Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Nov 2012 (Monday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Took Photos at a Masquerde event Saturday and i could use a little help....

SpongeforKnowledge
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 15:23 |  #1

please.

First, if you all dont mind, id appreciate critiques/alteration recommendations on the photos. The more constructive criticsm the better.

Im also planning on using smug mug for the first time with these images and would like to know if there's any ideal size i should resize the images too or is uploading the original files standard procedure. Also, any other info you could provide in regards to smug mug would be appreciated.

lastly, im interested in adding a company logo to the images......not sure how to do it or where to go to get it done. A link to a thread or any info on this would be much appreciated.

sponsored links
SpongeforKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 15:50 |  #2

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/IsHWV.jpg

SpongeforKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 15:51 |  #3

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/bgtRi.jpg

SpongeforKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 15:52 |  #4

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/Wvl62.jpg

SpongeforKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 15:54 |  #5

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/l0ffs.jpg

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 12, 2012 16:54 |  #6

If these are for sale directly from Smugmug, then I'd upload the full sized file. That's what I do anyway.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

SpongeforKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 17:21 |  #7

Biffbradford wrote in post #15238098 (external link)
If these are for sale directly from Smugmug, then I'd upload the full sized file. That's what I do anyway.

thanks

how do the colors look to you? I've recently recalibrated my monitor and want to make sure im not seeing them differently then others

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 12, 2012 18:25 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Ummm...personally I don't see anything special with the photos you ave posted. These are a dime a dozen and I am sure there are many floating around that were shot with p&s and phone cameras. That is just my honest opinion...which you did ask for.

Just don't see any money to be made here.

SpongeforKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 18:49 |  #9

Hogloff wrote in post #15238366 (external link)
Ummm...personally I don't see anything special with the photos you ave posted. These are a dime a dozen and I am sure there are many floating around that were shot with p&s and phone cameras. That is just my honest opinion...which you did ask for.

Just don't see any money to be made here.

its cool, im looking for candid opinions lol

thanks

what about the colors tho...my computer calibration may be off and im not able to recalibrate now.

Mind letting me know what the colors look like on ur side?

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,344 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 12, 2012 19:23 as a reply to  @ SpongeforKnowledge's post |  #10

The reds look over saturated to me.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

glumpy
388 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 12, 2012 19:44 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

The colours look ok to me ( my Monitor IS calibrated) but it looks like you were doing something like HDR. I think the effect is good as it gives the pics and " edge' and makes them look different to what people have probably seen elsewhere.

As for being nothing special, I earn a lot of money producing pics that are far less special than what is shown here. I understand from recent beratings that there seems to be a mindset here that photography for the sake of earning money and not putting the art first is a sin but some people just need to get their heads round the fact that other people may have different goals and objectives to them.

As Event pics I think you have done very well with these.
The posing is good, the props help make the shot as does the HDR look I think and I can see nothing wrong that would stop people buying the shots per se.

I don't know if this is the sort of feedback you are looking for but I would say the one HUGE thing you have missed with these pics is the benifit of the impulse buy.
Having them on a website will mean you only get a fraction of the sales you would have had you done onsite viewing and preferably printing.

I do a fair few event's like this and shoot and print onsite and let the people come up to see and buy the pics on spec. It works well and the thing everyone brings up in the cost of what you don't sell is insignificant. I spend $X on materials and sell $x worth and that's all I care about.

Onsite printing is not hard but it's not nessacary either. IF you can just present the pics on a decent size screen and take orders on the Night, That will get you a long way further tha any web sales as well. Witht he price of printers so cheap, If you were going to do these type of gigs with any regularity, you'd be mad not to buy a couple of inkers with a bulk ink system and pre print on the night.

You'd multiply your sales by 5 to 10 times no question.

From RDKirk: First, let me check the forum heading...yes, it does say "Business of Photography" and not "Hobby of Photography." Okay. So we're talking about making money, not about hobbies. By "business" I am presuming activities that pay expenses and produce a profit over the long term.

SpongeforKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 20:06 |  #12

glumpy wrote in post #15238634 (external link)
The colours look ok to me ( my Monitor IS calibrated) but it looks like you were doing something like HDR. I think the effect is good as it gives the pics and " edge' and makes them look different to what people have probably seen elsewhere.

As for being nothing special, I earn a lot of money producing pics that are far less special than what is shown here. I understand from recent beratings that there seems to be a mindset here that photography for the sake of earning money and not putting the art first is a sin but some people just need to get their heads round the fact that other people may have different goals and objectives to them.

As Event pics I think you have done very well with these.
The posing is good, the props help make the shot as does the HDR look I think and I can see nothing wrong that would stop people buying the shots per se.

I don't know if this is the sort of feedback you are looking for but I would say the one HUGE thing you have missed with these pics is the benifit of the impulse buy.
Having them on a website will mean you only get a fraction of the sales you would have had you done onsite viewing and preferably printing.

I do a fair few event's like this and shoot and print onsite and let the people come up to see and buy the pics on spec. It works well and the thing everyone brings up in the cost of what you don't sell is insignificant. I spend $X on materials and sell $x worth and that's all I care about.

Onsite printing is not hard but it's not nessacary either. IF you can just present the pics on a decent size screen and take orders on the Night, That will get you a long way further tha any web sales as well. Witht he price of printers so cheap, If you were going to do these type of gigs with any regularity, you'd be mad not to buy a couple of inkers with a bulk ink system and pre print on the night.

You'd multiply your sales by 5 to 10 times no question.

First off, thanks alot for taking the time to write all that...i really appreciate it.

But yea, I typically do on sight printing and this venue was prime real estate....only problem....the promoter was shooting for a cashless event.

We came to middle ground and I did onsight printing (for donations) and will be putting the pics on smug mug for the people im hoping will be interested in having better versions then what we were printing on spot.

Once again, thanks alot for the time you gave me. I appreciate it

SpongeforKnowledge
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 12, 2012 20:07 |  #13

Dan Marchant wrote in post #15238571 (external link)
The reds look over saturated to me.

thanks

brett201
85 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 12, 2012 20:17 |  #14

SpongeforKnowledge wrote in post #15238166 (external link)
thanks

how do the colors look to you? I've recently recalibrated my monitor and want to make sure im not seeing them differently then others

You are seeing things differently from others. Monitors differ wildly.

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 12, 2012 20:44 |  #15

'benifit of the impulse buy'
This is where you will make some fast $$$. What I did at one event was as I sold images to clients I would have them pay up front, then send them via email a high res and mobile small size res. (FB size image).
They would get them right there that night on thier cell phone via email.. I think a lot of people out there dont care to much about getting paper prints any more.. CD , DVD & Email copies.

I had a co worker help with the imaging, PP & laptop work..

good luck..

'benifit of the impulse buy'

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Took Photos at a Masquerde event Saturday and i could use a little help....
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.