Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Feb 2004 (Sunday) 16:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

L glass ? What is that then ?

iwatkins
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Feb 22, 2004 16:03 |  #1

Sorry :twisted:

Lot of threads running on this at the moment.

However, I just can't get excited about fancy glass. I couldn't give a monkeys what colour a lens is, what colour the little ring is or even what maker's name is printed on it. I care even less if it has the letter L stamped on it somewhere.

I will buy a lens purely based on whether it meets my particular requirements. I will weigh up the costs/features/benefit​s offered by several makers offerings and then decide based on that. It is a tool, just like the body.

Of the six lenses I have bought in the past 1.5 years, using these simple rules, only one of them is a Canon lens and that isn't stamped with the letter "L".

I still produce good pictures and I still enjoy myself. Hey, and I still have savings in the bank I can use for other things.

Am I wrong ?

Cheers

Ian

(DISCLAIMER - If you are a Pro and you do need to produce the absolute best quality you can to earn money to put food on the table, then I fully understand the reasons to go for L glass. In addition, if you are not a Pro but have loads of cash (or don't mind starving), then by all means, buy L, it is your money).

sponsored links
rick ­ barclay
733 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 22, 2004 16:12 |  #2

You're obviously not normal. You need a good psychologist who will
bring you back into the mainstream of healthy, happy American capitalist thought, while charging you $200/hr. for the privilege.

You are cordially invited... (external link)

maderito
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Feb 22, 2004 16:30 |  #3

This reminds me of discussions among audiophiles, some of whom are willing to spend wopping $$ to get the ultimate bass and high frequency response speaker or receiver even though they've already lost most of their LF/HF hearing acuity because of age or listening to headphones at high volumes for too long.

If you can afford the luxury (L), it's no big deal to pony up the $$ for what is claimed to be the best. I consider myself less fortunate and more prudent in my choices (2 of my 5 lenses are L, and both of those are f4 and not the more expensive f2.8 versions).

I think everyone here aims to be prudent but nonetheless struggles with . . .

What is the value of joy and self-satisfaction? ?!

Woody Lee
http://pbase.com/mader​ito (external link)
http://maderito.fotki.​com (external link)

E.D. ­ Sterns
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 22, 2004 17:40 |  #4

Obviously there's nothing wrong with your approach to buying photo gear. It's like anything else. A Honda will get you to the store just the same as a BMW, but which would you rather have if you could have either one?

Some people do get excited about fancy glass. Everyone has something they lust after. For some it's cars, for some it's optics. Different strokes.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 22, 2004 17:42 |  #5

iwatkins wrote:
Sorry :twisted:

Lot of threads running on this at the moment.

However, I just can't get excited about fancy glass. I couldn't give a monkeys what colour a lens is, what colour the little ring is or even what maker's name is printed on it. I care even less if it has the letter L stamped on it somewhere.

I will buy a lens purely based on whether it meets my particular requirements. I will weigh up the costs/features/benefit​s offered by several makers offerings and then decide based on that. It is a tool, just like the body.

Of the six lenses I have bought in the past 1.5 years, using these simple rules, only one of them is a Canon lens and that isn't stamped with the letter "L".

I still produce good pictures and I still enjoy myself. Hey, and I still have savings in the bank I can use for other things.

Am I wrong ?

Cheers

Ian

I, for one, don't think you're wrong. I agree with you 100%. Oops. I take that back. I'll agree with you 99.9%. The part I don't agree with is your statement, "I just can't get excited about fancy glass". You see, I DO get excited about fancy glass. Not because it's an L but because it'll allow me to take the kind of pictures I couldn't with the other lenses I have. So, although I can get excited about some fancy glass, it doesn't necessarily have to be an L lens I get excited about. It's the fact that more picture taking opportunities have opened up for me with the new glass, whether it be an L or a Sigma EX (and that's where I draw the line) that excites me. :)

...Leo

SnJPhoto
303 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 22, 2004 19:55 |  #6

Well...this seems to be an emotionally charged discussion. What I don't hear people talk about is the other parts of lenses, focusing motors, build quality, noise (audible) levels.... I do own L series lenses, but the decision wasn't purely based on the optical quality of the glass (other vendors are fairly competetive there). the decisions for me are based on the package of performance features. I have yet to find a lens that matches the ones I have, feature for feature. To me thats where the trade space is (motors speed, noise etc) if you want to buy more economical lenses.

“Half of life is f()cking up the other half is dealing with it.”
--Henry Rollins

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,124 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 22, 2004 20:04 |  #7

I concur Ian.. in fact;

Lenses I have used that were optically as good as any others.. (including L)

EF 50mm f/1.8
EF 85mm f/1.8
EF 135mm f/2.8
EX 70-200mm f/2.8
EX 50-500mm
EX 500mm f/4.5

...and I know I'll find more as time goes by...

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 22, 2004 20:06 |  #8

SnJPhoto wrote:
Well...this seems to be an emotionally charged discussion. What I don't hear people talkl about is the other parts of lenses, focusin motors, build quality, noise (audible) levels.... I do own L series lenses, but the decision wasn't purely based on the optical quality of the glass (other vendors are fairly competetive there). thje decisions for me are based on the pacakge of performance features. I have yet to find a lens that matches the ones I have feature for feature. To me thats where the trade space is (motors speed, noise etc) if you want buy more economical lenses.

You do bring up a good point - I haven't found a lens yet, except for my 17-40L that matches the precision and smoothness of my 50 mm breech-lock lens on my FT. The focus and aperture adjustments are buttery smooth. Its a well-machined lens assembly - something that is sadly lacking in today's world.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

KVN ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 06, 2011 07:52 |  #9

E.D. Sterns wrote in post #152450 (external link)
Obviously there's nothing wrong with your approach to buying photo gear. It's like anything else. A Honda will get you to the store just the same as a BMW, but which would you rather have if you could have either one?

bw!

X-Pro1 + 18-55 f/2.8-4 OIS + 55-200 f/3.8-4.5 OIS
TS-E 24 f/3.5L II + XF 35 f/1.4 + XF 56 f/1.2
Sony RX100 II + G12
Travel the world!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 06, 2011 07:58 |  #10

E.D. Sterns wrote in post #152450 (external link)

It depends. If they're both under warranty, I'll take the BMW.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 06, 2011 08:02 |  #11

Who's been digging in the archive..?

Kevin - you were a lad of ten when this thread started!

nightcat
Goldmember
4,533 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 06, 2011 08:43 |  #12

I totally agree with you. You can always spot an amatuer on this website when you see an overemphasis on L lenses. You get goofy questions like.. "how do you clean an L lens"? I think when buying a lens, forget the letter L and get the best glass for the job. Sometimes it will be an L, and many times it won't. I have 12 lenses and 4 are L lenses, and I didn't buy them because they were Ls.

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 06, 2011 09:04 |  #13

Wow.. a seven year old thread revived!

Gear & Feedback

ktownhero
313 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jul 06, 2011 09:04 |  #14

rick_reno wrote in post #12712335 (external link)
It depends. If they're both under warranty, I'll take the BMW.

With a BMW, you're more likely to actually use the warranty :lol: Of course, Hondas have no pep and sound like farts. I split the difference and go VW :)

Oh wait, what were we talking about again?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 06, 2011 09:18 |  #15

I tripped over some seriously thick cobweb.

sponsored links

6,230 views & 0 likes for this thread
L glass ? What is that then ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.