Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding gear question

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2012 08:00 |  #1

Any of you have or have used a 200L in your workflow??

I get a lot of churches that will let you come so far so ive been fighting using a 100-400 for reach.......it usually sucks. 300MM seems to be the answer. So ive been contemplating a 300MM prime. Talked to a few buddies that have a 200L and they love them. With a TC thats 280 at F/2.8. Ive always wanted to get one but think it would be limiting for what we all do...theres nothing else that does what a 200L does,,,,135L is a close 2nd.....your thoughts pretty please.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2012 08:03 |  #2

BTW... that new Sigma 120-300F/2.8 looks impressive. Gonna check into that as well.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 20, 2012 08:05 |  #3

I have the 200 2.8L. I don't use it much for weddings though, but it's in my bag just in case.

With the TC, that would be F4.0 (or are you referring to the 200 F2.0L? -- very pricey lens!)

The 135L gets used quite a bit though.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2012 08:08 as a reply to  @ ScullenCrossBones's post |  #4

Yes......200 F/2.0

Its a super tele and its expensive. Also very impressive as to what it does. The 200,300,400 super teles are the best lens on the market so they are not cheap

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 20, 2012 08:39 |  #5

I shoot pro sports, so I have a 300 2.8 and a 400 2.8 and I use both for weddings from time to time.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 20, 2012 08:40 |  #6

Mike I use the 70-200 MKII IS L with the 1.4 extender a lot. F4 on the 5D MKIII at a higher ISO isn't a problem.

Peter

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 20, 2012 08:45 |  #7

Never needed more than my 70-200 in a church.

Gear List

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,661 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 20, 2012 08:52 |  #8

Mike, I use the 70-200 f/2.8 IS on my second body. This gives me a pretty good "field" range when I have to move around from the balcony to the main floor side and center aisles. I also have the 1.4 TC which knocks a top off, but that's ok with a little higher ISO on my 5Dc.

The 200 is a wonderful and lighter lens. I would just find it too limiting for my type of use. I do have the 135L f/2 though in case I need it.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 20, 2012 11:49 |  #9

Mike--you are a gear-acquiring machine !

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2012 12:35 |  #10

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #15267665 (external link)
Mike I use the 70-200 MKII IS L with the 1.4 extender a lot. F4 on the 5D MKIII at a higher ISO isn't a problem.

Thank you sir. I was hoping someone with a 5D3 would post. That puts you at 280 @ f/4 so i would guess your B/t 4000-6400 inside ?? I was going to go this way and sell my 100-400 and get a 300 F/4 L. I already have a 70-200 and I need more reach, especially for ring shots and stuff i want to be tight on. Right now im cropping more than i would like. If i can get close i use the 135L because i love the look at F/2.---2.5......the 200L is killer for shallow depth shots.....its also put me at 450MM at F/4.0 with a crop,,280@ f/2.8 on the 5D3 which means faster shutter speeds and for the wildlife stuff i like to do and 640mm with a 2X extender on a crop gets me F/5.6...Thats good reach...the reviews im reading say the 200 F?2.0 take a TC really well.

I was originally looking to get a 300 this next year but i could use the 200L more with the portrait and wedding work. Portraits with the 200L are 2nd to none.

Sent Brian at digital picture an email so im waiting to get some more info on the sigma form him.

So im thinking of selling the 100-400 to get it

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 20, 2012 14:42 |  #11

my opinion, for what it's worth- if the couple want to get married in a giant ass church, where i'm limited to shooting from a mile away, they aren't going to get super tight photos of the ceremony. sorry, i didn't pick the venue and I didn't make the rules.
the tightest I shoot is a 70-200L on a crop camera if i have to.

sure i want to do the best job possible and all, but i'm not buying a 200L f/2 to put on a t/c to get a close up shot of them exchanging rings shot from the balcony. maybe i'd rent it for that purpose if i had to, but this seems pretty extreme to me.
maybe you can stage that exchange afterwards and move in with your 70-200L or 135 or something, that would probably take about 30 seconds and save $6k+

don't get me wrong, i'd love to justify buying a 200L :) but to me, that isn't the reason.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 20, 2012 14:44 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

bigarchi wrote in post #15268941 (external link)
my opinion, for what it's worth- if the couple want to get married in a giant ass church, where i'm limited to shooting from a mile away, they aren't going to get super tight photos of the ceremony. sorry, i didn't pick the venue and I didn't make the rules.

sure i want to do the best job possible and all, but i'm not buying a 200L f/2 to put on a t/c to get a close up shot of them exchanging rings shot from the balcony. maybe i'd rent it for that purpose if i had to, but this seems pretty extreme to me.
maybe you can stage that exchange afterwards and move in with your 70-200L or 135 or something, that would probably take about 30 seconds and save $6k+

don't get me wrong, i'd love to justify buying a 200L :) but to me, that isn't the reason.

500L f4 IS would do fine.....:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 20, 2012 15:29 |  #13

bigarchi wrote in post #15268941 (external link)

Rent the 200L F2.0 and a Sherpa and add those to the cost of the wedding quote.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 20, 2012 15:36 |  #14

TooManyShots wrote in post #15268950 (external link)
500L f4 IS would do fine.....:)

I dont even want to go there.......Talk about an eagle catching lens:lol:..thats a one trick piece of glass. We were photographing wild bears this summer and a guy from England had one on an MKIV. He let me take a peekbw!

.....My wife looked at me like.....In your wet dreams baby:lol::lol:

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 20, 2012 16:53 |  #15

I'm in the same boat as Mitch. I didn't pick the venue. If my 70-200 isn't enough then they're just going to get wide shots of the ceremony. So far no complaints. Although, I have slapped the 70-200 on my 7D in the past to get more reach with it. That's the only upside to still having that 7D that I can think of (and the only reason it hasn't been sold yet).

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

2,475 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding gear question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.