Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D mk3 problem

londonbairn
181 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 16, 2012 08:32 |  #136

Have you seen what http://eoscount.com/ (external link) shows?

i.e. are actuations what you expect?

sponsored links
simon ­ n
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2012 08:36 |  #137

I know i took just under 1,500 pics in NYC, and maybe another 200 or so in the meantime.. so certainly less than 2,000.

I'll try eoscount tonight, thanks.

kwando
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 16, 2012 08:36 |  #138

Wow!! Can't believe what been going on... I would be sick to my stomach if this happened to me. Like someone said earlier, being an armature this is the most expensive piece of equipment I've ever purchased for something I don't use daily. If this happened to me I would be ALOT more pissed than you are. Way to stay calm and hope DR takes care of you, BUT regardless I would still post a video on YouTube with your encounter so that others are aware.

~Simon~
My Gear | My Feedback | Smugmug (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1213134

londonbairn
181 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 16, 2012 08:37 as a reply to  @ simon n's post |  #139

It will show you how many actuations the camera has (apparently the most accurate method available) and serial.

I have used it, to make sure every body I have got is 0. Not that I have ever had an issue.

digitl
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 16, 2012 08:45 as a reply to  @ londonbairn's post |  #140

Simon

Are you sure you want to send it back to DR? Once you have done that you lose control: they have the camera, you only have the Internet.

If you keep it and go the credit card route, you keep the camera until the credit card company have agreed with you on what to do. From experience, it's likely they'll agree a refund, ask you to send them the camera and then credit your card.

Good luck!

djames
219 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 16, 2012 08:51 |  #141

rafster wrote in post #15252711 (external link)
It will show you how many actuations the camera has (apparently the most accurate method available) and serial.

I have used it, to make sure every body I have got is 0. Not that I have ever had an issue.

I used it in the past and there was quite a big difference for me.

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 16, 2012 08:54 |  #142

Just wanted to say good luck ! Hope it works out.

simon ­ n
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2012 09:04 |  #143

digitl wrote in post #15252732 (external link)
Simon

Are you sure you want to send it back to DR? Once you have done that you lose control: they have the camera, you only have the Internet.

If you keep it and go the credit card route, you keep the camera until the credit card company have agreed with you on what to do. From experience, it's likely they'll agree a refund, ask you to send them the camera and then credit your card.

Good luck!

I've got to send it back, it's the provisio of the card company. I cannot keep goods, and have a refund too.

digitl
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 16, 2012 09:24 |  #144

simon n wrote in post #15252815 (external link)
I've got to send it back, it's the provisio of the card company. I cannot keep goods, and have a refund too.

My credit card company asked me to send my faulty camera back to them as the retailer wouldn't give me the refund I wanted.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 16, 2012 10:52 |  #145

Domino1999 wrote in post #15248906 (external link)
^this raises serious concerns.

Suppose I lived and worked in HK for a number of years and bought a Canon Mk-whatever while I was over there. Then I moved back to the UK some years later. Are Canon UK saying they won't touch my camera even though I'm paying for the repair? I simply can't believe this....

ink the only reason Canon won't service this camera is the fact that it's been re-labelled before it was sold. If you have an Asian badged camera, out of warranty and you were paying for the repair I'm sure that the UK service centres will fix it.

Simon, I bought my 5D3 from Hdew Cameras in the UK and it came with a 3 year in house warranty, but they use official Canon service centres for their warranty work. This situation certainly has me and a lot of other users very worried and I will be refering this thread on the Talk Photography forum later.

Simon n, I truely hope you get a happy outcome to all this, it's disgusting that Digital Rev still haven't given you a full refund including all postage to Canon service centre etc. I've just checked my serial and I have no problems with mine. It might be worth having a look at Hdewcameras.com when you've got the refund. Excellent service every time from them and you get a 3 year warranty too.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 16, 2012 10:56 |  #146

We are already discussing this thread on Talk Photography in the 5DMKIII thread, but it could do with a bit more publicity.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

simon ­ n
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2012 11:04 |  #147

Right guys, home now, and i've the camera with me. I received it from Glasgow, with 3 letters explaining why they won't touch it for my records. I spoke to them today, and they have ever so helpful, and told me if i needed anymore help, just to contact them regarding this fiasco.

I,ve done a shutter count (you have to pay by paypal to reveal the shutter count) and it shows this:

No way on earth i've took that many images!!!!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …ythedude/shutte​rcount.jpg (external link)

it also doesn't show serial number?

Next is a photo of the serial i have just taken of the camera, for my perusal, and also to check your label, as mime is counterfeit:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Next is an image from Canon DPP RAW file, showing the EXIF details, and the serial according to that:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

As you can see, they both differ.

So, it looks pretty bad doesn't it??? I'm well pissed now. I'm going to compile an email to DR, with all this (images, letters and other evidence) they cannot dispute it surely???????

dexy101
Goldmember
2,360 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 16, 2012 11:07 |  #148

simon n wrote in post #15249104 (external link)
They agreed, and told me they would reimburse me on postage. I sent the camera to a genuine service center in the UK (there where only 2 listed that where authorised to service the 5D3, one in Glasgow, the other was Canon Uk themselves), so opted for Canon Glasgow.

Personally i would avoid them at all costs, had dealings with them before and they made my camera worse than when i sent it in.

Hard lines on hearing all about this, ive put on hold getting a lens though them.

I guess trying to get a 5dmk3 as cheap as you can aint always the right way to do things.

So where does this leave the likes of Panamoz and HDEW?

londonbairn
181 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 16, 2012 11:11 as a reply to  @ simon n's post |  #149

I wonder if you have been given a refurb, which was allocated a new s/n.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 16, 2012 11:12 |  #150

Thanks for posting back Simon.
As far as the label goes, the number looks like its been messed with or added, the gap between the 6th and 7th is too large, and the first is too close to the edge. The rest looks legit to me but of course we know it isnt.

This is clearly a case of misleading/fraud or whatever its called. I suppose its lucky you found this out now rather than 13months time. I hope this all gets resolved quickly.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

sponsored links

88,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D mk3 problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.