Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 15 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7d for basketball but is singlepoint the best focus selection?

C_Heath31
409 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 15, 2012 20:10 |  #1

Sometimes on a fast break, if I try a 3 to 5 shot burst, if the 1st frame is focused incorrectly, say, on the crowd. I have a hard time letting off the button and getting it to refocuse on the player. Does anyone have any luck with any other selection? Getting frustrated.

Thanks

Canon 7D, 1DmkIII, canon 1.8 prime, 70-200 2.8L

sponsored links
Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 15, 2012 21:19 |  #2

Hello, you could move your focus point up one notch..
How is your 7D set up for sports.. here is some info I got from another area...
Canon 7D Sports Settings
As the other settings I can't take credit for these either, but I found these settings on SportsShooter.

Picture Style - Standard (but sharpness upped to 4)

C.Fn III: Autofocus Drive
1 - AI Servo tracking Sensitivity: Set to -1
2 - AI Servo 1st/2nd img priority - Set to 0 - AF priority/Tracking Priority
3 - AI Servo Tracking Method - Set to 0 - Main Focus point priority (that way the camera focuses on what you want, not what it wants)
4 - Lens Drive when AF impossible - Set to 0
5 - AF Microadjustment - Set to 0 (Most people have said this is ineffective. Even the manual says it needs to be done on location where you are shooting to do any good.)
6 - AF area select mode - I have single point w/expansion selected and single point. Been shooting mostly on single point w/expansion for sports.
7 - AF Manual pt. selection pattern - Set to 1 (Continuous)
8 - VF display illumination - set to 1 (Enable)
9 - Display all AF points - Set to 0
10 - Focus Display in AI Servo/MF - Set to 0
11 - AF-assist beam firing - set to 2 (Enable to external flash only)
12 - Orientation linked AF point - Set to 0
13 - Mirror lockup - Set to 0 (Disable)

C.FN IV: Operations/Others
Shutter button is set to Meter only
AF-ON button is turned OFF (too easy to hit accidentally)
AE lock button (*) is set for metering and AF Start

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

djkevin314
155 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 15, 2012 21:20 |  #3

Picture would help? How are you focusing. Are using the shutter button? Do some research on how to use the back button.

OK, I cannot take credit for the 7D setting because I do not have one. But I found these settings a long time ago on the Texas Photo Forum and have sent them to many of our photographers and received many OMG! emails.

Picture Style - Standard (but sharpness upped to 4) You may even what to go higher. I use one click under max with my Mark III and Mark II N
3 - AI Servo Tracking Method - Set to 0 - Main Focus point priority (that way the camera focuses on what you want, not what it wants)
5 - AF Microadjustment - Set to 0 (Most people have said this is ineffective. Even the manual says it needs to be done on location where you are shooting to do any good.)
6 - AF area select mode - I have single point w/expansion selected and single point. Been shooting mostly on single point w/expansion for sports.

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,651 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 16, 2012 06:53 as a reply to  @ djkevin314's post |  #4

Chris,

First, learn to shoot with back button focus. If you are going to be shooting sports primarily, the sooner you get that done the better. It will take a little while but it will become second nature fairly quickly.

Second, for the problem you describe, the issue is that the camera is tracking the background too long before changing over to the player on the fast break. You need a greater sensitivity not less. Try 0 first and then perhaps a +1 depending on the sport and situation.

Next, if see that you are not focused on the player you want, put the focus point on the player and "Bump Focus". Bump focus is when you let off the back button (focus) for just an instant and then push it back in just as soon as the focus point is where you want it. That will expedite the re-focusing on the player you want to shoot. In basketball, players are often obscured by other players or the refs temporarily. Learn to bump focus.

Surrounding focus points? I use a few depending on the detail/contrast available to focus upon in the uniforms. A very dark, solid color, uniform may be hard to focus upon unless there is an area of contrast visible to the focus point.

Last, remember that the better your skills are at keeping the focus point exactly where you want it, the less you will need the camera body to guess what you want it to do.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 16, 2012 07:59 |  #5

Joe300 wrote in post #15251214 (external link)
Hello, you could move your focus point up one notch..
How is your 7D set up for sports.. here is some info I got from another area...
Canon 7D Sports Settings
As the other settings I can't take credit for these either, but I found these settings on SportsShooter.

Picture Style - Standard (but sharpness upped to 4)

Holy crap, this is why I stayed with my 50d, single point focus, ai servo. But my wife says I am lazy:oops:

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2012 08:12 |  #6

Good advice so far. Here are a couple other tips from a former 7D basketball shooter for you:

1. Focus mode: I always used the centerpoint only, with dot inside focus square. This should keep the focus squarely on your intended target and not release from your target if a stray arm comes into the frame.

