Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 16 Nov 2012 (Friday) 16:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking about switching to Mac... Thoughts?

barrett14
792 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 16, 2012 16:29 |  #1

Well I have been a PC guy through and through until I started buying Mac laptops a couple of years ago... I think I am finally going to take the plunge and get an iMac... Just wanted some thoughts...

Right now I am running a PC with an i7 950 processor. I have 6 gigs of ram and have Dual 24 inch monitors...

Let me say I love the dual 24's... I am kind of scared of going back to a single monitor (although it would be the 27 inch)

The reason I want to make the switch is to get full utilization out of photoshop and the new bamboo tablet that I ordered. Right now I am using mostly LR4 and plugins but I want to start using CS6 more and more.

How will the speed of the new iMac 27 inch with the i7 upgraded processor will compare to my current computer? You think this computer will last me another 5 years or ago?

I have upgraded my PC several times with more ram and a faster processor so I don't like the idea of not being able to upgrade my iMac in the future...

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5D Mark III
24-105L, 16-35L II, 70-300L, 8-15L Fisheye, 50mm 1.4

sponsored links
TampaFoto
771 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

Nov 16, 2012 16:33 |  #2

I did it and LOVE my imac 27in . i5 processor. Wow what a difference using cs5 and lr4 . Do it and you will not be sorry.

Ay Hombe !

barrett14
THREAD ­ STARTER
792 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 16, 2012 16:53 |  #3

I'm thinking about getting the i7 and the fusion drive just hope it doesn't break the bank.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
5D Mark III
24-105L, 16-35L II, 70-300L, 8-15L Fisheye, 50mm 1.4

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 16, 2012 17:10 |  #4

We converted from Windows to rMBPs this spring. We are very glad we made the move. They are great machines to use in the field for file collection and editing and to replace the desktops at home.

Moppie
14,829 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 16, 2012 17:58 |  #5

barrett14 wrote in post #15254501 (external link)
The reason I want to make the switch is to get full utilization out of photoshop and the new bamboo tablet that I ordered. Right now I am using mostly LR4 and plugins but I want to start using CS6 more and more.

How is having a Mac going to help you get more out of Photoshop and a tablet?

I've used both under OS-X and Windows and there is, wait for it, NO Difference! :eek::eek::eek:

The i7 in the new iMac is a little bit more powerful than the i7 in your current desktop, however if your running multiple hard drives in your desktop then it is actually the faster machine as the single disc in the iMac is not able to feed enough data to the CPU to make full use of it.
Apples hybrid drive, called Fusion, will get around some of that, but only for data that is frequently accessed.

You can run a second monitor off the iMac, but it requires an adapter via one of the thunderbolt ports, or it needs to be a new Apple Cinema display.

Also remember that when it is time to upgrade the iMac you have to replace everything, including the nice monitor. This is a problem with all All In One type designs, as is the lack of the ability to upgrade internals, other than Ram.

If you really want to improve your computing experience you could replace the board and CPU in your current computer and add a couple of SSD's. Would cost a lot less than buying an iMac and give you a faster system.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 17, 2012 00:49 |  #6

If you dont want to downgrade from dual monitors (it WILL be a massive downgrade, going to one monitor) and dont like not being able to upgrade....

What is switching going to get you?

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 17, 2012 03:44 |  #7

thedge wrote in post #15255751 (external link)
If you dont want to downgrade from dual monitors (it WILL be a massive downgrade, going to one monitor)

...What? The recent iMacs have two thunderbolt ports, you could have a triple monitor setup running if you wanted to. OP won't be able to use his old monitors though.

barrett14 wrote in post #15254501 (external link)
How will the speed of the new iMac 27 inch with the i7 upgraded processor will compare to my current computer? You think this computer will last me another 5 years or ago?

I have upgraded my PC several times with more ram and a faster processor so I don't like the idea of not being able to upgrade my iMac in the future...

Well, if you're expecting to use the computer for as long as 5 years, don't hold back on the features when you order it. Also, if you're going with a 5-year cycle, then upgrading is kind of pointless anyway, in 5 years tech could be so different that upgrading would mean replacing all the innards or external devices because of new standards and connectivity. (like when AGP and PCI got replaced with PCIe; new processor or memory architectures; serial ports got replaced with USB/Firewire and now USB3 and Thunderbolt; etc.)

