Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's the biggest group you've shot...

silvrbullet
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 14, 2012 11:39 |  #1

... on 107" seamless paper??

I have some family coming into town for Thanksgiving, and my Parents want to do a family photo. My 'Studio' room is 12'x20' with 8' ceilings, and I don't think there is a chance in hell 18 people can fit.

So, what is the largest group you've shot on seamless paper?

Mine is 5, so I'm pretty sure this shoot will take place outside!

Sony A7RII | Zeiss Batis 2.8/18 | Fuji X-T1 | 23 F/1.4

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 14, 2012 11:51 |  #2

you are definitely going outside.... I think I've done 8 before.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 14, 2012 14:34 |  #3

Yep, outside.. 6 would be a squeeze for one row... trying to fit 3 rows of 6, and shoot with something other than a wide angle (like a 50mm for less edge distortion)... I'd be outside.. and with steps if possible. :)

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

silvrbullet
THREAD ­ STARTER
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 14, 2012 14:53 |  #4

Yeah, I'm pretty much set on doing it outside.. I was just curious if anyone did something crazy like 15-20 people... somehow...

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 14, 2012 17:09 |  #5

I've done 40 people, but it was in a large room with 20 foot ceiling, I was on a ladder and they were looking up at me to narrow the required field of focus. No way to get that many people done it a room that size unless they are all over the room and you're using a wide angle lens for effect.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Toneaero
225 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 15, 2012 14:22 |  #6

I had issues fitting 4 people on 107" seamless. Thank god for photoshop.

Phototeacher
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 15, 2012 15:10 |  #7

If you want something a bit unusual, see if you can locate them below a second floor window, and shoot down on them.

If you happen to have a picnic table, you can seat one row sitting on the table, with their feet dangling in the seat area. Have a second row seated on the seats (not facing the table), and finally, one row of the tallest behind, or shorter ones standing on the other (rear) seat. (looking across the table) Hope this makes sense!

bransom
36 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 15, 2012 15:19 as a reply to  @ Toneaero's post |  #8

That paper is just not wide enough for that many people. Can you at least get a 12' roll? It's still not wide enough but better than the alternative. Going outside is probably your best real alternative.

As for most people in a group shot, it was around 120 but was shot in a hotel ballroom with 20+ ft. ceilings and choral risers plus me on a ladder and a bunch of studio strobes.

bobransom.com/blog (external link)

CptTripps
567 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 15, 2012 15:54 |  #9

Shoot 4/5 at a time, stitch em together and make a super panoramic family photo!!!(?)

60D - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - 50mm 1.8 ImkII - 18-135 IS - 70-200 2.8 mkII - 2x430ex II - 3xFlextt5+AC3 - Einstein 640 w/mc2 - Vagabond Mini

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 16, 2012 11:13 |  #10

CptTripps wrote in post #15250057 (external link)
Shoot 4/5 at a time, stitch em together and make a super panoramic family photo!!!(?)

That could be pretty cool. Do each family set and stitch them together. I would also do a quick outside just to make the parents happy.

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

silvrbullet
THREAD ­ STARTER
617 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 16, 2012 15:22 |  #11

I thought about stiching groups together in photoshop, but truth be told, I'm still a beginner in photoshop. We are going outside for sure, but I'm still curious about large groups on seamless!

Can anyone post samples of a stitched together shot like that?

CptTripps
567 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 16, 2012 19:00 |  #12

As long as there is some white showing on the left/right it would be super easy to stitch. You could even overlap people a tad with little effort to make it seem like one shot.

60D - Sigma 30mm 1.4 - 50mm 1.8 ImkII - 18-135 IS - 70-200 2.8 mkII - 2x430ex II - 3xFlextt5+AC3 - Einstein 640 w/mc2 - Vagabond Mini

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 16, 2012 22:11 |  #13

Duct tape is your friend. Take a roll of paper you are willing to destroy and roll it out as wide as you want and cut it off the roll. 25' - it doesn't matter as long as you don't need the background higher than 8'6" or so. Tape it up to a shaded exterior wall and let it overlap the ground by 6" or so to give a little 'sweep' to the edge.

You could cut another peice for the 'floor' as well, just place it so the background paper overlaps the floor. I've shot a HighSchool cheer group of 30, just shy of 20' of paper mounted this way. All though they were a LOT closer than you might want to be with some of your family.

For years I've comp'ed together 8 to 10 cheer stunt groups, shot on a regurlar 9' backdrop with 5 girls and it was SO much easier.

Dont' forget there are several print shops on the net that you can print PANO's to nowadays. They aren't that expensive and the family gift would be unique at 12" x 48"...

sponsored links

1,800 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's the biggest group you've shot...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.