Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 01:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a good boom stand...

5W0L3
998 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 21, 2012 01:15 |  #1

I have never owned one.. and I usually shoot alone (and outdoors mostly).. so just wondering which one would be the best option.

Please guide me in the right direction, i'm basically looking for:

- Stand to use with beauty dishes outdoors
- Must have a boom arm (to get the beauty dish placed above the subject facing down)
- Something strong and sturdy outdoors in the wind (I use Kacey 22'' BD with Einstein 640W)
- Possibly comes with a sandbag (weight isn't an issue, I wouldn't mind even a 10-15kg sandbag as long as it doesn't fall over in the wind)
- Money isn't an issue (unless it costs more than an L series lens lol) please provide me with the absolute best stand out there.

Thanks!

Manav
5D III x 2 (gripped) | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 24-70mm IIL | 70-200mm IIL | Some strobes & some speedlights.
Flickr (external link)

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 21, 2012 02:25 |  #2

Time to search the board for "boom", "grip" or "TMR"...

Some quick thoughts are to seperate a great leveling leg steel stand from a great independant boom arm. Research "drop down pins", safety cables and 40 to 50 lbs of dead weight. And think about a Dolly or cart to move it all!

I've got both a "steel combo" Avenger A4039CS stand as well as a D600 boom arm. I'd pick the boom arm over the combo stand 90% of the time...

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 21, 2012 08:29 as a reply to  @ MrScott's post |  #3

You might consider C-type leg base with sandbags.

Best, Bruce

Nick5
Goldmember
3,241 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 21, 2012 09:03 |  #4

I am actually going to pick this one up next week.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …20B_Combi_Boom_​Stand.html (external link)

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Alexam
67 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 22, 2012 08:41 |  #5

Lencarta have 2 boom stands. Try their site.

Serious about Photography - Alexam Images and APA - Associated Photographic Alliance
Visit my profiles on TFP Models & Malcolm Alexander - Star Now

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,272 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a good boom stand...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.