Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 18:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Really confused about flash inside

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 13, 2012 18:02 |  #1

Confused about white balance with multiple light sources. Cameras have a fluorescent setting or incandescent setting and flash....well most people today use CF bulbs. My living room has CF bulbs but they are inside a glass lamp shade that is an orange color, so it gives off a soft amber glow instead of what fluorescent is supposed to be (greenish). This leaves me scratching my head when taking pics inside.mwhat exactly is incandescent light and how do I mix inside light with flash? I tried a 1/2 cto gel and got really funky results...

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 13, 2012 23:20 |  #2

incandescent light (external link)

...and how do I mix inside light with flash?

Totally New at Flash: Where Do I Start?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,237 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 13, 2012 23:27 |  #3

You can only have one white balance. So if you try to compromise by picking a balance between two sources you end up with two badly colored sources. The best thing to do is to gel your flash to match the predominant ambient light source. Adding an CTO (organge) gel to your flash will balance it with tungsten light, fluorescent is harder to match as the color temp is less consistent to begin with and can change as the tubes age, but usually a green gel of some sort is helpful. Pick the wb in the camera that matches the ambient, then use the gelled flash.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 14, 2012 05:50 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #4

But I'm confused about lights with shades. The actual bulb may be CF, but the shade on it has a different color cast. Also, is CF green in color like regular fluorescents that you would find in say a gym? And what the heck is tungsten?

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 14, 2012 05:54 as a reply to  @ jeljohns's post |  #5

From what I can tell no one uses the old incandescent bulbs in their homes anymore....this is why I'm confused on what to use inside!

kawikao
102 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 14, 2012 06:10 |  #6

Get a grey card and test it out with the light sources isolated and combined. I take it into lightroom and it tells me what the temp is and what green/magenta shifts have occurred. If after auto-white balancing in LR I still see a cast to red or blue I'll get a gel that corrects it. Once I know the deal I'll go into my camera and set a specific white balance temp and shift. Rosco has a very cool tool to view their luminosity charts for all their gels on their web site. GL

convergent
Goldmember
2,211 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 14, 2012 06:22 |  #7

First off, people do still use incadescent bulbs.

The colored shade is not a problem because I assume you want that mood lighting to be part of the feel of your picture. So you'd balance for the light beneath, and your image should then look correct. I've done some concert work and they use all different changing colored lights. You want the colors in the picture. What you don't want is an I intended color cast from the light source.

The best way to del with complex lighting is to do a custom white balance. Get a target or grey card and put it in the light of the picture. Use that to set custom and or as a target for adjustments during processing. If you can't get to where the subject is to do this, use an expodisc and shoot into the light source.

Mike - Victory Photo (external link) | Full Gear List | Feedback
5D3 gripped - 7D2 gripped - 17-40L f/4 - 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM - 24-70L f/2.8 II - 70-200L f/2.8 IS II - 100-400 L f/4.6-5.6 IS II
135L f/2 - 300L f/2.8 IS - Siggy 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, 100 f/2.8 Macro - TC1.4 II - TC2 III - (2) 600EX-RT - ST-E3-RT

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 14, 2012 06:53 |  #8

I get that I should do custom white balance, but doesn't that only balance one light source?

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Nov 14, 2012 07:08 |  #9

jeljohns wrote in post #15244060 (external link)
I get that I should do custom white balance, but doesn't that only balance one light source?

Doing a "custom white balance" setup will (assuming the light has a full range of colors in it) create a "proper" balance for the light that fell on the test target. If all of the light (from different type sources) that is falling on the scene is equally mixed and the test shot was using light representative of that falling on the whole scene, then the results are what one would expect when using a "custom white balance". However, if one portion of the scene is illuminated by flash and another portion by incandescent lights and another portion by some other light source, it will be quite impossible to get the camera to make the whole scene look as if it were lit by the same type of lighting.

As mentioned above, the solution is to gel one or more light sources so that ALL the light sources appear to be the same color. Then, and only then, one can make a single color correction (either in the camera using "custom white balance" setup or in post-processing) and get the whole scene corrected and looking the same.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,851 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2012 08:26 |  #10

jeljohns wrote in post #15243944 (external link)
From what I can tell no one uses the old incandescent bulbs in their homes anymore....this is why I'm confused on what to use inside!

All the bulbs in my home are incandescent.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,851 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 14, 2012 08:28 |  #11

Gel your flash to match the indoor ambient light source and then shoot with a colour temp between 2900 & 3300. If you shoot RAW you can fine tune later. Since I shoot RAW it does not really matter what temp I shoot at but prefer around 3200 so it looks somewhat normal when I chimp.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,237 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2012 09:14 |  #12

Lots of commercial spaces still use incandescent bulbs as retrofitting recessed lighting fixtures and suspended fixtures to CFL/LCD is sometimes cost prohibitive.

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 14, 2012 09:22 |  #13

Yes. Don't over think this. Custom balance for the part of the subject that you want to look "natural", or "correct". Let the rest of the background lights go to whatever color they are. This is what provides the mood of the room.

Otherwise you'll have to gel the other lights to match your main light CB, OR gel the main light to match the other lights CB.
And there's nothing you can do about the shade that is an orange color, except to change it.

Read this: White balance not ...balanced? What am I doing wrong?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 14, 2012 09:35 |  #14

jeljohns wrote in post #15242243 (external link)
My living room has CF bulbs but they are inside a glass lamp shade that is an orange color, so it gives off a soft amber glow instead of what fluorescent is supposed to be (greenish).

CFL bulbs can be colour balanced towards traditional incandescent lighting. If you have a box lying around it might even specify the colour temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …nt_lamp#Spectru​m_of_light (external link)

Joel

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,237 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2012 09:37 |  #15

joeblack2022 wrote in post #15244484 (external link)
CFL bulbs can be colour balanced towards traditional incandescent lighting. If you have a box lying around it might even specify the colour temperature.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …nt_lamp#Spectru​m_of_light (external link)

And the lottery pays off one in 12 million times. :) Maybe some are more accurately rated than others, but I've not found those ratings to be very accurate at all.

sponsored links

1,712 views & 0 likes for this thread
Really confused about flash inside
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.