Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 07:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nothing but trouble with Intuos 5

geoffcanon
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 05, 2012 07:38 as a reply to  @ post 15208551 |  #46

In Wacom's defence, I have sold hundred's of Intuos4 & Intusos5 and never had any reports of errors such as this. The DOA percentages are very low and Wacom's support for me as a dealer is good enough for me to confidently send out a brand new replacement whenever an issues arises. If there was a general issue, I'm sure I would be aware of it because my returns figures would be sky high.

sponsored links
peber
250 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 05, 2012 08:22 |  #47

I've had several problems with my Intous 3 on my Windows 7 32 bit over the years, I created a batch file on the desktop to restart the services and getting it to work again. About a month ago I switched to Mac, installed the latest driver. In the beginning it worked fine but after a couple of days it sort of hung the whole computer, that is some things worked but I could not shut it down or start a terminal and shut it down that way. Had to do a hard reset. Then I uninstalled the driver and removed the tablet, since then I've had no problems with the computer. For now I edit with the trackpad, works better than I expected...

IT Consultant by trade, photographer by heart

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 05, 2012 15:57 |  #48

evo5ive wrote in post #15208551 (external link)
I had a phone get wet and short something on one of the boards and it responded the same way. I'd guess this to be hardware related rather than driver related.

I suspect the same, Wacom agree, so I have returned it to Amazon.

I guess I got a bit unlucky. I will be replacing it with a pen only version I think though when the refund comes through. The touch will be a nice feature I think in future versions, at the moment I found it marginally useful and a distraction. The pen rocks though its a shame they give you that cigar thick pen, and not somthing slimmer.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 05, 2012 15:59 |  #49

geoffcanon wrote in post #15208730 (external link)
In Wacom's defence, I have sold hundred's of Intuos4 & Intusos5 and never had any reports of errors such as this. The DOA percentages are very low and Wacom's support for me as a dealer is good enough for me to confidently send out a brand new replacement whenever an issues arises. If there was a general issue, I'm sure I would be aware of it because my returns figures would be sky high.

Thats good to hear. These things happen from time to time, its very difficult to judge DOA percentages unless you sell these things, as users we only see (understandably) vocal minority and not the many happy users who are just getting on with it.

Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 05, 2012 16:16 |  #50

tonylong wrote in post #15207826 (external link)
Mark, haha, is that 'cause you always shoot with the lens cap on, or do you just stay in the Green Box mode :)?

No, Tony, I don't always shoot with the lens cap on. Just sometimes. :lol: ;)

As to green box, too embarassed to use that. I'd rather miss the shot or get a lousy one than use that. Perfectly sensible, no? :lol:

evo5ive
302 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 05, 2012 19:16 |  #51

weeatmice wrote in post #15210709 (external link)
I suspect the same, Wacom agree, so I have returned it to Amazon.

I guess I got a bit unlucky. I will be replacing it with a pen only version I think though when the refund comes through. The touch will be a nice feature I think in future versions, at the moment I found it marginally useful and a distraction. The pen rocks though its a shame they give you that cigar thick pen, and not somthing slimmer.

Keep us posted on how the new one works. I'd really prefer the 5 over the 4, if only because it's newer, so would love to know how this turns out.

Kirk
Website (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link)

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 12, 2012 17:52 |  #52

Amazon accepted the return and refunded. Whether they check these things or just send them on to Wacom I dont know.

Anyway, the Pen only Intuos 5 arrived today and has worked flawlessly all day for general desktop work, and this evening tested it drawing and had no glitches whatsoever. If anything goes wrong, I'll post here. I'm enjoying using it right now, if it works this well going forward I'll be getting another for work, maybe a small.

Sync
233 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 12, 2012 18:15 |  #53

I'm wondering if the tablet driver might conflict with the Pen input service that is installed with Windows 7? That could be the problem. Has anyone with the tablet issues tried disabling that service?

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 21, 2012 14:14 |  #54

MDJAK wrote in post #15206954 (external link)
Sheesh, all these problems with an established company? That sucks. You guys need to tweet it. That is monitored by many companies and gets their attention.

