Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 09:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DmkIII. Did I hype it too much for myself?

bluefire7
190 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2012 09:50 |  #1

Hey all, I recently purchased the 5DmkIII due to the stellar reviews pretty much everywhere and anywhere. I will preface this, with the fact that I've only shot 1 wedding with it so far and a few family/engagement sessions, so my usage hasn't been hugely significant yet. I do love the new features, such as the dual card slots and the fact that I can actually use the other outer focus points. However, am I in the minority that doesn't care about the 41 cross-types? I feel like my shooting has become slower due to the time now necessary to get to the focus point I need, whereas with the mkII, I would simply point the multi-controller in any of the 8 directions. I mean I know with the mkIII I can use the 9 point option as well, but I did prefer the more spread-out diamond format of the mkII.

My biggest complaint, however, is that shooting in low-light, the focus locking is CRAZY slow (even with focus-assist from my 580EXII). I know it's been addressed in previous threads, but has anyone actually found a fix for this? shooting in low-light receptions is so much more frustrating to me now, since I never really had a problem with the mkII locking focus (with the center point, obviously). I think I'll give it a few more weddings, but I feel like maybe I should just go back to the mkII for receptions to lock immediately. People here have said that the mkIII does, in fact lock focus, but there is a delay in the confirmation beep/red flash that it actually has locked on. I hate "guessing" if it has locked on or not, and feel that paying so much more for the mkIII, it should be an improvement in 99% of all aspects over the mkII, so this just kind of irks me a little.

Other than that, I mean it's a great camera, and of course I don't regret the purchase, but I shouldn't be considering using the mkII over the mkIII in ANY situation.

Canon 5DmkIV | Canon 16-35 F2.8L II, Canon 100 F2.8L Macro, Canon 135 F2L, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II, Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II, Sigma 50 F1.4 ART, Sigma 85 F1.4, | Canon 600 RT, Canon 580 EXII, Canon 430 EXII | Radiopopper JrX's
NY Wedding Photographer (external link):eek:
LIKE Us (external link):cool:

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 15, 2012 10:06 |  #2

Honestly, I haven't noticed a decline in reception performance. Have I at times noticed the deliberate nature of focus acquisition? Yes. But for me, it's not enough to be a show stopper.

I've used 1 series bodies and high end Nikon bodies before, so I am used to the > 9 AF points. I hate having only 9 points to compose. It sucks.

That said, you aren't the first to mention the slow focus acquisition, so there's something to that.

It's been a while since I've used the 5D2. Wish I had one so I can compare. All I know is that I've gone through the 2013 season using the 5D3 and I've been VERY happy with it.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 15, 2012 10:27 |  #3

bluefire7 wrote in post #15248584 (external link)
My biggest complaint, however, is that shooting in low-light, the focus locking is CRAZY slow (even with focus-assist from my 580EXII). I know it's been addressed in previous threads, but has anyone actually found a fix for this? shooting in low-light receptions is so much more frustrating to me now, since I never really had a problem with the mkII locking focus (with the center point, obviously). I think I'll give it a few more weddings, but I feel like maybe I should just go back to the mkII for receptions to lock immediately. People here have said that the mkIII does, in fact lock focus, but there is a delay in the confirmation beep/red flash that it actually has locked on. I hate "guessing" if it has locked on or not, and feel that paying so much more for the mkIII, it should be an improvement in 99% of all aspects over the mkII, so this just kind of irks me a little.

Welcome to my world. :lol:

After using the 5D3 all season I've pretty much gotten used to it, but it REALLY sucks. I thought about going back to a 5D2 for receptions but it won't work with the 600EX flashes in Group mode, so that rules out that option.

I have a 6D on preorder - curious to see if it's any better. If so I'll probably use that for receptions. Center point on the 6D is supposed to be rated for -3EV where the 5D3 is rated to -2EV.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

bluefire7
THREAD ­ STARTER
190 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2012 10:51 |  #4

Thanks for the input guys. Nick, your great review of the mkIII was one of the reasons I got it.. haha. And yea, I read your reply on the other threads regarding that issue too.. i really wonder if it's a quality issue or simply a tolerance/patience thing that I simply have to get over.

and yea, Tim, I'd be curious as well. Although I've read in one 6D review that the 3EV is just marketing-speak (eg- contrast ratio on HDTV's). If I find it again, I'll definitely post it. I'd be curious as to how you like it though. On paper it looks like a VERY nice replacement for the mkII.

Canon 5DmkIV | Canon 16-35 F2.8L II, Canon 100 F2.8L Macro, Canon 135 F2L, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II, Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS II, Sigma 50 F1.4 ART, Sigma 85 F1.4, | Canon 600 RT, Canon 580 EXII, Canon 430 EXII | Radiopopper JrX's

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 15, 2012 11:20 as a reply to  @ bluefire7's post |  #5

Its a little slow, but like Nickson, not a deal breaker and im used to it as well.........servo works better so i leave it in servo and go back to one shot for formals or if im shooting shallow.

Guess what.......1Dx does the same thing:eek::eek: and the 5D2 is faster on the center point:eek::eek:

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 15, 2012 17:09 |  #6

bluefire7,
note that the 600ex-rt has a 61 AF points that's compatibility with the 61-point auto-focus of Canon EOS 1D X and EOS 5D Mark III
the 580ex2 has only 45points. i think if you use one of the points that are outside the 45points of the 580ex2, its hard to focus. this is one excuse i got to upgrade to the 600ex-rt
Scott

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 15, 2012 17:36 |  #7

Im not finding any issues with slow focusing on my 5d3s?? I have two of them and they work perfectly fine even in very dim reception lighting/dancing shots..