2. Be ready and start your focus effort EARLY in the sequence of a player on a fast break. Like WELL before the mid-court line. This way you can give the 7D enough time to acquire focus, then track the player and shoot a burst of 3-4 frames during the layup or dunk to get the best shot.

3. Definitely assign focus AWAY from the shutter (half depressed) and to the * button on upper right rear of camera body. When you do this, keep the * button (now is your focus button) depressed while shooting in AI Servo. This technique keeps the lens continuously focusing during shooting.

Here's an example of picking up focus on a player early in a fast break situation and shooting a burst of 2-3 frames to get the peak action shot:

7D and 85mm f/1.8 at f/2, 1/640 on shutter:

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5175/5498632306_4f8798640e_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …erphotography/5​498632306/  (external link)
IMG_4742 (external link) by snyderman3 (external link), on Flickr

Good luck. You've got a great tool in the 7D for shooting basketball.

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Nov 16, 2012 08:32 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #7

" ... then track the player and shoot a burst of 3-4 frames during the layup or dunk to get the best shot."

+1 - doing this I sometimes get 3-4 OOF, but usually get one very good one. <link (external link)>

You can re-focus with front button also just by lifting your finger then pushing half-way down again (I'm still not to back-button yet).

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

nigpd
376 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 16, 2012 09:26 |  #8

Joe300 wrote in post #15251214 (external link)

My flickr (external link)

C_Heath31
THREAD ­ STARTER
409 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 16, 2012 10:21 |  #9

Of 67 keepers, this is the best I have. To me, its "fuzzy" and not sharp at all. At maximum size before any editing it was just horrible. My finished product is " so good" to most parents but to me it sucks.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 16, 2012 10:43 as a reply to  @ C_Heath31's post |  #10

^^^^^^^
I would have to,agree a little fuzzy, it almost looks like the "cms" on her leg is where the focus was sharpest, on my screen anyway.

jaxhouse
107 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 16, 2012 11:09 |  #11

snyderman wrote in post #15252598 (external link)
3. Definitely assign focus AWAY from the shutter (half depressed) and to the * button on upper right rear of camera body. When you do this, keep the * button (now is your focus button) depressed while shooting in AI Servo. This technique keeps the lens continuously focusing during shooting.

I've been considering trying the back button af on my 7D...why assign it to the * instead of the AF-on button?

If you assign it to the * then what do you assign to the AF-on?

Jack Baker Photos (external link)
1DX Mark 2/ Canon EOS 7D Mark 2-gripped/ EOS 7D-gripped/ EOS Rebel T3/ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM/ EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM/ EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM/ EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS/ EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II/ EF 50mm f/1.4 USM/ EF 85mm f/1.8 USM/ Extender EF 2x III/ Speedlite 600EX-RT/ (3) Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II/ Yongnuo RF-603C Flash Trigger

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,795 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 16, 2012 12:45 |  #12

C_Heath31 wrote in post #15253060 (external link)
Of 67 keepers, this is the best I have. To me, its "fuzzy" and not sharp at all. At maximum size before any editing it was just horrible. My finished product is " so good" to most parents but to me it sucks.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

I have a 40D and have the same problem
Parents love them
and I agree to me they suck

I may try to finniggle my settings tonight like the 7D post above as much as possible
Im sure there are differences

great info everyone
keep it coming for dummies like me

thanks a lot

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

C_Heath31
THREAD ­ STARTER
409 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 16, 2012 12:53 |  #13

im gonna make these setting changes and then shoot a game. After that, ill try back button. If that dont work ill sell the sucker. Way too many choices out there for this. I dont like fuzzy and I feel that my settings are not off. I worked the shutter down to iso 1000 and 1/500 at the end of the game and still, fuzzy. I hate fuzzy!

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,795 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 16, 2012 13:05 |  #14

heath hang in there
I have
I was terrible
now Im maybe fair

BB focus helps a lot
setting help a lot
and knowing the game helps a lot

I got better by reading POTN
great stuff

keep shooting
only way to get better

Trust me these guys and gals know their stuff

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,014 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2012 23:10 |  #15

Snyderman writes "3. Definitely assign focus AWAY from the shutter (half depressed) and to the * button on upper right rear of camera body. When you do this, keep the * button (now is your focus button) depressed while shooting in AI Servo. This technique keeps the lens continuously focusing during shooting."

Is assigning * button, what they mean by back button focus. Also, let me see if I am clear on this, are you saying hold down the * button, as it will continue to focus as you fire off a burst of 3-4 shots when hitting the shutter button.

My Gear flickr (external link)

sponsored links

8,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
7d for basketball but is singlepoint the best focus selection?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.