Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 00:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does anyone on here own a 1DX who does not work professionally?

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 21, 2012 18:49 |  #91

I have one. Not a pro. Never made one red penny from my photography. I just figure it is a better place to spend money than drugs. :)

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

sponsored links
blindshooter
229 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 21, 2012 19:01 |  #92

rdalrt wrote in post #15274006 (external link)
I have one. Not a pro. Never made one red penny from my photography. I just figure it is a better place to spend money than drugs. :)

I'm betting you're up there for a non-pro with the most gear...

chenga732
465 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 21, 2012 19:10 |  #93

blindshooter wrote in post #15274050 (external link)
I'm betting you're up there for a non-pro with the most gear...

I would agree too. Nice set of gears. :)

Xsi|24-105mm f4.0|70-200mm f4.0|85mm f.18

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,128 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 21, 2012 19:23 as a reply to  @ chenga732's post |  #94

I could afford one, although it would take use of plastic to make it happen. But it wouldn't improve my photography and frankly, I'd feel a little foolish carrying around a 1Dx when my talent isn't at that level. I have a 7D because I felt frustrated by the limits of the Xsi. The 7D is sophisticated enough for my abilities and is a good balance between expense for a hobby and my own ambitions and abilities.

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2012 06:02 |  #95

I am far from a pro, purely an over indulging hobbyist.

Just last week I missed out on purchasing a mint condition 2nd hand 1d mk iv, so now my object of desire has become the 1dx.

The 1dx retails for around the 7.5k mark here in Australia, but when compared to my other passion (wake boarding), the purchase price is comparatively cheap. I paid 80k for my wake boat a couple of years ago, I pay 5k every year for a lease on a private lake and big $$ every weekend on petrol running the boat. (I dont smoke, drink or gamble and I work damn hard to pay for my toys. As the motto says, work hard, play hard.)

An incentive for me to buy the camera now is I am heading off to Hawaii in two weeks time, so if I buy before I fly, I have a 10% reduction on the total purchase price due to it being duty free.

Will I buy one, not sure yet, the temptation is very strong, but if I buy the camera, I will also need to buy the 24-70 f2.8 lens as my current 17-55 f2.8 EFS lens that I use on my 7d wont fit the 1dx.

How do I justify another camera & lens purchase to my wife without ending up in the dog house is the key to the whole problem here.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 22, 2012 06:59 |  #96

I am a hobbyist and was about to buy one. But in the end I got the 200L IS instead. If business goes well in the next financial year then I'll get it. My motto is same as doofuss.. Work hard, play hard(er).

Btw, good to see someone from Perth here.

enice128
43 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 22, 2012 08:37 |  #97

I myself am a hobbyist however i do some paying gigs such as weddings, sweet 16s,etc. Im not your traditional photographer & i am not at all a professional. I instead get paid directly from some djs that i know where i take candid shots, slideshow them on the lcds at parties, then give a dvd or two at the end of the party along w my card which gets me more work. I do NOT have the 1dX however i just upgraded from the 7D to the 1DMK4. I believe you should never be afraid to spend $ in business since you will always get your return back (hopefully). I know this upgrade will definitely help me out & make me a better photographer with its high ISO capabilities & faster auto focusing. I couldnt see myself spending the $ on the 1DX but i got an amazing deal on the 1DMK4 used along with a great trade-in price. My passion however is sports & i intend to get more heavily involved in it after the holidays other than shooting my nephew's games. I guess if you have the $ to burn on the 1DX then go for it. I did recently grab the mk2 version of the 70-200 2.8 which is the perfect starter sports lens (for small field sports like basketball, volleyball, etc.). I will be short however shooting sports such as baseball, football, soccer, etc. I guess i can always crop for now! When i was upgrading to the 1DMK4 a gentleman was trading in his used 300 2.8 for the new MK2 which is about $7,000 with his trade-in a around $3,000. So he still had to come up with about $4,000 out of pocket but he shoots performing arts so he probably makes a buck or two! I believe EVERY photographer starts out somewhere eventually trading up for bodies, lenses & other gear as they improve with time! For me, im good with my choice of weaponry (see below) FOR NOW, but this damn hobby keeps sucking me in! I keep saying "im good for now" but then i keep wanting something more! Last week i went to the store to upgrade from my 17-40 to the 16-35 but chose the 1DMK4 instead......but i STILL want the 16-35!

Canon 1D MK IV / Canon 50L 1.2 / Canon 16-35L 2.8 II / Canon 70-200L 2.8 II / Canon 1.4x ii extender / Canon 580exii Speedlite emcphotographyblog.shu​tterfly.com

rockygarcia
390 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 22, 2012 10:18 |  #98

lensfreak wrote in post #15270944 (external link)
Hi,

Does anyone on here own a Canon EOS 1DX who does not work professionally in photography but is an enthusiest?

I get the occasional job every blue moon, but feel compelled to get a 1DX for personal use.

It is an expensive camera but by God its a damn good camera.

