Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Oct 2012 (Sunday) 11:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D mk3 problem

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 16, 2012 14:09 |  #181

djames wrote in post #15253935 (external link)
I was thinking more about the way someone carries out the defamation.

Already threatening to do it in an email might not be the best course of action.

I'm in agreement with Raymond, I think it looks very unprofessional and I don't think will help the overall resolution.

Somehow Simon's emotion got the best of him. Presenting the facts (mismatched serials, higher shutter count than expected) is all that's needed. Resorting to threats is unnecessary. The bottom line is Simon bought a new camera but received a used/not fully functioning one. That's a bait and switch scheme. If the email has been sent, there's nothing anyone can do about it. We'll just sit and wait for DR response.

sponsored links
simon ­ n
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2012 14:10 |  #182

I agree. I am not happy in the least at the moment, as you have gathered. I'm not saying i'm wrong at all…far from it, but on reflection, marry in haste, repent at leisure and all that.
I'll update everyone on the outcome, if it's of any interest to you.

Thanks for the help on this, though.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 16, 2012 14:38 |  #183

Simon did u get your camera from there ebay outlet or from there website?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

simon ­ n
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2012 14:40 |  #184

Website.

simon ­ n
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2012 14:42 |  #185

I was going to order through Ebay, but they didn't cover customs charges etc…their website did. Plus, extra security on warranty etc was offered through their website.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 16, 2012 15:34 |  #186

btw. what email did u send simon that ray was refering to? i dont see it in this thread

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

simon ­ n
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2012 15:37 |  #187

I took it off the thread, as in hindsight, was a bit ott. It was regarding outing them on the Internet if they didn't play ball....

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 16, 2012 16:07 as a reply to  @ simon n's post |  #188

Simon - I'm sorry to see you having so much trouble! I thought that I'd add some more info on serial #s and my experience.

About a year ago I bought a refurbished Canon 7D from Canon Direct via the Canon Loyalty Program. A few months went by and one day I was reading the photography forums and I read about a website which looks for your camera's S/N in photos that are posted to the Web. If your camera is stolen, you can possibly track it down. http://www.stolencamer​afinder.com/home?searc​hType=manual (external link)
I dropped a photo from my refurbed 7D into the site and, lo and behold, there were some images taken with my camera, only 2 weeks prior, when the camera was definitely in my possession! Upon closer inspection I found the the S/N in the EXIF did not match the S/N printed on the camera's bottom label! I was also having some AF issues with the cam so I sent it to Canon to get the AF fixed and the S/N discrepancy rectified. About one week later I received my 7D back from Canon and the camera had been reprogrammed so that the S/N in the EXIF matched the label on the camera.

So, even cameras bought directly from Canon can have problems with the S/Ns!

I do hope that your situation gets straightened out, very soon! Best of luck!

Yogi

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 16, 2012 16:23 |  #189

Yogi Bear wrote in post #15254392 (external link)
So, even cameras bought directly from Canon can have problems with the S/Ns!
Yogi

Yogi,

DigitalRev's offer to have Canon HK repair the camera is great IF the camera was advertised as refurbished. In this case, Simon bought a new camera (I'm assuming it is advertised as brand new camera). I don't know about others but if I buy something new, I expect new shiny product... not some lightly used product with problems.

It's good to know that Canon does such thing as replacing serial numbers and reprogramming the camera to match the new SN. Thanks for the info.

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 16, 2012 16:38 |  #190

morph2_7 wrote in post #15254470 (external link)
Yogi,

DigitalRev's offer to have Canon HK repair the camera is great IF the camera was advertised as refurbished. In this case, Simon bought a new camera (I'm assuming it is advertised as brand new camera). I don't know about others but if I buy something new, I expect new shiny product... not some lightly used product with problems.

It's good to know that Canon does such thing as replacing serial numbers and reprogramming the camera to match the new SN. Thanks for the info.

If it sounded like I was suggesting that Simon should accept the same as I received, believe me! That was not my intent! I was just trying to illustrate that Canon "goofs" on S/Ns sometimes.

Simon should get a full and complete refund to his CC including his postal charges to/from Canon!

Yogi

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

digitl
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 16, 2012 17:11 as a reply to  @ Yogi Bear's post |  #191

Simon, I suggested earlier that you might want to consider not sending the camera to DigitalRev as you would lose control. I forgot to add that your credit card company and the retailer are jointly liable in the event of a problem with a purchase and you can choose who to chase for a remedy. Your credit card company may dispute this but the Financial Ombudsman Service will confirm what I say. You have to give the card company 40 working days in which to come to an agreement with you. If they don't, then you can go to FOS. It costs the credit card company £500 for the referral but it's free to you. That tends to concentrate their mind!

Been there, done that, got the refund...

Glockfan
142 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 16, 2012 17:22 |  #192

Simon,

I hope this gets corrected! I would be very upset too.

Canon 7D | Canon 24-105 f4L IS| Canon 70-200 f4L IS

simon ­ n
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 16, 2012 17:37 |  #193

digitl wrote in post #15254632 (external link)
Simon, I suggested earlier that you might want to consider not sending the camera to DigitalRev as you would lose control. I forgot to add that your credit card company and the retailer are jointly liable in the event of a problem with a purchase and you can choose who to chase for a remedy. Your credit card company may dispute this but the Financial Ombudsman Service will confirm what I say. You have to give the card company 40 working days in which to come to an agreement with you. If they don't, then you can go to FOS. It costs the credit card company £500 for the referral but it's free to you. That tends to concentrate their mind!

Been there, done that, got the refund...

Thanks for that. However, I spoke to Santander card services on Wednesday, and they told me that I needed to send the camera back, and tell DR that I was doing so, for the purpose of getting a refund. They also told me I couldn't consider a refund from my card, unless I had proof of postage back to them, copies of the order number, amount and letters from CANON and other evidence to support, they also added after I read out some emails, that I will have no problem as the evidence from those sources was well enough to claim. I have everything bar the receipt of postage back to DR, which I hope they will sort out, and give me a copy.
But, I will phone Santander tomorrow to confirm this.

Thanks very much.

Mikesphotaes
40 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 17, 2012 10:41 |  #194

That is one shocking story, I hope Digital Rev get their act together soon and you get your full refund.

dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,303 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 17, 2012 10:48 |  #195

I just got an email notification that DR has uploaded a Youtube video titled "How to make cameras out of anything".
Quite ironic really.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

sponsored links

89,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D mk3 problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.