Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Nov 2012 (Monday) 16:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you do?

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 19, 2012 23:15 |  #16

id10t wrote in post #15265952 (external link)
I have over many years purchased a lot of items at very low prices and resold them on ebay and other forums. That is how I raised enough money to purchase the gear I now have. So when I spotted this deal I jumped on it knowing what it's worth and what I could sell it for. When the seller said he needed rent money by today and had put it on craigslist Sunday morning early, I was the first to respond. When I first spoke to him I was not convinced it was legit but some things he told me and the way he said them made me a little less skeptical. He said he was a student and bought the camera for a advertising class where they were learning to photograph water droplets. That seemed like something that one would not make up, but maybe he's a clever thief or I'm an easy target. Anyway now my doubts are resurfacing and you are probably right about not reselling it but now if I keep it and it needs service I may have trouble. I wish I could find out from Canon without devulging my identity and run the risk of the camera being confiscated from me. I would never knowingly buy stolen items with the intent on reselling them for a profit.

This is a public record admitting your concerns that it might be stolen. Contact your local police immediately! Losing the money you have spent on the camera will be the least of your worries if you are later found to be in possession of stolen merchandise. Selling it now without checking would be even worse. Good luck.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

id10t
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 20, 2012 05:31 |  #17

The first thing I thought was it was a scam so when I emailed him I said So you are selling a $3000 camera for for $xxxx? If you are not a scammer send me your number so I can call you to purchase the camera. He responded within 15-30 minutes with a message No I am not a scammer just a broke college student you can call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. We met at a Mcdonalds for both of our safety and he seemed to be fine, wasn't looking around nervously or anything like that. These deals are out there if you keep looking. I missed a deal by 15 minutes on a Canon 500mm manual focus lens plus 2 other lenses for $500 about a month ago and a Sony A850 with zeiss 85mm and zeiss 16-80 plus a flash for $2000 about a week before.

6D/ 24-105 f4 IS/ 85 f1.8/ 70-300L IS

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 20, 2012 07:46 |  #18

Read the first part of this: https://photography-on-the.net …light=stolen+ca​non+70-200

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 21, 2012 16:15 as a reply to  @ Craign's post |  #19

For the sake of argument, let's agree that the 5DIII is a $3400 camera new(although I got an advisory from Canonpricewatch last week that some one was selling it for $2499), and a $3000 used camera (amazon used prices). The lower the price below $2700 the more suspicious you become that something is wrong with this deal. So just tell us what you paid for the camera, and let public opinion concensus (not facts) decide if it was stolen or not? -rick

id10t wrote in post #15267268 (external link)
The first thing I thought was it was a scam so when I emailed him I said So you are selling a $3000 camera for for $xxxx?

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Whippeticious
Goldmember
2,302 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 21, 2012 16:18 |  #20

id10t wrote in post #15267268 (external link)
The first thing I thought was it was a scam so when I emailed him I said So you are selling a $3000 camera for for $xxxx? If you are not a scammer send me your number so I can call you to purchase the camera. He responded within 15-30 minutes with a message No I am not a scammer just a broke college student you can call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. We met at a Mcdonalds for both of our safety and he seemed to be fine, wasn't looking around nervously or anything like that. These deals are out there if you keep looking. I missed a deal by 15 minutes on a Canon 500mm manual focus lens plus 2 other lenses for $500 about a month ago and a Sony A850 with zeiss 85mm and zeiss 16-80 plus a flash for $2000 about a week before.

did he have all the original packaging that goes with it?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,463 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you do?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.