Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Nov 2012 (Monday) 16:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do?

id10t
282 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 19, 2012 16:42 |  #1

I purchased a 5D MK III at an unbelievable price off craigslist. I wasn't in the market for one since I have the 5D MK II. My dilema is do I sell the MK II and keep the MK III with minimal outlay of cash or do I sell the MK III for a very decent profit and bank it since the extra cash will come in handy. I do like the idea of the better AF on the MK III and better lower light but neither are critical since I am only a hobbyist and the MK II is a very nice camera and have been very happy with it. My financial situation would not normally be in a position to even consider the 5D MK III so this is going to be hard to pass up.

6D/ 24-105 f4 IS/ 85 f1.8/ 70-300L IS

sponsored links
blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 19, 2012 16:45 |  #2

Keep the MK III & sell the MK II, since the additional cost is minimal (your words)

Kevin

Gear List

Houston1863
729 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 19, 2012 16:47 |  #3

Well if you can afford to, sell the Mk Deux and enjoy the 5D3 especially as you appear to have picked it up at an attractive price. It's a stellar body as indeed you've discovered.

2x5D3, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200/2.8L IS,15 FE, 50L,100L, 2x580EXII, 1x430Exll, Fuji X10, YN-622Cs, Manfrotto Neotec legs, various bits and pieces, my Apples ( 2 living MacBook Pro, 1 dormant PowerBook G4 ), bags and bits of Think Tank stuff
www.picture-u.net (external link)
www.picturing-u.blogspot.com (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 19, 2012 16:48 |  #4

I always sell stuff that I get really good deals on which I don't absolutely need. With the money gained, you can buy something else that you may be lacking.

How good of a deal, if I may ask?

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 19, 2012 17:38 |  #5

A hot deal, perhaps? Really good deals can be really big headaches.

Unless you can confirm that it's not stolen, do not re-sell it or you risk being liable for selling stolen property. Just play it safe.

Now, from a tech standpoint, I lust for the 5D3, so I would happily sell the 5D2 and keep the 3.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

T2iGuy
139 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 19, 2012 18:39 |  #6

keep the 5D3

GEAR: T2i

Agged
281 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 19, 2012 18:52 |  #7

Virto wrote in post #15265430 (external link)
Unless you can confirm that it's not stolen, do not re-sell it or you risk being liable for selling stolen property.

So true!

Flickr (external link)
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …rch.php?searchi​d=27565292

id10t
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 19, 2012 20:05 |  #8

I have over many years purchased a lot of items at very low prices and resold them on ebay and other forums. That is how I raised enough money to purchase the gear I now have. So when I spotted this deal I jumped on it knowing what it's worth and what I could sell it for. When the seller said he needed rent money by today and had put it on craigslist Sunday morning early, I was the first to respond. When I first spoke to him I was not convinced it was legit but some things he told me and the way he said them made me a little less skeptical. He said he was a student and bought the camera for a advertising class where they were learning to photograph water droplets. That seemed like something that one would not make up, but maybe he's a clever thief or I'm an easy target. Anyway now my doubts are resurfacing and you are probably right about not reselling it but now if I keep it and it needs service I may have trouble. I wish I could find out from Canon without devulging my identity and run the risk of the camera being confiscated from me. I would never knowingly buy stolen items with the intent on reselling them for a profit.

6D/ 24-105 f4 IS/ 85 f1.8/ 70-300L IS

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 19, 2012 20:31 as a reply to  @ id10t's post |  #9

This forum is full of people like the guy on CL, they buy expensive items they can't really afford, and a short while later they are selling. What's a college student doing buying a $3400 camera? Thankfully my (out of state college student) kid is smarter than that, but many adults make the same poor financial decisions. You bought the MKIII in good faith, just keep it and enjoy it. Sell the MkII. -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 19, 2012 22:19 |  #10

I never find good deals on Craigslist. I wish there was a secret.

Is it because I'm in a large market? (Atlanta)

I always see gear at or above what they should be asking.

I search CL everyday for two things: Bikes and photography gear.

Thank you. bw!

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 19, 2012 22:27 |  #11

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #15266436 (external link)
I never find good deals on Craigslist. I wish there was a secret.

Is it because I'm in a large market? (Atlanta)

I always see gear at or above what they should be asking.

I search CL everyday for two things: Bikes and photography gear.

You just have to be lucky really.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

minimalfear
192 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 19, 2012 22:34 |  #12

Folks who are reaping the greatest CL benefit are REGULAR CL browsers. It must be part of a regular daily routine to scan through what is being offerred and pick the good stuff out FAST! Finding it is only Part One . . .evaluating it and closing the deal . . .without getting clunked over the head and relieved of your $$$ is the very big Part Two!

Ô¿Ô
T
RecycLing gLass
in South Jersey

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 19, 2012 22:40 |  #13

The evaluating part is the hardest part.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,802 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 19, 2012 22:48 |  #14

id10t wrote in post #15265952 (external link)
I have over many years purchased a lot of items at very low prices and resold them on ebay and other forums. That is how I raised enough money to purchase the gear I now have. So when I spotted this deal I jumped on it knowing what it's worth and what I could sell it for. When the seller said he needed rent money by today and had put it on craigslist Sunday morning early, I was the first to respond. When I first spoke to him I was not convinced it was legit but some things he told me and the way he said them made me a little less skeptical. He said he was a student and bought the camera for a advertising class where they were learning to photograph water droplets. That seemed like something that one would not make up, but maybe he's a clever thief or I'm an easy target. Anyway now my doubts are resurfacing and you are probably right about not reselling it but now if I keep it and it needs service I may have trouble. I wish I could find out from Canon without devulging my identity and run the risk of the camera being confiscated from me. I would never knowingly buy stolen items with the intent on reselling them for a profit.

That was the first sign that the camera was likely stolen. Everyone knows you have to have nothing less than a 1D series for shooting water droplets.:lol:

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 19, 2012 23:04 |  #15

id10t wrote in post #15265952 (external link)

if the camera is hot then you dont need it in your life... it is not worth it.
I get the gut feeling you are nervous over this camera.
farmer 1957

sponsored links

3,449 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.