Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 22 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama ---

this thread is locked
vargasjv
751 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 22, 2012 10:42 |  #1

Well folks - have avoided to post this, but my expereice with Adorama has not been good. I will warn you to make sure you know what you get is what you get...This is an experience i had when i ordered a L lens earlier this month.

They posted a promotion on Twitter and when i went to order (a few days later) it was already over. How would i know when they didn't give a date on Twitter

Then they had a Visa promotion a couple of days after i ordered, they could not honor it becuase, i had ALREADY ordered it...

Now today (Thursday)- they have a adorama 'bundle' offer on the lens, they won't honor it either.

Not saying there is a huge issue with them - but once they have your money and once you have the lens.. The only answer they give you is 'send it back' -- of course then you have to pay shipping to (and pay for the free shipping to you)..

I don't feel they really try to make you a really happy customer.

sponsored links
Bazinga
361 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 22, 2012 10:53 |  #2

I really dont understand what you are saying.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 22, 2012 11:03 |  #3

Bazinga wrote in post #15276125 (external link)
I really dont understand what you are saying.

he's saying that he bought stuff but found deals later on, but adorama would not honor the new deals (by giving the difference) that occurred after he placed his order.

ironically i just bought lightroom 4 from them last night. but a few minutes later i was looking for a new battery and it turns out they have a bundle with lightroom and the battery for just $10 or so more than lightroom 4 alone! i placed the order for the bundle then wrote an email to adorama to cancel the previous lightroom. woke up this morning and it was all taken care of.

they may not have helped out the op, but they have always shipped super fast (usually next day) and their customer service always helped me with returns.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 22, 2012 11:06 |  #4

I'm not really getting what you're trying to say, either. Are you saying that you bought a lens for a certain price, then they had a promotion which lowered the price and wouldn't give you the difference? I guess we'd need more specifics to comment further.

Helen Oster is a member of this forum, and an Adorama rep. You might want to try contacting her.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

vargasjv
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 22, 2012 11:08 |  #5

Xyclopx ---

You got it. i ordered form them instead of B&H due to all the positive reviews on here -

Maybe they where able to help you because you didn't have your product in hand. I would expect that instead of asking me to return something (for the same item) they could work with me.

This last conversation with them really has me questioning if i will ever buy form them again. Mostly i want to get the 'FREE' 3 year MACK warranty (Thursday/Black Friday Special).

Sadly - i got a NO again

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 22, 2012 11:10 as a reply to  @ gibbit1's post |  #6

(edit)
Email Helen. If there is anything that can be done then she'll take care of you.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 22, 2012 11:11 |  #7

vargasjv wrote in post #15276174 (external link)
Xyclopx ---

You got it. i ordered form them instead of B&H due to all the positive reviews on here -

Maybe they where able to help you because you didn't have your product in hand. I would expect that instead of asking me to return something (for the same item) they could work with me.

This last conversation with them really has me questioning if i will ever buy form them again. Mostly i want to get the 'FREE' 3 year MACK warranty (Thursday/Black Friday Special).

Sadly - i got a NO again

well, i didn't really have the same situation. i basically avoided asking them to "fix" the order by placing 2 orders--the original, and one for the bundle. since the original did not ship yet they were able to cancel it.

in the policies section they say that you cannot cancel orders after they have been shipped.

but that doesn't mean they can't be nice about it and help you out either.

my conclusion is that they do what they are supposed to do very well (cheapest prices, ship immediately, cancel before shipping, replace defects without hassle or cost). maybe not so great on these special circumstances.

sorry they weren't able to help you.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 22, 2012 11:11 |  #8

So, what you're saying is that you expect them to honor every subsequent price break, or promotion, after you purchase an item?

leroy_sunset
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 22, 2012 11:12 |  #9

Wait, so you bought a lens. You missed one promotion, were early for two others. I am sure all of the promotions said "does not apply to past purchases."

I understand you want the best deal possible, and you'd like to see them accommodate you. But a promotion is to encourage NEW sales within a time frame, not let people who have already bought something cash in and get a "reward." I'm sure you understand that.

Basically, I feel your pain on missing a deal. But seriously, whining about it is pretty pathetic. You're not going to get a lot of sympathy on these forums.

Personally, I love Adorama. They ship as described, on time, at a good price. Not much more you can expect from a retailer. Unless you think you're special or something.

P.S. - you wanted them to honor a Black Friday deal on a prior purchase? Are you mental?

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

vargasjv
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 22, 2012 11:15 |  #10

gibbit1 wrote in post #15276166 (external link)
I'm not really getting what you're trying to say, either. Are you saying that you bought a lens for a certain price, then they had a promotion which lowered the price and wouldn't give you the difference? I guess we'd need more specifics to comment further.

Helen Oster is a member of this forum, and an Adorama rep. You might want to try contacting her.

I spoke to her...

let me try to simplify...

Wanted a 8-15L -
a. Adorama had a TWEET about a special, when i had the funds and went to the Adorama site it had passed (there was no dates on the TWEET) so i missed it, though they didn't clearly stat when it would be over.. OK - i understand..
b. A day later, I decided to order the lens anyway - so on 11/08 at 4pm i orderd the lens and paid part of it with my VISA @ 6:39pm they tweeted there would be a special if you ordered with your VISA (i sent an email that night, but i was not honored the VISA promotion)
c. Today - they had a deal that if you got the 8-15 it inluced a couple of things and a 3 year MACK warranty, so i called today to try to get honored for this deal and they said NO

vargasjv
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 22, 2012 11:16 |  #11

leroy_sunset wrote in post #15276194 (external link)
Wait, so you bought a lens. You missed one promotion, were early for two others. I am sure all of the promotions said "does not apply to past purchases."

I understand you want the best deal possible, and you'd like to see them accommodate you. But a promotion is to encourage NEW sales within a time frame, not let people who have already bought something cash in and get a "reward." I'm sure you understand that.

Basically, I feel your pain on missing a deal. But seriously, whining about it is pretty pathetic. You're not going to get a lot of sympathy on these forums.

Personally, I love Adorama. They ship as described, on time, at a good price. Not much more you can expect from a retailer. Unless you think you're special or something.

P.S. - you wanted them to honor a Black Friday deal on a prior purchase? Are you mental?

So thanks for calling me pathetic and mental... Nothing like name calling when i am sharing my personal experience on here....

Thanks for the support --- looking foward when i can do the same for you!

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 22, 2012 11:18 |  #12

vargasjv wrote in post #15276093 (external link)
They posted a promotion on Twitter and when i went to order (a few days later) it was already over. How would i know when they didn't give a date on Twitter

Well generally speaking if it's more than a day old on Twitter, it's old news. Many places announce promos on Twitter for only a few hours.

Joel

vargasjv
THREAD ­ STARTER
751 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 22, 2012 11:19 |  #13

joeblack2022 wrote in post #15276221 (external link)
Well generally speaking if it's more than a day old on Twitter, it's old news. Many places announce promos on Twitter for only a few hours.

Yes - you are right

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 22, 2012 11:27 |  #14

Understand your frustration but Adorama technically hasn't done anything wrong, it just seems like bad timing. I realize that most major retailers now have a price match guarantee or honour sale prices within a certain window.

But... is the lens you bought available at those stores?

Joel

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 22, 2012 11:31 |  #15

You buy from Adrorama\B&H for the good service. Good service can't come at the lowest price.
Buying things nowdays is like buying shares of stock - you pay one price, in an hour it will a different price.

sponsored links

2,585 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama ---
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.