Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
Thread started 19 Nov 2012 (Monday) 15:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Drag racing photography

Heycoop ­ Photography
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 19, 2012 15:51 |  #1

I know this is in the wrong section, but under the sharing knowhow - motorsport section, I have only had one reply in the past few days. I was just wanting general tips on Drag Racing Photography. I have left a few previous photos below, but they are pretty irrelevant, considering they were taken with my canon power shot. Anyway, here goes...

It is 1/8 mile street drags, quite a cool setting, a mini industrial area, with the harbour on the other side. Will be using my 70-200, and take the 28-80 kit for a bit of pit action. I have full track access (with safety in mind!) and it is only street drags, so there are cones for the first probably 70 feet or so. So has anyone got any tips advice, eg:

Pan on the burnouts?
Head on or side on?
Wide Angle or tightly cropped?
Shoot one lane at a time or have both cars in the shot?
Stay closer to the start line or finish line?

Also, I may have access to a cherry picker for a couple of hours, so how do I make good use of that?

What will the 70-200 be like, do you think that 70mm will be a little too long, especially when by the burnout pad etc?

Thanks, here are some images from the previous meet (taken with point and shoot)

1)

IMAGE: http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/11446185/640/11446185.jpg

2)
IMAGE: http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/11446181/640/11446181.jpg

3)
IMAGE: http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/11446183/640/11446183.jpg

4)
IMAGE: http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/11446184/640/11446184.jpg

Body: Canon 450D Gripped
Lenses: Canon 70-200 F4 L, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 1.4x Tele Converter
Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 19, 2012 16:30 |  #2

those shots are nice, i'd try the 70-200, if it's too long step back a bit

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 19, 2012 16:33 |  #3

rick_reno wrote in post #15265211 (external link)
those shots are nice, i'd try the 70-200, if it's too long step back a bit

Okay, cheers, I was thinking the same thing, just as long as the buildings don't get in the way...

Check out my Facebook Page (external link) (dedicated to my racing, not photographing), and give it a like!!

redrocket
559 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 19, 2012 21:39 |  #4

study your favorite drag racing shots from the pros.. and try to inincorporate those looks into your shots.. before you know it you will develop your own style.... get the exhaust spitting fire.. wrinkled tires... get some panning shots... post some pics....

I have G.A.S.

Calcvictim
318 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 20, 2012 12:27 |  #5

agree with redrocket

when shooting drag racing there are three types of shots
1)burnout shots---high shutter speed
2)take-off---high shutter speed
3)panning---1/60-1/120 shutter speed while panning

Flickr (external link)|Facebook (external link)|GEAR: Canon 60D|Canon 17-55 IS 2.8|Tamron 70-300 VC|Canon 430EX II

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 20, 2012 13:03 |  #6

Calcvictim wrote in post #15268455 (external link)
agree with redrocket

when shooting drag racing there are three types of shots
1)burnout shots---high shutter speed
2)take-off---high shutter speed
3)panning---1/60-1/120 shutter speed while panning

Okay, thanks for that. Also, with the burnouts and the takeoffs, do you want them tightly cropped, or a bit of space around the car. I was thinking a tight crop for the burnout, but not so sure about the launch? Also, is front or rear shots better for the launch. Its only street drags, so there won't be much (if any) hopping (is that what its called when the rear tires lift), so possibly go for the front, where there will be a few wheelies?

Also, this may seem like a stupid question, but does the smoke from the burnouts affect the glass of the lens. What if a bit of rubber hits the glass?

Calcvictim
318 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 20, 2012 15:18 |  #7

Heycoop Photography wrote in post #15268595 (external link)
Okay, thanks for that. Also, with the burnouts and the takeoffs, do you want them tightly cropped, or a bit of space around the car. I was thinking a tight crop for the burnout, but not so sure about the launch? Also, is front or rear shots better for the launch. Its only street drags, so there won't be much (if any) hopping (is that what its called when the rear tires lift), so possibly go for the front, where there will be a few wheelies?

Also, this may seem like a stupid question, but does the smoke from the burnouts affect the glass of the lens. What if a bit of rubber hits the glass?

If there is a chance of rubber hitting the glass then you're probably a little to close, as for the smoke I think it's not an issue, but someone might correct me.

I would say do not frame too tight, give yourself some room to crop in post processing.

I'd say for launch maybe a tighter crop but for the burnout a slightly wider crop.

