Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 00:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: HorusBennu C-3540V Carbon Fiber Tripod & LX-5 Ball Head Combo (Lots of pics!)

dcains
154 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 15, 2012 10:18 |  #31

xghostx wrote in post #13764986 (external link)
They look and feel like the gitzo ones?
http://ronmart.smugmug​.com …0/M/Tripods-25-Edit-M.jpg (external link)

When have you seen plastic parts on a Gitzo?

sponsored links
mandokid1
Cream of the Crop
13,659 posts
Gallery: 717 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 15, 2012 20:38 |  #32

you guys are awful!!!!!
just ordered mine today,and got it for my offer of 350.

DENIS
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mandokid1/ (external link)
7-Dmk11 5-D Mark 11.5D mark 111
Canon 100 macro, Canon MPE-65, Canon 16-35,24-70,70-200,300 F4,and Sigma 150-600 dg sport

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 18, 2012 21:13 |  #33

dcains wrote in post #15248716 (external link)
When have you seen plastic parts on a Gitzo?

The ring nuts and sleeve that lock the legs at the desired length on a carbon fiber Gitzo or HorusBennu tripod are made of the same tough nylon/plastic material. I'm not aware of any other plastic parts on either, and I own both.

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

dcains
154 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 18, 2012 21:22 as a reply to  @ pfjbaldwin's post |  #34

The internal compression fittings on Gitzo's are indeed plastic, and they need to be so they're flexible - I stand corrected on that point. But, none on the threaded parts on a Gitzo, if that's what you mean by "ring nuts" are plastic. Nor are the clips, which lock the legs at one of their preset angles, made of plastic, which I believe is what xghostx claims.

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 19, 2012 22:06 |  #35

dcains wrote in post #15261988 (external link)
The internal compression fittings on Gitzo's are indeed plastic, and they need to be so they're flexible - I stand corrected on that point. But, none on the threaded parts on a Gitzo, if that's what you mean by "ring nuts" are plastic. Nor are the clips, which lock the legs at one of their preset angles, made of plastic, which I believe is what xghostx claims.

The leg clips on the HB with the HB stamped in white are metal, same as my Gitzo and function identically. The outside grip of the threaded nuts is definitely not metal on my Gitzo.

CPS

dcains
154 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 20, 2012 04:18 |  #36

In post #21 of this thread xghostx says the leg angle clips are plastic - that's why I asked.

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 20, 2012 10:26 |  #37

dcains wrote in post #15267170 (external link)
In post #21 of this thread xghostx says the leg angle clips are plastic - that's why I asked.

Believe me they're metal. If I saw plastic in such a high stress point on the HB I would have returned it very quickly. Of the many mid-line carbon fiber tripods at the $300-600 price point I find my HorusBennu C-3540V an excellent value equal to or better than others I have tried at significantly less $$$. It is super light, rock stable and quick set-up with built in spikes and 1/4 twist anti rotation leg locks that operate the same as my Gitzo. It's a great field tripod and fits perfectly in the slot of my Tamrac Expedition 8x backpack with ballhead down. The only limitation I am aware of is the length of the center column for shooting below 15", but for me, I'm rarely that low and all tripods with a normal size center column have the same limitation.

CPS

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 20, 2012 10:36 |  #38

xghostx wrote in post #13758779 (external link)
They are plastic.

I own the HB C-3540V and the leg clips with HorusBennu name in white are most definitely metal, not plastic. They operate the same as Gitzo. It would be foolish for any company representing their tripod as pro grade to use plastic at such a high stress point.

CPS

airdima
288 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 21, 2012 02:05 |  #39

i received my set of legs today. initial impressions are not very good. the overall feel of the tripod is relatively cheap. parts fit and operation are nowhere near what i experienced with HB FX-7439TT. angle leg locks are metal, twist locks are plastic. i will run the tripod through a series of tests, including overall stability and vibration dampening and compare it to my manfrotto 055XPROB. expect a detailed review in 2 weeks, maybe less

My Facebook Page (external link)
My Website (external link) || My Blog (external link) (Hebrew)

