Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 17 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Book Publishing

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2012 14:27 |  #1

OK, so I have a couple ideas for photo books. Where is a good place to go as far as publishers are concerned? Or should I just publish them myself.

I want to do artistic style books. Not the self help kind. Very minimal text but LOTS of great photos. I did a book a while back just for my home as a conversation piece. Everyone who looked at it likes the book. A friend of a friend looked at it and asked me who took the photos. I said I took them. He didn't believe me until he saw the Kodak logo on the last page. He thought it was a professionally bound photo book that I bought... Not made. :) I showed him the original CR2 files and he was amazed at the quality of the book.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links
Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 17, 2012 17:12 |  #2

Why not use the same company that did your original book ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 17, 2012 20:39 |  #3

Kodak? They're gone. They don't make books anymore. Shutter-fly took over their book printing and they're not all that great. Of the 8 wedding books I had printed with them, 3 came back with faults and one of those 3 came back with someone elses pages in it.

And I'd like to try and sell them as well. So having a printers logo on the back page is not a great idea I don't think. Especially if it's Shutter-fly or Walmart or whatever...

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 18, 2012 17:07 |  #4

I've thought about doing something through http://www.magcloud.co​m (external link). They don't do hardbound though. The nice thing is you set the price and can promote however you want. You can also set the price for electronic versions.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

kidseedreams
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 18, 2012 19:13 |  #5

I've done a few and depending upon your print run various options are available. The largest was printed by Jostens, (the High School Yearbook people). They required a print run of 150 books. We broke even on the deal but still have approx. 50 books on hand. An outside publisher put the whole deal together which can be expensive. I have also used blurb.com for smaller requirements. They allow you to use their standard templates or design the whole book on your own and drop the files. You can be quite creative using your own skills and only have to order one (1) book at a time. I've done that then edited from the first edition and made changes. They also allow you to set a price for the book and will sell copies as requested online and pay you the difference. Their per/book cost is of course higher than a big print run, but there really aren't the risks associated and you can allow a few pages or the whole book to be previewed before purchase. The quality is really pretty good with Blurb also. Hope this helps a little. Good Luclk.

rolex87
425 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 18, 2012 20:10 as a reply to  @ kidseedreams's post |  #6

I've used magcloud and their results have been pretty good.

I haven't used anyone else so I can't comment there.

Staff Photographer - Ansel Adams Gallery, Yosemite Nat'l Park
www.mikereevesphotogra​phy.com (external link) - enter coupon code "potn" for 15% off!!!
http://www.facebook.co​m …-Photography/3544971237​58 (external link) - Fan Page
My book "Images of Splendor" - http://www.magcloud.co​m …e/issue/805218?​__r=176449 (external link)

saturnine_zero
88 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 19, 2012 22:51 |  #7

Check out this presentation about self publishing and the kind of options that are out there from B&H Event Space http://www.youtube.com …dex=10&feature=​plpp_video (external link)

It has some detailed info about what's involved, I found it pretty interesting.

6D | 40 2.8 | 50 1.2L | 70-300 4-5.6L
G12 | Elan 7 | QL17 GIII | Vivitar v3800n
www.saturninezero.com (external link)

CameraMan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 19, 2012 23:59 |  #8

Ahhhh, crap! It's an hour long. That will kill my bandwidth. :(

PhotosGuy
75,795 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 28, 2012 22:25 |  #9

Hardcover Books

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

elemen7
26 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 01, 2012 18:14 |  #10

Try out blurb.com. They have a Lightroom 4 extension that you can use in conjunction with their own "template design" program. They also offer a lot of different variants of paper and different book designs. Their prices are fairly reasonable, I think. I have one another friend who put together his own photo book using blurb and it looks great.

Moleskine+Milk products look really interesting, but the editor is too constricting for any sort of control over the design/layout. It's also really expensive and not economical by any means. The interface needs fixing and it's extremely confusing/unforgiving if you aren't fully aware of what you are doing. In fact, i'm currently in the process of being tangled up with customer service over a mishap on their online interface. Caveat emptor..

Chief Broke College Kid at Won & Done (external link)
Canon 7D / 17-55 2.8 IS USM

sponsored links

1,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
Book Publishing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.