I only shot at the strip a couple of times, but have a look at some of my shots to get an idea of framing. The pics were shot with a 24-135 so they're cropped a good amount.

http://www.flickr.com …m/sets/72157627​555448685/ (external link)

Flickr (external link)|Facebook (external link)|GEAR: Canon 60D|Canon 17-55 IS 2.8|Tamron 70-300 VC|Canon 430EX II

RYC-RKT
37 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 20, 2012 15:31 as a reply to  @ Calcvictim's post |  #8

The issue with the rubber hitting the glass pick up a clear or uv filter.
I would move all over the track to get diff. angles never stay in one spot you have full access.
Never use one setting on your camera and alway explore with the setting.

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2012 17:59 as a reply to  @ RYC-RKT's post |  #9

Of the people that responded and are handing out advice, well I'm wondering how many of them have actually shot drag racing from track side?

Just because you grabbed a few snaps from the stands or you saw it on TV how exactly does that qualify you to hand out advice on how to shoot drag racing?

I'm asking because I see a lot of people who aren't qualified to hand out advice dispense advice all the time around here.

Maybe it's just that everyone has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express® at some point in their lives and so that is what qualifies them to advise you on how to shoot drag racing.

DOUG JAMES | PHOTO PRODUCTIONS (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link)

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 20, 2012 18:06 |  #10

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #15269701 (external link)
Of the people that responded and are handing out advice, well I'm wondering how many of them have actually shot drag racing from track side?

Just because you grabbed a few snaps from the stands or you saw it on TV how exactly does that qualify you to hand out advice on how to shoot drag racing?

I'm asking because I see a lot of people who aren't qualified to hand out advice dispense advice all the time around here.

Maybe it's just that everyone has stayed at a Holiday Inn Express® at some point in their lives and so that is what qualifies them to advise you on how to shoot drag racing.

um... okay, well people may not have had much experience, but even if you know the sport it could help. Remember, I have only ever done it once, using a point and shoot! Have you shot any drag racing before?

RYC-RKT
37 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 20, 2012 18:27 as a reply to  @ Heycoop Photography's post |  #11

I have shot the GATOR NATIONAL for the past 8 yrs and the DAYTONA 200 at bike week for the past 25 yrs. all very high speed avg. speeds of 150 mph. I am new to this forum but not photography been shooting since 79 alongside my pops.

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2012 19:01 |  #12

Heycoop Photography wrote in post #15269725 (external link)
um... okay, well people may not have had much experience, but even if you know the sport it could help. Remember, I have only ever done it once, using a point and shoot! Have you shot any drag racing before?

Don't confuse "people may not have had much experience" with NONE at all or watching it on TV and/or taking a few snaps from the stands, they just aren't the same thing no matter how much you and everyone else wants to believe they are.

I know that sounds harsh, and it should be, standing a few feet away from a car that can reach speeds of 150 mph in an 1/8 mile is not something that should be taken lightly.

And yes, as a matter of fact I have actually shot drag racing from track side.

So, now you are going to ask if I have any advice for you, am I right?

I really don't think you will like the advice I have for you, but I will caution you against taking advice from people who "THINK" they know what it's like to photograph drag racing from track side.

If you want to see examples of drag racing photography done very well, look here: http://www.rebilasphot​o.com/ (external link)

AZAlphaDog
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2012 19:05 |  #13

RYC-RKT wrote in post #15269796 (external link)
I have shot the GATOR NATIONAL for the past 8 yrs and the DAYTONA 200 at bike week for the past 25 yrs. all very high speed avg. speeds of 150 mph. I am new to this forum but not photography been shooting since 79 alongside my pops.

OK, put your money where your mouth is, post 5 photos YOU took from track side (from the stands or photos someone else took don't count) with a credential from the Gator Nationals. (Remember to follow the forum posting rules for file size, etc.)

RYC-RKT
37 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 20, 2012 19:34 |  #14

AZAlphaDog wrote in post #15269933 (external link)
OK, put your money where your mouth is, post 5 photos YOU took from track side (from the stands or photos someone else took don't count) with a credential from the Gator Nationals. (Remember to follow the forum posting rules for file size, etc.)

I have nothing to prove to you or anyone in this forum. Especially trolls like you.

Heycoop ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
507 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 20, 2012 19:49 |  #15

RYC-RKT wrote in post #15270085 (external link)
I have nothing to prove to you or anyone in this forum. Especially trolls like you.

Do you reckon you could share a couple, just so I get a bit of an idea of how to compose a good shot? Especially if you have been shooting for 25 years, and I am assuming you are supplying magazines etc?

sponsored links

7,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with Drag racing photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.