I ask this as I had this issue many moons ago when I wanted a 400mm plus lens for my camera and after tossing ideas ended up getting a sigma 120-400mm. Only because I didnt have $10,000 sitting around for a proper 500mm L lens. Its a nice lens but not as nice as a L canon lens. So when I wanted the 70-200mm, I opted for the best of the best and went for the 70-200mm f/2.8 mk2 IS, yeah it cost a lot, but it was worth the money. So now I am wanting to get another body and its either the 5dmk3 or the 1dx.

I figure if i get the mk3, it will never come close to the performance and build of a 1dx. I have learnt in life that sometimes it pays to go for the very best and if you have to pay it off it will always make you more happier than going second best. Anyone else see this is the case when deciding?

I'm a total amateur and have the 1dx. Yes it's overkill and I probably look silly on the sidelines of my 8yr old's soccer games, but I get great action pics and love shooting it.

One time I was shooting one of his games and was standing behind a row of parents sitting in folding chairs watching the game. I fired off a three second barrage at 12fps and they all turned around in unison and looked at me; one of them said "wow that sounded professional." I smiled sheepishly feeling a tad embarrassed. :oops:

If you can afford it without going into debt and without sacrificing on the more important things in life (retirement savings, food, kids education funds...), then get it, it's an amazing camera.

1DX | 17-40 F4L | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 200 2.8L for sale | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 300 F4L | 100-400L | Kenko Pro 300 1.4x DGX | 2x Canon Tele III | 430EXII

rockygarcia
390 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 22, 2012 10:21 |  #99

You're obviously not buying the right drugs. JUST KIDDING!!!:D

1DX | 17-40 F4L | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 200 2.8L for sale | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 300 F4L | 100-400L | Kenko Pro 300 1.4x DGX | 2x Canon Tele III | 430EXII

SPDnTRXI
211 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 22, 2012 10:25 |  #100

^ I did that barrage taking a class picture for Halloween at my girls school.... got the same reaction followed by can you give me a copy of that and then the teacher asked me to take individual portraits in class. So it's not always good. I was trying to hide the fact that I had just torn my ACL a couple nights before and could barely walk, it was painful to kneel down and take picture of 7-8 years olds.

Early Adopter

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2012 15:39 |  #101

SPDnTRXI wrote in post #15276036 (external link)
^ I did that barrage taking a class picture for Halloween at my girls school.... got the same reaction followed by can you give me a copy of that and then the teacher asked me to take individual portraits in class. So it's not always good. I was trying to hide the fact that I had just torn my ACL a couple nights before and could barely walk, it was painful to kneel down and take picture of 7-8 years olds.

The same sort of things happens with any pro looking camera.

I have a gripped 7d, and without fail, every time I go on holidays and am somewhere taking photos, other tourists will see me with my gear and say something like, "Wow. You look like you know what you're doing, so can you take some good snaps for me with my camera?"

They then proceed to try to hand me a cheap basic point and shoot and expect me to take pro level photos with it for them. :confused:

A couple of years ago I was at the Tiger Temple in Thailand using my 7d and 100-400 lens to take pics of the tigers playing in the canyon. I was approached by several other tourists there who asked if they gave me their email addresses would I email some of my photos to them because they couldnt get quality pics with their cheap point and shoot compacts.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 22, 2012 16:17 |  #102

doofuss wrote in post #15277051 (external link)
The same sort of things happens with any pro looking camera.

I have a gripped 7d, and without fail, every time I go on holidays and am somewhere taking photos, other tourists will see me with my gear and say something like, "Wow. You look like you know what you're doing, so can you take some good snaps for me with my camera?"

They then proceed to try to hand me a cheap basic point and shoot and expect me to take pro level photos with it for them. :confused:

A couple of years ago I was at the Tiger Temple in Thailand using my 7d and 100-400 lens to take pics of the tigers playing in the canyon. I was approached by several other tourists there who asked if they gave me their email addresses would I email some of my photos to them because they couldnt get quality pics with their cheap point and shoot compacts.

Yes, i've had this happen as well. If i have the time, it' doesn't bother me. I'll assume that you can take a better shot of them.. even with a garbage camera, as i'm sure they probably wouldn't know squat about composition. ;)

Kel
Gear

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2012 17:52 |  #103

Yes, i've had this happen as well. If i have the time, it' doesn't bother me. I'll assume that you can take a better shot of them.. even with a garbage camera, as i'm sure they probably wouldn't know squat about composition.

Spot on Kel. Yes, I do ultimately take the pictures for them with their camera, and yes, I also try to improve the photo with composition.

I am always amazed though by Japanese tourists who when presented with some stunning vista or major piece of architecture etc, they always get someone to take a photo of them standing directly in front of it pulling a big cheesey smile and doing the V for victory symbol with both hands.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 22, 2012 18:37 |  #104

I think a better question would be; are there people on here who have a 1Dx who actually are pros

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

westernminnguy
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 22, 2012 18:56 |  #105

Nice gear list. I bet you have a lot of fun shooting.

So what do you shoot?

:)

IMAGES (external link)

VIDEO YouTube (external link)

VIDEO Vimeo (external link)

sponsored links

37,412 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does anyone on here own a 1DX who does not work professionally?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.