Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 13 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 12:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

F-22 Raptor - Nellis Aviation Nation

VegasBoz
372 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 13, 2012 12:31 |  #1

I was out assisting with a photo-shoot for the F-22 pilot & family at the Nellis Aviation Nation on Sunday and brought my gear with me to capture a few shots for myself. I've never seen the F-22 demo before and I've been at Nellis for 7 years. LOL I'm glad I brought my gear for sure!

I had a few lessons learned and maybe next year I'll try again, but I liked this picture I was able to grab:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Taken with:
1D4
300mm 2.8 w/2x III extender

sponsored links
SkyBaby
Goldmember
1,202 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 13, 2012 12:35 |  #2

Wow! The detail is amazing!

~Kira~
Check out my Flickr for lots of aviation and nature related photography: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/skys_flickr/
Check out my Facebook fan page for my best of the best imagery. Give it a thumbs up if you like what you see! https://www.facebook.c​om/PhotographybyKiraAn​dreola (external link)

Shhhnacks
110 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 13, 2012 12:42 |  #3

This is a great shot JC! I was along the fence line right in front of the Thunderbirds. I love how the aircraft pass right thru us as they head out to take off. The pilot of this Raptor made sure to wave and point at every photog.

John
FLICKR (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,357 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 13, 2012 12:44 as a reply to  @ Shhhnacks's post |  #4

Excellent! I didn't go this year; maybe when I get something longer than my 70-200, it'll respark my interest :)

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

VegasBoz
THREAD ­ STARTER
372 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 13, 2012 13:24 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #5

Thanks all.

I can't tell you how lucky I am to have gotten this shot. When I got to the photoshoot my battery indicator was blinking. :mad: I had shot hockey the night before and for the airshow I brought a lighter bag and left the spare battery in my main bag. The battery showed 1/2 the night before so I thought I was good to go. I manged to get several shots of the demo and then a few of him taxiing in and getting hosed down before my camera died.

Lessons learned:

1. Remember to check battery that morning or remember to bring your spare battery. (ugh...still shaking my head on this one)

2. Handholding my 300mm during an airshow demo is NOT the same as handholding during the sports I shoot. You get a break between plays whereas the demo is constant. I need to work out more...or get the 300 2.8 II :)

3. Most important: focus searching when shooting at 600mm is disastrous! I quickly re-adjusted to make sure I was focused on a point about 300 yrds away (runway distance marker) and THEN lift up to find the aircraft as it was approaching. I missed two passes due to not being able to find it in the sky as he was approaching. LOL ( I use the center focal point but that did NOT help with trying to get him in frame...I just couldn't find him in the blurred sea of blue)

Oh well... I'm happy I got a few keepers and will remember this stuff for next year.

hayath
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 13, 2012 13:36 |  #6

Stunning detail on this, also like the trails.

Would've preferred a slightly looser crop

Hayath
Blog (external link) |
Instagram (external link)

MrClark7
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 13, 2012 14:21 |  #7

beautiful plane and shot.

Canon 1Dmark3, 6D, 17/40L, 24/70 L, 70/200 is f4, sigma 50 1.4
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

JGunn
642 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 13, 2012 16:34 |  #8

Great shot!

J.Gunn - Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
flickr (external link)
Canon 1D MkIV | 24mm f/2.8 IS USM • 50mm f/1.4 USM • 100mm f/2.8L IS USM • 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Kenko DG Ext Tubes

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,074 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 13, 2012 16:51 |  #9

Fantastic shot

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 13, 2012 19:16 |  #10

Excellent light on it!

VegasBoz wrote in post #15241226 (external link)
3. Most important: focus searching when shooting at 600mm is disastrous!

I've often wondered if they could software limit the distance focus as they do with the close focus of the 70-200.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

1,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
F-22 Raptor - Nellis Aviation Nation
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.