Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 14 Sep 2012 (Friday) 07:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C100 Announced

starlights
661 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 19, 2012 11:29 |  #16

How would this compare to Blackmagic camera ? Blackmagic seems to be a far better value ....

sponsored links
skwirnmn
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 19, 2012 12:36 |  #17

starlights wrote in post #15014097 (external link)
How would this compare to Blackmagic camera ? Blackmagic seems to be a far better value ....

honestly, your best value camera is probably a used t2i found here on the forums for like 350 bucks..

the c100 may be thousands more, and only have a few features that certainly dont justify the price tag, there are one or two features the c100 may have that may make the camera's price tag entirely worth it.

for the time being, I don't need anything more than my 600 dollar 60D to get the job done, but that's because I don't need any of the features the higher end cameras are offering.

starlights
661 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 19, 2012 22:37 |  #18

skwirnmn wrote in post #15014461 (external link)
honestly, your best value camera is probably a used t2i found here on the forums for like 350 bucks..

the c100 may be thousands more, and only have a few features that certainly dont justify the price tag, there are one or two features the c100 may have that may make the camera's price tag entirely worth it.

for the time being, I don't need anything more than my 600 dollar 60D to get the job done, but that's because I don't need any of the features the higher end cameras are offering.

Well, blackmagic, as I understand, records RAW video, so its not really in the same league as t2i - even with the cost difference. I dont know about the Canon C xxx

skwirnmn
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 19, 2012 22:58 |  #19

starlights wrote in post #15017222 (external link)
Well, blackmagic, as I understand, records RAW video, so its not really in the same league as t2i - even with the cost difference. I dont know about the Canon C xxx

right, but for my uses, I wouldn't need to shoot raw, so again, the t2i is just a better option for me because of the huge price difference. I definitely could take advantage of all that the black magic has to offer, but it's just not something I'd be investing in.

maybe my original post was misleading. in comparison, the 1dx is a far better camera than the xsi. but in the end, if all you're going to do is take a picture of a flower, the xsi with the kit lens is enough of a camera for you.

John ­ Sims
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 20, 2012 05:00 |  #20

starlights wrote in post #15014097 (external link)

On the face of it the Blackmagic offers spectacular value relative to its features but would require a very specific work flow.

It does record RAW to an internal solid state hard drive. RAW video (as RAW image files) give the greatest latitude in image capture but will produce some pretty magnificent sized files. As with RAW image files RAW video is sod all use until it is processed so you produce another file (and use more storage space).

OK so storage is pretty cheap these days so that may not be a problem. However, if you are providing your footage to a third party to edit, subject to what system they use, this could be a pain and necessitate conversion from RAW prior to handing the footage over.

As more systems become available in the ProSumer market allowing RAW capture I have every confidence RAW video will become the standard (as is RAW image capture now for all bar point and shoot). The advantages and image potential are spectacular - all those issues of bright sunlight and shadows, shooting internally with windows in the scene etc can be addressed subsequently without having to compromise the shoot. Sweet. :-)

If you are working in isolation, particularly with set piece shoots compared to live action capture, a Blackmagic would be a no brain purchase. I'm not convinced it would be an ideal camera out in the field though.

When comparing the C*** cameras from Canon, how many XLR sockets etc. it has in comparison to a Sony/Panasonic etc is almost irrelevant (aside convenience of shooting). The critical point will be image quality. In the same way an L Series lens seems expensive.....but isn't.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 20, 2012 07:18 |  #21

skwirnmn wrote in post #15014461 (external link)

Designated video cameras don't just have extra features, they will have a higher dynamic range, which is pertinent to the image quality of video. The 60D has a pretty pathetic 8 stops of Dynamic Range, while the Blackmagic Cinema is claiming 13.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

skwirnmn
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 20, 2012 15:51 |  #22

Kento wrote in post #15018205 (external link)
Designated video cameras don't just have extra features, they will have a higher dynamic range, which is pertinent to the image quality of video. The 60D has a pretty pathetic 8 stops of Dynamic Range, while the Blackmagic Cinema is claiming 13.

I think you missed the point of my post.. again. you win, I don't feel like explaining.

John ­ Sims
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 20, 2012 17:23 |  #23

Kento wrote in post #15018205 (external link)

I see where you are comming from but perhaps not comparing apples. DSLR's have quite a significant dynamic range (subject to picture style) hence their use in cinematography. The likes of the Blackmagic are a completely different beast possessing exceptional dynamic range and latitude. To say that a 60D isn't good because it falls behind the Blackmagic is like saying a 911 Turbo is a slow car because it isn't in F1 or 35mm cameras were rubbish compared to a Bronica. It's different tools for different jobs.

John Sims

Darryll
93 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 21, 2012 12:34 |  #24

Unfortunately it wont do 60fps or even 50. Right now it's priced at £4100 body only but add another £2000 to get the best out of it apparently, external hardive like the Ninja and other bits and bobs.

Blackmagic looks good at half the price but add up all the bits you need to even get it running and they match up.

No removable battery for the Black Magic is the worst idea to date.

John ­ Sims
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 21, 2012 13:07 |  #25

Darryll wrote in post #15272794 (external link)
.....No removable battery for the Black Magic is the worst idea to date.

Not really. When used within a rig, as most will be, the preference is for an external large capacity battery supplying power to all the components within the rig through a distribution plate. One big battery does everything.

John Sims

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 21, 2012 13:18 |  #26

John Sims wrote in post #15272911 (external link)
Not really. When used within a rig, as most will be, the preference is for an external large capacity battery supplying power to all the components within the rig through a distribution plate. One big battery does everything.

Yep. All about that BDS!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Darryll
93 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 21, 2012 15:13 |  #27

True, but i'd rather have the option.

As Bloom says, that's a solution to a problem that really shouldn't be there in the first place.

Darryll
93 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 28, 2013 08:38 |  #28

Almost bought this today .. then noticed most suppliers are suddenly doing 0% interest on this camera only, some are bundling it with the Ninja2. Coming in at £5220 roughly.

I'm taking it as a sign to wait a bit, really want/need it but after having an extensive play, it really should be cheaper.

sponsored links

4,805 views & 0 likes for this thread
C100 Announced
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.