I use 600ex flashes btw.

For me I would never go back to 5d2.

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,942 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 15, 2012 19:14 |  #8

Someone in the new Canon forums stated this. Thought the AF focus assist light was weaker in strength on the 600 than the 580. This OP stated it was very difficult and frustrating to focus with this combo. I have not been in the field yet with this combo but have done lot's of tests in low light after the sun goes down around the house.

In really dark rooms AF kicks on as soon as the AF assist light hits the target. There is a split second delay before this happens. When I shut the flash off it is very fast if there is some contrast at the focus point.

A little slower than my old 5D2. Have not really noticed yet with my tests. I have no issue with a split second delay if it exists. The outer focus points and the focus accuracy improvements supersede that. For me anyway.

The OP did not have a lot of good things to say. Perhaps adjustment new gear syndrome? It happens.

http://forums.usa.cano​n.com …non-600EX-RT/m-p/951#U951 (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 15, 2012 19:32 |  #9

bluefire7 wrote in post #15248862 (external link)
Thanks for the input guys. Nick, your great review of the mkIII was one of the reasons I got it.. haha. And yea, I read your reply on the other threads regarding that issue too.. i really wonder if it's a quality issue or simply a tolerance/patience thing that I simply have to get over.

and yea, Tim, I'd be curious as well. Although I've read in one 6D review that the 3EV is just marketing-speak (eg- contrast ratio on HDTV's). If I find it again, I'll definitely post it. I'd be curious as to how you like it though. On paper it looks like a VERY nice replacement for the mkII.

Well, I hold Tim and you in high regard. StephenAndrew is also another one with similar issues and I hold him in high regard as well.

There's no doubt in my mind you guys are encountering issues. I can't say for sure it's about different tolerance levels. I find it difficult to believe all three of you would have the same issues. It's no a coincidence.

My season is over, so I'll have to wait until 2013 to re-evaluate things. Like I said, I've notice the deliberateness at times. It's just not bad enough for me to hate the 5D3. Overall, I've had a very positive experience with the camera.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 15, 2012 19:34 |  #10

umphotography wrote in post #15248968 (external link)
Its a little slow, but like Nickson, not a deal breaker and im used to it as well.........servo works better so i leave it in servo and go back to one shot for formals or if im shooting shallow.

Guess what.......1Dx does the same thing:eek::eek: and the 5D2 is faster on the center point:eek::eek:

Yup. I use servo a lot at receptions. Maybe I am in denial! :)
But b/c the 5D3 is great in servo mode, unlike the 5D2, I find it great. I mean, shooting people dancing using my 50L @f1.2 in servo mode and non-center AF point? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about! :)

bluefire7
THREAD ­ STARTER
190 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 16, 2012 09:37 |  #11

yea, i definitely agree that the servo is fantastic on the mkIII. really love it for that. i guess i'll just grin and bear it, and hopefully like digitalparadise said, i just have to try and get used to it. as far as getting the 600EX-RT, i would LOVE to, but i'm using the center point on the mkIII too, just to do comparisons and it's still locking slower than the mkII, so unfortunately i can't use that excuse to get it, haha. if i were to get it, i'd be getting 3 or 4 to replace my OCF setup, so it's a huge investment, and probably not one i'd make at least for several months to a year. maybe even when the exII's inevitably come out =(

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 01, 2012 23:14 |  #12

While it's true that the 600EX-RT speedlights aren't fully compatible with the 5D2 (which I use), I can still set up my remote flashes as Group B (at whatever power I want) and my on-camera flash as Group A (at a different power than group B). This is all in manual mode. It's true that I cannot put one Group into E-TTL and one group into Manual but I don't really care about that so much since, when I'm using remote flashes, the environment is fairly controlled and I can figure out the different power settings for Groups A & B (and C, if I use my ST-E3 on-camera) fairly quickly. I have also had no issues with HSS or max-sync-speed (when using the 600EX-RT with my 5D2), despite what the manual says about 'pre-2012' cameras. Good to know about the 5D3's slow-focus in low-light.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

Bpesca
41 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 05, 2012 06:10 |  #13

I have found it to focus quickly and dead on, even in low light situations. My number of keepers has gone up and it's relieving to have a camera work so well in servo! Add in all the extra features and the low-light capability and I'm more than happy with the 5D3 over my 5D2 and my 1dsII

1Ds Mark II
24-70L
70-200L f2.8 II
Brian Pescatore Photography Facebook (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 08, 2012 21:40 |  #14

My only real complaint with the camera is that the SD card slot only writes at 133x, not at 800x like the CF slot. And when you dual write, both write at 133x. That ****ing pisses me off.

I shoot all my receptions with the infamously slow 85L II and I dont see much difference with other cameras like the 1D3 or 5D2. I am pleased with the production. make sure that when you are in low light, you have it on One Shot. I use Servo until it is too dark, then I switch.

I have found it focuses quicker and more accurately than the 5D2. And I am not stuck in the blasted center AF spot.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 09, 2012 14:59 |  #15

Thomas, I agree completely. If it had 2 CF slots, that would be much better.

As it is, I have relegated the SD slot to jpeg backup, which I hate, but it's better than no backup slot.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

sponsored links

5,646 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DmkIII. Did I hype it too much for myself?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.