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 17, 2012 09:33 |  #8

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #15256030 (external link)
...What? The recent iMacs have two thunderbolt ports, you could have a triple monitor setup running if you wanted to. OP won't be able to use his old monitors though.

Well, if you're expecting to use the computer for as long as 5 years, don't hold back on the features when you order it. Also, if you're going with a 5-year cycle, then upgrading is kind of pointless anyway, in 5 years tech could be so different that upgrading would mean replacing all the innards or external devices because of new standards and connectivity. (like when AGP and PCI got replaced with PCIe; new processor or memory architectures; serial ports got replaced with USB/Firewire and now USB3 and Thunderbolt; etc.)

So sell his monitors now at a loss, buy new expensive monitors. Win win?? And besides, OP didnt mention buying a second monitor for the iMac.

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2012 10:21 |  #9

Moppie wrote in post #15254761 (external link)
How is having a Mac going to help you get more out of Photoshop and a tablet?

I've used both under OS-X and Windows and there is, wait for it, NO Difference! :eek::eek::eek:

Yup. Same menus, same windows, same functions, same source code. It's like a couple of auto mechanics arguing whether they should be using a Snap-On or Craftsman wrench.

People seem to forget they are using a tool, and they are actually the ones doing the work.

"Yup the Mac has better white balance."

"Hey, did you know that Windows sharpens more precisely than a Mac?"

"I always use my Mac to add new layers, because they have better contrast than Windows machines."

What nonsense.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2012 10:30 |  #10

i switched a few years ago, best move i ever made

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,469 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2012 10:58 |  #11

I switched from a PC to an iMac about three years ago, and to be honest when I replace it I will proberbly go back to a PC. A hell of a lot cheaper and upgradeable.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 17, 2012 14:26 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #12

You do not purchase Apple products because of their low cost. You select a Mac for the OS, support (hardware and OS from same vendor), and ecosystem (computer, phone, tablet). The design ascetics are not bad either.

If I did not use a rMBP as my sole computer for travel and desktop, I would definitely be ordering one of the new 27" iMacs with the hottest CPU, and minimum memory and SSD. Then I would bring the memory up to 16GB and attach thunderbolt drives for my large storage needs.

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 18, 2012 11:10 |  #13

MCAsan wrote in post #15257278 (external link)
You do not purchase Apple products because of their low cost. You select a Mac for the OS, support (hardware and OS from same vendor), and ecosystem (computer, phone, tablet). The design ascetics are not bad either.

If I did not use a rMBP as my sole computer for travel and desktop, I would definitely be ordering one of the new 27" iMacs with the hottest CPU, and minimum memory and SSD. Then I would bring the memory up to 16GB and attach thunderbolt drives for my large storage needs.

You mean You, right? You can't possibly be talking about me, because frankly, you know nothing whatsoever about me, or my buying practices, or anything about the way I work or what my goal for photographs might be.

More to the point, the tools don't make the image. You do. So the cost or the style or the design (aesthetics? is that what you mean? I suspect ascetics are something else not connected with cameras) are totally irrelevant. They don't make the image , either.

And even more to the point, it's clear you've had waaaay too much kool-aid.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Larry20d
287 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 18, 2012 13:05 |  #14

john crossley wrote in post #15256784 (external link)
I switched from a PC to an iMac about three years ago, and to be honest when I replace it I will proberbly go back to a PC. A hell of a lot cheaper and upgradeable.

Ditto

5D Mark III, Canon 80D,16-35L, 24-105L, 70-300L IS, 100-400L IS, Nifty 50 1.4, Canon 135L, Canon 85 1.8, Canon EFS 18-135, Canon 55-250, Sigma 150 Macro, EFS-18-135, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Extension Tubes, Canon G10

LensCaps
73 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 24, 2012 00:36 |  #15

Hen3Ry wrote in post #15260077 (external link)
You mean You, right? You can't possibly be talking about me, because frankly, you know nothing whatsoever about me, or my buying practices, or anything about the way I work or what my goal for photographs might be.

More to the point, the tools don't make the image. You do. So the cost or the style or the design (aesthetics? is that what you mean? I suspect ascetics are something else not connected with cameras) are totally irrelevant. They don't make the image , either.

And even more to the point, it's clear you've had waaaay too much kool-aid.

He was saying that no one thinks "I want a budget computer, I'm going to get a mac"

Gear List | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,568 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking about switching to Mac... Thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.