodies.

Thanks

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 07, 2012 10:45 |  #8

#1's WB is pretty close. #2 is way too warm.

As for the game tomorrow, I would throw the 70-200 on one body and the 300 on the second body.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,580 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 07, 2012 13:22 |  #9

If I use the Kelvin Setting for WB while shooting Basketball what should I set it at? Also, what metering is the best to use?

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 08, 2012 22:02 |  #10

seaninsa wrote in post #15338516 (external link)
If I use the Kelvin Setting for WB while shooting Basketball what should I set it at? Also, what metering is the best to use?

Set your WB to 4000k and take some test shots. Usually while players are warming up is a good time. Check your histogram. If you find the entire image is still too yellow (ie. warm) for you, then dial down your WB 100k or 200k at a time until you're satisfied. When it comes to basketball indoors, I stick to manual exposure, so my meter doesn't matter.

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 11, 2012 13:09 |  #11

I have tried nearly everything and get best results with an Expodisc to set the custom white balance. Then I shoot RAW and adjust in Lightroom. There is no "blanket fix" you are going to do that will make them all look the same because the lighting is changing color as it cycles. That is why you have two images that look completely different. I've seen some folks insist that using auto white balance is better in these situations, but I prefer to have a known reference point to adjust from. The Expodisc leaves me with the least post work to do.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

sponsored links

2,485 views & 0 likes for this thread
College Basketball --- white balance?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.