Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Nov 2012 (Monday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C-Stands: Which brand? Does it matter??

Aressem
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 12, 2012 21:30 |  #1

I want to buy a C-Stand or two. I had the pleasure of assisting a friend who owns one (Matthews). I borrowed it and fell in love. I'm looking on BHphoto and I see a few brands. They all have pretty solid 4.5 to 5/5 reviews. Does it really matter which brand I go with?... honestly?! Enlighten me POTN.

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 12, 2012 21:43 |  #2

I've used C stands in a variety of studio situations over the years. I think they are more or less the same.
A friend had a C stand from Cheetahstand that was nice, easy to break down into base and upright and not egregiously heavy. It seems that its a bit less costly than the others as well.

Maybe worth a try. I wish I'd had a C stand Saturday night, wind blew my speedlite over twice. Now it won't swivel.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 12, 2012 22:04 |  #3

Well, I just read a review on this IMPACT C-Stand and he raved about it. I think I might pull the trigger on this bad boy unless any of you have a solid reason to persuade my decision.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ster_Century_C_​Stand.html (external link)

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 12, 2012 22:52 |  #4

I don't know, you can do the comparison.
They may be made in the same factory and just shipped to different destinations. :-)

http://www.cheetahstan​d.com …ry-Stand-with-Grip/Detail (external link)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 13, 2012 00:28 |  #5

I have matthews and avenger and both rock.

Get at least one C-stand with wheels. Trust me on that.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 13, 2012 00:36 |  #6

avengers and matthews...bullet proof... ask the people making movies in Hollywood.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

Aressem
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 13, 2012 00:45 |  #7

PhilF wrote in post #15239432 (external link)
avengers and matthews...bullet proof... ask the people making movies in Hollywood.

Thanks Phil. Can you do me a favour though and take a look at the images for the one I linked above and give me your honest opinion? I agree with buying quality equipment which is why I bought my Elinchrom ranger. I certainly don't want to risk breaking it by cheesing out on grip equipment, but this impact c-stand looks undeniably well made. I just want a few more opinions. Thanks!

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 13, 2012 01:58 |  #8

Matthews, Modern, and Avenger are the three most commonly used. Avengers are very heavy and have a few extra features like rubber on the knobs. Matthews are pretty light but will last longer than you will. Modern will also last as long as you but will degrade in appearance and look like trash after the first day (I don't know how that happens).

Personally, I have Avengers because I can get them on Amazon Prime next day. I always seem to need another C stand immediately. When working on set with rental gear it's always Matthews or Modern.

PS Make sure you know how to safely use the c stand. There are several good youtube videos. It's very easy to create a disaster with an improperly set cstand (ask me how I know). And you 100% need a sand bag for every stand you buy. Don't skip that step (trust me).

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 13, 2012 02:07 |  #9

The one you linked is fine, it has the quick-locking base which i found to be very interesting!

Definitely remember to sandbag them, people put them down and feel a sturdy a base and completely forget to sandbag.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

kawikao
102 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 13, 2012 05:29 |  #10

I have Avengers all with wheels. I have one A2033 with wheels from ebay and two A5033 stands. All with heads and 40" arms. They are heavy but I like that. GL

Jarrad
801 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 13, 2012 07:52 |  #11

Aressem wrote in post #15239076 (external link)
Well, I just read a review on this IMPACT C-Stand and he raved about it. I think I might pull the trigger on this bad boy unless any of you have a solid reason to persuade my decision.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ster_Century_C_​Stand.html (external link)

I have one of those. It's fine, very heavy and sturdy. The spring loaded legs system is faster to work with than some others and will make a difference in you have to set up a bunch of them. The grip heads tend to stick for the first few weeks of use so if you get one be sure to have a long screwdriver with you to pry it free.

I shoot primarily on location so I prefer the Matthews sliding leg system.

.com (external link)

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 13, 2012 08:31 |  #12

The Impact C-Stand you linked is made by Kupo, and they make quality grip gear. I would buy the one you linked, which comes with 2 heads and a grip arm.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2012 10:27 |  #13

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15239415 (external link)
I have matthews and avenger and both rock.

Get at least one C-stand with wheels. Trust me on that.

never heard one with wheels. Link please?

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 13, 2012 10:28 |  #14

get Mathews or avenger.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

Dave ­ Jr
Goldmember
1,873 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 13, 2012 12:21 |  #15

bobbyz wrote in post #15240565 (external link)
get Mathews or avenger.

I generally agree with this statement, but not in this case.

Dave Jr - MN
5 (external link)px | Gear

sponsored links

3,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
C-Stands: Which brand? Does it matter??
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.