Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 May 2006 (Friday) 03:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS2 - save...ICC?

Sher
42 posts
Joined May 2006

May 19, 2006 03:04 |  #1

When converting Raw to JPEG for web, does anyone check the "ICC Profile" box and save? I just realized the Jpeg has a less saturated look from the original. And for some reasons, I clicked on the ICC box and saved and realized the original colors perserved. Can anyone explain what it is and when should I use ICC? anything wrong using it?
I just start to shoot RAW today.. sorry if it's been asked before.. :oops:

edit - I uploaded two files with and without ICC to my site.. and they look the same. Did i do something wrong?

A7II, 5DII | Canon 17-40 | 24-105L | 50 f1.4 | 100-300L | Sony 28 f2 | Tamron 70-200 VC | 70-300 VC
A6000, 50D, 350D
shermansham.com (external link) - Photo Gallery & Landscape Prints on Smugmug

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,994 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 19, 2006 06:23 |  #2

Make sure your color profile is sRgb, and sure, embed the ICC profile, it can't hurt and it might help. Most programs assume sRgb anyway.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Lester ­ Wareham
28,297 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

May 19, 2006 07:39 |  #3

All web browser don't use colour management so the default is not to save the ICC to save file space. If you view this in a colour managed programme it will probably assume AdobeRGB rather than sRGB causing it to look desaturated.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 19, 2006 08:11 |  #4

second Tim: Safari on the Mac is the only color space aware browser. All others ignore ICC profiles, and just display the file. If the file is in Adobe RGB it will look flat then. Use sRGB, and embed the profile for the benefit of mac users ;)
Some info (external link)
Some examples (external link)
Just for fun (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

maderito
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Oct 2003

May 19, 2006 09:28 as a reply to  @ Lester Wareham's post |  #5

Lester Wareham wrote:
All web browser don't use colour management so the default is not to save the ICC to save file space. If you view this in a colour managed programme it will probably assume AdobeRGB rather than sRGB causing it to look desaturated.

A bit off topic, but actually:

1. an sRGB image viewed in Adobe RGB space looks more vivid
2. an Adobe RGB image viewed in sRGB space looks less vivid

Sorry to nit . . . it is true and somewhat counterintuitive.

#2 is the common mistake made when photogs edit images in PS and post them on the web without converting first to sRGB.

#1 leads to a simple technique for intensifying colors on sRGB images. Just assign the "wrong" profile - Adobe RGB - while viewing in a color managed environment.

Woody Lee
http://pbase.com/mader​ito (external link)
http://maderito.fotki.​com (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
28,297 posts
Gallery: 3246 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

May 19, 2006 09:31 as a reply to  @ maderito's post |  #6

maderito wrote:
A bit off topic, but actually:

1. an sRGB image viewed in Adobe RGB space looks more vivid
2. an Adobe RGB image viewed in sRGB space looks less vivid

Sorry to nit . . . it is true and somewhat counterintuitive.

#2 is the common mistake made when photogs edit images in PS and post them on the web without converting first to sRGB.

#1 leads to a simple technique for intensifying colors on sRGB images. Just assign the "wrong" profile - Adobe RGB - while viewing in a color managed environment.

Agreed, I thought #2 fitted the experienced symptoms of the OP re the reference to viewing AdobeRGB in an unmanaged browser?

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Sher
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined May 2006

May 19, 2006 15:31 as a reply to  @ Lester Wareham's post |  #7

Thanks all. But do you convert sRGB in the color settings in CS2?
When I click edit->color settings, my working spaces(RGB) is sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and the Color Management Policies are all set to Preserve Embedded Profile.
When I click edit->convert to profile, my Destination Space Profile is Working CMYK - U.S. Web coated (SWOP) v2.

Do i have to change anything to make the color right in the web? and what else do I have to change? :confused:
Btw, my camera setting is sRGB, not Adobe RGB.

A7II, 5DII | Canon 17-40 | 24-105L | 50 f1.4 | 100-300L | Sony 28 f2 | Tamron 70-200 VC | 70-300 VC
A6000, 50D, 350D

maderito
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Oct 2003

May 19, 2006 16:05 as a reply to  @ Sher's post |  #8

Sher wrote:
Thanks all. But do you convert sRGB in the color settings in CS2?
When I click edit->color settings, my working spaces(RGB) is sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and the Color Management Policies are all set to Preserve Embedded Profile.
When I click edit->convert to profile, my Destination Space Profile is Working CMYK - U.S. Web coated (SWOP) v2.

Do i have to change anything to make the color right in the web? and what else do I have to change? :confused:
Btw, my camera setting is sRGB, not Adobe RGB.

You don't have to do any conversions. Just print/display your images.

re: edit->convert to profile - working cmyk....
That just represents the default or most recent profile conversion you performed. There is a drop down list for other possible conversions. However, you don't need to make any conversions.

IF
your working color space had been Adobe RGB, then you would select sRGB from the drop down list. After conversion, the image wouldn't look any different within PS (since it is color managed and thus ICC profile aware) but would look different in a Windows web browser compared to a non-coverted image.

Woody Lee
http://pbase.com/mader​ito (external link)
http://maderito.fotki.​com (external link)

Sher
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined May 2006

May 19, 2006 16:48 as a reply to  @ maderito's post |  #9

Thanks. I converted it for the web and got the right colors I want! :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Before
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

After

A6000, 50D, 350D

sponsored links

965 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS2 - save...ICC?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.