Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 08:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding gear question

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 20, 2012 17:04 |  #16

PeaceFire wrote in post #15269422 (external link)
I'm in the same boat as Mitch. I didn't pick the venue. If my 70-200 isn't enough then they're just going to get wide shots of the ceremony.

Which is the attitude that helps me book all these weddings in big, dark churches that are highly restrictive. :p

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,645 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 21, 2012 06:14 |  #17

There are a couple of churches in town that make me rent/borrow a 300, and I am really considering that 120-300 for next year... But I just know my assistant will end up hogging it...

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 23, 2012 03:33 |  #18

Mike,
My budget are not as huge as yours.. but i am also aiming at getting the 200 f/2.0 for wedding. but i suspect i will use it for portrait bit of the wedding rather than the full wedding. 70-200LII will still be the church, reception lens.
if you have the spare $, 200L f/2 is the way i will want to go... but that will be yrsss later
Scott

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 23, 2012 10:01 |  #19

Use a crop cam.

When I am forced to sit at the very back of the church, the 40D + 70-200 is the primary setup. This is one of the many reasons I will not shoot strictly full frame. I want options. And a crop body that gives you many options throughout the day is much better than slinging a 200L or 300L IMO.

Here is one of those weddings. EXIF tells me I was about 70ft away from the couple. But with a crop cam, it's no problem!

IMAGE: http://www.nightanddayphoto.ca/misc/forumpics/POTN/134628_1842.jpg

And with the pixel density of modern crop cams, you can probably crop the image to 2X (or more) and still come out with a very high resolution file. 400mm or 500mm F/2.8. Boom. There you go. This setup is also super useful in reception sniping.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 25, 2012 12:37 |  #20

Late to the party I know, but I have used a 135L + crop camera which is roughly the same as a 200mm on your 5D bodies. I had success with it, but greatly preferred the versatility of a 70-200 in churches, even if it meant losing a full stop of light.

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 26, 2012 10:41 |  #21

135l(ambient light permitting) or 70-200mm 2.8 OS on a crop body works for me.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,938 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 26, 2012 14:31 as a reply to  @ ChadAndreo's post |  #22

Well

Im gonna give sigma another try. Just ordered the 120-300 F/2.8 OS. Should have it by this weekend so im anxious to get it out and put it through the paces. Spent the week researching and everything i found about it is positive. The rep that i know at B&H raved about it and Bryan from digital pictures also gave me high remarks about the lens....he says for the $$ the only thing that beats it is a 300L and a 200L,, and that is was not by much.

So i will let you guys know how it does. Gonna Photograph a US Olympic figure skater this next week so that should give me a good run down on how its gonna do in low light and moving targets. Ive only had one other sigma lens that i was willing to use so im hopeful this does the trick. One of the guys that owns one on the board sent me some raw files and from what i can see,, its very impressive at F/2.8. Tack sharp so im hopeful about IQ and hopeful that is focus' right.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,470 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding gear question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.