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 21, 2012 09:18 |  #40

airdima wrote in post #15271169 (external link)
i received my set of legs today. initial impressions are not very good. the overall feel of the tripod is relatively cheap. parts fit and operation are nowhere near what i experienced with HB FX-7439TT. angle leg locks are metal, twist locks are plastic. i will run the tripod through a series of tests, including overall stability and vibration dampening and compare it to my manfrotto 055XPROB. expect a detailed review in 2 weeks, maybe less

I own a 055xPROB and while it's a great tripod at a great price, it's also very heavy and totally impractical for field use unless you're into heavy packs and don't have far to walk. I keep it in the studio. I'd enjoy reading your comments comparing the HB C-3540 to something carbon fiber in its price range. Feather light against a tank would'nt be a meaningful comparison for a potential user. Before purchasing my HB I tried a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 and it was so wobbly with a 5Dii and wide angle lens I returned it after a weekend field trial.

CPS

airdima
288 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 21, 2012 10:42 |  #41

pfjbaldwin wrote in post #15272062 (external link)
I own a 055xPROB and while it's a great tripod at a great price, it's also very heavy and totally impractical for field use unless you're into heavy packs and don't have far to walk. I keep it in the studio. I'd enjoy reading your comments comparing the HB C-3540 to something carbon fiber in its price range. Feather light against a tank would'nt be a meaningful comparison for a potential user. Before purchasing my HB I tried a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 and it was so wobbly with a 5Dii and wide angle lens I returned it after a weekend field trial.

i wish i had another CF tripod in the same range to compare it to :)
however the only reason i bought the c-3540v was to replace the bulky 055. while its not in the same weight category, its roughly the same size, and since carbon tripods are more rigid i expect the HB to be betetr than the 055 in every respect under similar loads

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 21, 2012 12:01 |  #42

airdima wrote in post #15272381 (external link)
i wish i had another CF tripod in the same range to compare it to :)
however the only reason i bought the c-3540v was to replace the bulky 055. while its not in the same weight category, its roughly the same size, and since carbon tripods are more rigid i expect the HB to be betetr than the 055 in every respect under similar loads

You and I bought the C-3540V for the exact same reasons, as a same height field replacement for the 055. Love mine particularly the rapid set-up, stability and amazing light weight! Light on the wallet too! :)

CPS

airdima
288 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 22, 2012 00:26 |  #43

well... i just was surprised. something inside told me that theres no logical reason to make the twist legs locks out of plastic. so i took a sharp knife and scratched the inner area on one of the locks. surprisingly it turned out to be metal

so, yes, despite the VERY plastic appearance, thats a HUGE relief. you should change the locks on your tripod, it IS possible that HB changed some things in later batches

airdima
288 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 05, 2013 10:42 |  #44

an update after a year of fairly intense use (roughly 70 days in the field)

i replaced the original spiked feet with benro spikes (bought a set on ebay for 10$). a highly recommended upgrade, even though i had to tap the threads from 1/4 to 3/8". the tripod now bites much better into rock and soft ground

i also shortened the center column to be able to go to the lowest leg position without raising the center column

this year i've been doing mostly seascapes, so the tripod has been in and around the sea water on more than enough occasions. i made sure it was cleaned of salt with fresh water. the leg locks require more care than i was hoping for, as i had to clean them of sand and mud after each time at the beach. the locks has no seals of any kind, so it's very easy for sand to get in the threads and scrath the anodized coatings which might lead to corrosion in the future.

otherwise the tripod works very well. much more stable than my old 055xprob, especially in the vibration dampening department

from what i've seen from more known mid range brands, such as feisol, benro and manfrotto, this tripod offers the best mix of size, weight and stability, at least for my needs. you can get a 4 section benro tripod that offers almost the same dimensions but is slightly heavier and about 50$ more expensive (although it also offers a better finish)

bottom line, it's worth its price and maybe a bit more and sure is a great carbon tripod for someone on a budget

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,669 posts
Gallery: 534 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Jun 22, 2014 08:19 |  #45

Reviving this thread....

Does anyone know if there is a short center column available for this tripod so, as the OP did, you don't have to cut the OEM center column?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links

34,568 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: HorusBennu C-3540V Carbon Fiber Tripod & LX-5 Ball Head Combo (Lots of pics!)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.