Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 28 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX-

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,407 posts
Gallery: 588 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 13, 2012 20:10 as a reply to  @ post 15242023 |  #8911

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8202/8183848721_896ddbb9cb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …unetsukiphoto/8​183848721/  (external link)
Skye Posing (external link) by Kenjis9965 (external link), on Flickr

I felt like f/1.4 tonight..

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links
j-mar
235 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 15, 2012 02:10 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #8912

My favorite prime on FF

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8176880280_e994b5b24e_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …pan_hong_kong/8​176880280/  (external link)
Ethan 11.10.2012-6 (external link) by j-mar flickr (external link), on Flickr

5D Mark II | S100
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

MsKutispwet
118 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 15, 2012 02:51 |  #8913

cpeay wrote in post #15217119 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Dramatic photo, very nice indeed

MsKutispwet
118 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 15, 2012 02:58 |  #8914

I love this one too, nice bokeh

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 15, 2012 03:42 |  #8915
bannedPermanent ban

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8197/8180585627_2eb0fa36ea_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kin2son/8180585​627/  (external link)
Illegal Dumping (external link) by Kinson C | Photography (external link), on Flickr

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Keyzer
241 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 15, 2012 16:02 |  #8916

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

bespoke
713 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 16, 2012 23:41 |  #8917

i've had this lens for a while but i have to admit i don't use it often because i'm never too sure about the focus

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Retouching (external link)Photography (external link)Instagram (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,407 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 17, 2012 19:43 |  #8918

^- i have that concern sometimes too...

The thing for me is i cant actually reproduce the focus issues over and over again, Sometimes my Sigmalux just decides it want to front focus a ton... Most of the time its fine... If i bolted it up and did a "focus test" it would work perfectly fine...

However once in a while it just decides it doesnt want to work right, Seems to be anytime theres a lighter colored subject, or theres good lighting it will botch the focus... Granted it doesnt happen often, but when it does it causes me no end of aggrivation... But then again I've noticed the same problem on some of my other lenses, Just not as bad as the Sigmalux

That also makes me very hesitant to sell it (As I've pondered going to Nikon once or twice) Because i dont want to deal with it if someone complains i sold them a bad lens

The ­ Devil
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 17, 2012 21:10 |  #8919

But then again I've noticed the same problem on some of my other lenses, Just not as bad as the Sigmalux

By your description it sounds like it's more a problem with your shooting technique than anything else - a large aperture prime is fairly demanding in terms of technique, when shooting wide open, especially when you use longer focal lengths and the DoF becomes really thin...

Use the back AF/*/whatever button for AF and not the shutter button, use AF servo mode and use a single point AF thing, because with DoF that thin, it really doesn't help when the camera tries to focus on multiple different points (not sure if specifically you do any of that or not, just saying for the benefit of anyone reading), and focus on a high contrast area, preferrably one that isn't a pattern of sorts. Having a precision matte screen helps as well, because with one, you can fine-tune your focus if need be (never had to do this myself - bought mine so I could use manual focus lenses, but it's always a possibility).

I've never missed a shot with that method, so I recommend you give it a go if you haven't already.

No method is flawless and no lens is perfect, but one can learn to work around or live with the quirks of various pieces of equipment.

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 17, 2012 21:14 |  #8920

^ When you say "high contrast area", are you referring to a bright spot amongst a bunch of dark? Or vice versca? What do people mean when they say "high contrast area"?

Do I have to find a spot that has both dark and light?

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,407 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 17, 2012 22:08 |  #8921

The Devil wrote in post #15258379 (external link)
By your description it sounds like it's more a problem with your shooting technique than anything else - a large aperture prime is fairly demanding in terms of technique, when shooting wide open, especially when you use longer focal lengths and the DoF becomes really thin...

Use the back AF/*/whatever button for AF and not the shutter button, use AF servo mode and use a single point AF thing, because with DoF that thin, it really doesn't help when the camera tries to focus on multiple different points (not sure if specifically you do any of that or not, just saying for the benefit of anyone reading), and focus on a high contrast area, preferrably one that isn't a pattern of sorts. Having a precision matte screen helps as well, because with one, you can fine-tune your focus if need be (never had to do this myself - bought mine so I could use manual focus lenses, but it's always a possibility).

I've never missed a shot with that method, so I recommend you give it a go if you haven't already.

No method is flawless and no lens is perfect, but one can learn to work around or live with the quirks of various pieces of equipment.

7D, No precision matte focusing screen available, which is something that drives me bloody nuts because you only see f/4 in the viewfinder (IE, You cant tell the thing isnt in focus until you check the rear screen)

As for technique, I use AF ON for AF, single point (or single spot AF) only, I know what I'm doing, I'm not new to wide aperture lenses (My kit includes the 28mm f/1.8 and 35mm f/2, as well as a 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro) I've been down the path of trying to explain this before, and this is why I gave up on it...

Not meaning to sound mean or anything, Just trying to state an observation, Observation being MY Sigmalux on MY 7D has iffy focus performance in what people here would call "ideal" conditions, Dealing with well lit contrasted subjects that are not moving...

I will also note that as i stated before, its kind of a random problem, Sometimes its perfectly fine, I have yet to find any correlation in focus distance or anything, The only correlation i can come up with is when it happens, the situation is on where you'd expect a best case scenario with a well lit subject, good contrast, a high shutter speed, and a low ISO, On top of it as i stated before, I've shot bursts and its all consistent (IE, I'm not moving back and forth, Subjects not moving back and forth) Its just basically like the lens is going "Yeah, Dont feel like it mate" I guess i could say it doesnt like pets, Because the occasions i can specifically think of off the top of my head involved a puppy and 2 cats... and Skye obviously all in a well lit situation...

Now I will ALSO state its random and while it can ruin one shot, We're talking a problem that affects maybe 1% of the shots I've taken with this lens, For instance the day i went for a walk with nothing but my Sigmalux I didnt have a single issue and that was a situation with pretty good light and such... I've taken tons of portraits of Skye as well in good light and poor light with no trouble... It only bugs me because it crops up randomly and i only realize when i chimp...

Ok so im probubly just nitpicking over something so minor, Its just highly annoying when its like "HEY IM NOT GOING TO FOCUS CORRECTLY U MAD BRO?" for literally -no- reason

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,407 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 17, 2012 22:09 |  #8922

Simplistic wrote in post #15258388 (external link)
^ When you say "high contrast area", are you referring to a bright spot amongst a bunch of dark? Or vice versca? What do people mean when they say "high contrast area"?

Do I have to find a spot that has both dark and light?

You basically want something with some kind of detail on it...

IE a blank piece of paper is bad, a piece of paper with an X drawn on it, good

llazlok
228 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 18, 2012 21:33 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #8923

1DmarkII f/3.2

IMAGE: http://michaelamyphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Sigma-50mm-14-New/i-BGWf9F3/0/X2/HO3U5028-2-X2.jpg

smooth3000
Goldmember
1,520 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2011

Nov 18, 2012 23:14 |  #8924

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8069/8197914051_13abbba7fe_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/64586695@N06/8​197914051/  (external link)
IMG_3366 (external link) by Tien Nguyen Photography (external link), on Flickr

Website (external link) |Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) |Instagram (external link)
D750

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 18, 2012 23:18 |  #8925

^ awesome.

I still think you should change your signature. :)

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

sponsored links

3,295,465 views & 171 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX-
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.