But boy oh boy am I glad I get it right in camera and don't need to bother with PS. ;) :lol :oops:

I have tweeted to them a number of times, and it hasn't made any difference. My Intuos 5 is still having issues, though it seems to be less frequently. For those interested, my full review is on my blog here: http://aepoc.wordpress​.com …ew-wacom-intuos-5-tablet/ (external link)

weeatmice - Sorry to hear about your issues with the Pen + Touch. It's good to know the Pen-only version is working for you. That was something that Wacom should have mentioned to me (replacing my Pen+Touch with a Pen-only version, and crediting me the difference). They have basically given up on me.

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
aepoc.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 21, 2012 18:44 |  #55

aepoc wrote in post #15273141 (external link)
I have tweeted to them a number of times, and it hasn't made any difference. My Intuos 5 is still having issues, though it seems to be less frequently. For those interested, my full review is on my blog here: http://aepoc.wordpress​.com …ew-wacom-intuos-5-tablet/ (external link)

weeatmice - Sorry to hear about your issues with the Pen + Touch. It's good to know the Pen-only version is working for you. That was something that Wacom should have mentioned to me (replacing my Pen+Touch with a Pen-only version, and crediting me the difference). They have basically given up on me.

What motherboard are you using? Are the USB driver on the motherboard updated?

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 22, 2012 08:53 |  #56

Yes, I have updated absolutely everything on my computer. This has been going on for about six months, and it's driving me crazy (pun intended).

On a side note, I started working in Lightroom today, and now all of my settings for my applications the Intuos 5 are gone... completely wiped out!!! How is this a good product?!!?

Canon 7D+grip, 40D+grip, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 60mm f/2.8, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 430ex flash, Canon 430ex II flash
flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

Dave ­ Weldon
491 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 22, 2012 09:29 as a reply to  @ aepoc's post |  #57

Howdy,

If I had this problem; at this point, I'd wait until it was in somewhat of a consistant failure mode and then put it in the refrigerator long enough for it to be completely chilled throughout - maybe 30 minutes. Pull it out of the frig and try it right away. See if you can associate the failure mode, better or worse, with temperature. Sometimes you get lucky and the failure tracks temperature very well. It's one way to pin an intermittent problem to a hardware failure. Part of my "day job" is helping sell and support, among other solutions, the hardware and software to develop, test, debug, and certify interfaces like USB, PCIe, etc. :D. Anybody looking to buy a 63GHz real time scope for ~$500K? Discounts available on quantities ;).

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 22, 2012 13:39 |  #58

aepoc wrote in post #15275735 (external link)
Yes, I have updated absolutely everything on my computer. This has been going on for about six months, and it's driving me crazy (pun intended).

On a side note, I started working in Lightroom today, and now all of my settings for my applications the Intuos 5 are gone... completely wiped out!!! How is this a good product?!!?

The Wacom is just a tool such as a monitor, and mouse. If you believe that a mouse can wipe out your setting then maybe a tablet can do the same, but I highly doubt it. I've read most of the posts on this thread and it seem like your computer is the culprit. You either have a bad RAM somewhere or a damage HD. As Wacom stated have you tried this unit on another computer such as a laptop? If it works fine with other computers then you should replace the computer. BTW, what computer do you have? HP, Dell, Mac or custom?

aepoc
THREAD ­ STARTER
438 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 23, 2012 06:33 |  #59

It's custom, I built it, and I know what I'm doing. The HD is fine, though I am thinking of moving to an SSD at some point soon just to see if that's going to help the performance of Lightroom (4), so perhaps that will help. The computer is fine in every other way except Lightroom, and the tablet. And the performance of LR4 is a widely-known issue. The tablet issues didn't happen on the other computer because I haven't been able to invest the required amount of time in order to test it thoroughly. I think I was only able to put a few hours of editing into editing on the laptop; I have too much other work to get done that needs to be done on my machine. Besides, other people have this issue as well. Sounds like something with the Windows 7 64-bit driver, and Wacom isn't exactly looking at it.

All do respect, replacing the computer is not an option. I refuse to replace it in order to make a $350 tablet work the way it is designed to work. This is not my issue, or my computer's issue, it's Wacom's. If it was on my end, my system would show other signs of something wrong, and it doesn't.

flickr (external link)
my blog (external link)

emko
82 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 23, 2012 07:44 |  #60

No issues here I'm on win8. This tablet is so much better then the 12inch cintiq. The only way you will figure out if it's the table or your computer is to use it on another computer until it fails or it works longer then it did on your computer.

sponsored links

12,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nothing but trouble with Intuos 5
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.