Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 08 Apr 2012 (Sunday) 13:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Black Rapid clones

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 07, 2012 09:28 |  #46

I bought an additional BR RS7 strap and the connector to make the one I already own into a harness. I haven't used it as a harness yet but I've been using the RS-7 for at least a year and I've had no problems or complaints.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

sponsored links
CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 10, 2012 20:53 |  #47

I suppose this would be a comparable strap. I was about to get an Op-Tech with the wide neoprene, they served me well in the past. But then i saw something else... and I purchased it immediately from my local store, Penn Camera. I paid $82.95 for a Sun Sniper Pro, which has 2 metal wires going through it to help deter thieves froom cutting the strap with a knive. The Bearing is Stainless Steel on the Pro Model, instead of a Plastic Thrust bearing on the cheaper Sun Sniper model, which seems discontinued now. I am thrilled with how it handles, and the apparent quality is absolutely top notch. Well worth the price for ease of use and peace of mind. . Check it out here: http://www.sunsniperus​a.com/sniperpro.php (external link)

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

dultim8
262 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 10, 2012 23:01 |  #48

I got myself a Capa Quick strap off ebay for $17 or something like that.
I took it on a 3 week trip in South Africa and had no probs with it.
It is very well made, the mounting to the camera is very very solid and the snap connector is also very solid.
this is the link
http://www.ebay.com.au …256765d399#ht_4​424wt_1130 (external link)
postage was definitely not that high when i bought mine. I think it even got sent for free.

40d - S95 - Some nice lenses

nation
906 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 08, 2012 02:06 |  #49

Old thread I know but I'll add my experience.

Just had a BlackRapid Sport clone delivered to me. It is one of these:

http://http …u/itm/Qu...item​337318554a (external link)

Looks great but a big problem. The worker who put it together forgot to sew one of the webbing seems and QC didn't it pick up. Quite a vital seem actually, it's the final seem that holds the whole strap together completing the circle that actually makes it a strap. Now it's just a 2 long peaces of nylon webbing with a pad in between. If you look at the ebay link and enlarge images 5 and 6, it's the seem that loops through the buckle. Quite funny actually but an easy fix. The attached pics of the offending area are from the ebay link.

Apart from that blunder the strap is actually quite nice. Nice finish, nice padding, the carabiner looks and feels solid although the finish may not be durable, all the other seems are sewn together solidly with no fraying and feels like they will easily hold the weight of a dangling, twisting and swinging camera.
Attached Images

IMAGE: http://www.dualane.com/ebay/items/camera/strap/quick_sling_strap_5.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.dualane.com/ebay/items/camera/strap/quick_sling_strap_6.jpg

7D and lenses.

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 08, 2012 04:41 |  #50

D 550D wrote in post #14230733 (external link)
Hi!
I'm wondering how good are all this "clones" of Black Rapid straps. Because I'm not going to give 50 bucks for something not much better than 20 bucks chineese copy from ebay.

Do you have any experience with them?

Do you think it's worth getting this over the stock Canon strap that I got ith my t2i?

Cheers, D 550D

Depends on how much of a gambling man, you are.
Even the genuine article isn't prone to droppage (operator error, QC issue, etc) - can't imagine knockoffs being any better.
For me, I only go with the other brand, not BR, genuine - and I still add my own double latch for redundant protection.

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

jrafael
134 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2012 08:45 |  #51

I have been using this one: http://optechusa.com/u​tility-strap-sling.html (external link) for over a year now, very happy with it, no complaints, great strap for the price.

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 08, 2012 12:37 |  #52

troypiggo wrote in post #14234284 (external link)
+1

Not worth the risk.

Andrew_WOT wrote in post #14232944 (external link)
Carry Speed, what a shameless company.
They are just selling inferiorly made copies of other brands that actually spent some time and resources designing their own products:
- Black Rapid
- Spider Holster (http://forums.dpreview​.com …age=40832355&ch​angemode=1 (external link))
- Kinotehnik LCDVF
I wouldn't trust my 5K+ equipmente hanging on that cheapo.

Thats why accessory manufacturers make money easily.
Im not saying teir products doesnt worth the money, but they kniw people like you and me how to consider this, and just overprice it a little bit...

Fly me away.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,635 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 08, 2012 14:45 |  #53

Judsonzhao wrote in post #15222594 (external link)
Thats why accessory manufacturers make money easily.
Im not saying teir products doesnt worth the money, but they kniw people like you and me how to consider this, and just overprice it a little bit...

as photographers, we should be respecting the work (and copyrights/patents) of others!
when someone says they don't think its worth the money or prefer to buy the cheaper knockoff because the originals are overpriced, that just tells me copyrights/patents is something you respect when its convenient for you!

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

vsg28
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 08, 2012 16:02 |  #54

CarrySpeed has completely different designs now, is it fair to still label them as such? Frankly, I like their current strap a lot more than my old BR strap.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

Judsonzhao
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 08, 2012 16:06 |  #55

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15223092 (external link)
as photographers, we should be respecting the work (and copyrights/patents) of others!
when someone says they don't think its worth the money or prefer to buy the cheaper knockoff because the originals are overpriced, that just tells me copyrights/patents is something you respect when its convenient for you!

I'm not saying that.. Actually I use BR, too. It just sometimes depends on how you value an invention/new idea/.. That's quite tricky, someone can always claims it overprices and vice versa..

Fly me away.

ejhc11
161 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 08, 2012 19:55 |  #56

I don't own high end equipment but the equipment I have is already a high investment to me. So I can't risk taking any damage from cheap knockoff copies of slings - I paid my $69 for a BR Sport and to me its a small price for a genuinely good product.

Gear and Feedback

AmslerPhoto
43 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 08, 2012 21:04 |  #57

Whats a few bucks when you have a few thousand hanging from unreliable hardware.. The ground comes real fast..

WWW.AMSLERPHOTO.COM (external link)

naja_return
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 18, 2012 10:04 |  #58

vsg28 wrote in post #15223410 (external link)
CarrySpeed has completely different designs now, is it fair to still label them as such? Frankly, I like their current strap a lot more than my old BR strap.

I agree with you now CS have new plate design ,quite innovative style not look so cheap as the first one.

I like the way CS F-1 Foldable mount plate design but I'm a bit curious about the strength of folding point. Is it strong enough for holding camera. coz now i haven't bought BlackRapid FR-T1 yet and It took a lot of time for switch from BR to Tripod Quick release plate.

Andrew_WOT
Goldmember
1,418 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 18, 2012 10:54 |  #59

naja_return wrote in post #15259836 (external link)
I agree with you now CS have new plate design ,quite innovative style not look so cheap as the first one.

I like the way CS F-1 Foldable mount plate design but I'm a bit curious about the strength of folding point. Is it strong enough for holding camera. coz now i haven't bought BlackRapid FR-T1 yet and It took a lot of time for switch from BR to Tripod Quick release plate.

So it's just another strap now, not a clone. Guess BR patenting their strap did good things to strap industry by encouraging innovations. First Luma with Cinch, now CS.

vsg28
493 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 18, 2012 11:04 |  #60

naja_return wrote in post #15259836 (external link)

It is very strong, and has managed all my gear with ease.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

sponsored links

14,221 views & 0 likes for this thread
Black Rapid clones
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.