Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 200mm 2.0 bag and ballhead

545iBMW
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 22, 2012 19:38 |  #1

In anticipation for my planned purchase of a 200L 2.0, what's a reasonably priced bag that can handle it with a gripped 5D3? I will be spending a ton of money for this lens and I don't plan on spending ton on a bag as this will only be used for casual use (I probably will be using this lens less than 5 times a year anyway).

Also, can a Markins Q3 handle the load of the above mentioned system? Thanks all!

sponsored links
jlt23
441 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 22, 2012 23:18 |  #2

I've been doing research and people seem to recommend the Think Tank Taxi Glass.

James

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 23, 2012 02:57 |  #3

I think the Kiboko 22L is a nice bag that can fit a few extra lenses and accessories but it might be more than you want to spend.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 23, 2012 17:21 as a reply to  @ cdang's post |  #4

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …3_LL300_II_Long​_Lens.html (external link)

Me... I use a slightly older version of this for the 300 2.8. Also when I use the 200 1.8 I'll stick it in there too (after removing the 300).

Really nice case.......

Mark H
PS: If you would, maybe you can explain to me why people would buy a $6000 lens and then put it in the cheapest piece of crap bag they can find. When I collected registered machineguns, guys would buy a $14,000 gun and then put low quality corrosive ammo through it. Go figure..... I'm assuming you aren't one of them.....

Too Much Camera Stuff......

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 23, 2012 17:37 |  #5

I used my Kinesis long lens bag. Loved it. Sold the lens when I realized it wasn't worth the money or weight in light of the then new 70-200.

545iBMW
THREAD ­ STARTER
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 25, 2012 03:04 |  #6

P51Mstg wrote in post #15280759 (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …3_LL300_II_Long​_Lens.html (external link)

Me... I use a slightly older version of this for the 300 2.8. Also when I use the 200 1.8 I'll stick it in there too (after removing the 300).

Really nice case.......

Mark H
PS: If you would, maybe you can explain to me why people would buy a $6000 lens and then put it in the cheapest piece of crap bag they can find. When I collected registered machineguns, guys would buy a $14,000 gun and then put low quality corrosive ammo through it. Go figure..... I'm assuming you aren't one of them.....

$150 is pretty reasonable. With regards to your question, I'm not willing to spend $400 for a bag no matter how good it is. $150 is just about right for what I need for. I already have so many bags and I will never, ever buy a bag that costs a fortune. Most of these bags are made in China and they are probably spending $20-30 to manufacture these.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 25, 2012 08:22 as a reply to  @ 545iBMW's post |  #7

I have to agree, I don't see the $400 for a bag. It amazes me that (I think it was Think Tank but I don't see it on their site) made a $500 soft bag for lightstands etc that was the size of a footlocker. On the other side there was a Pelican case that was the same size and cost about 1/2 as much (I'm sure it weighed as much as a truck too).....

On the other end, decent bags are useful and last until you are sick of them. I'm had most of my bags 4 or 5 years and will be using them for a few more. On the other end, laptop bags are marked up horribly and I bought a $21 one from China on eBay, functioned about 2 years before it started coming apart. Same one Walmart sells for $50, so I bought another one (from China) and when its worn out, time for a new laptop. The grandkids usually don't need the computer bag.....

BTW I've also found if you are not in a hurry, the for sale forum here or eBay works wonders. Amazing how many people buy bags and never really use them and then sell them for 1/2 or more off to get another bag they aren't going to use either.....

Best wishes and enjoy the 200 2.0. I've got the 200 1.8 and for those who think that ANYTHING can come close, they are mistaken. Super lens...

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

545iBMW
THREAD ­ STARTER
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 25, 2012 14:49 |  #8

P51Mstg wrote in post #15286329 (external link)
I have to agree, I don't see the $400 for a bag. It amazes me that (I think it was Think Tank but I don't see it on their site) made a $500 soft bag for lightstands etc that was the size of a footlocker. On the other side there was a Pelican case that was the same size and cost about 1/2 as much (I'm sure it weighed as much as a truck too).....

On the other end, decent bags are useful and last until you are sick of them. I'm had most of my bags 4 or 5 years and will be using them for a few more. On the other end, laptop bags are marked up horribly and I bought a $21 one from China on eBay, functioned about 2 years before it started coming apart. Same one Walmart sells for $50, so I bought another one (from China) and when its worn out, time for a new laptop. The grandkids usually don't need the computer bag.....

BTW I've also found if you are not in a hurry, the for sale forum here or eBay works wonders. Amazing how many people buy bags and never really use them and then sell them for 1/2 or more off to get another bag they aren't going to use either.....

Best wishes and enjoy the 200 2.0. I've got the 200 1.8 and for those who think that ANYTHING can come close, they are mistaken. Super lens...

Mark H

Thanks Mark. I was considering the 200 1.8 and there's a couple on ebay right now but since I shoot families/friends mostly indoors, I would prefer something with IS...

There was a 2.0 posted on FM today and it was reasonably priced at $4750. I was ready to bite but the date code is part of the affected units that need fixing.

Time to wait.

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 25, 2012 18:32 |  #9

As mentioned earlier the Think Tank Glass Taxi (external link) would also be a good option to consider.

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 25, 2012 18:39 |  #10

545iBMW wrote in post #15287648 (external link)
Thanks Mark. I was considering the 200 1.8 and there's a couple on ebay right now but since I shoot families/friends mostly indoors, I would prefer something with IS...

There was a 2.0 posted on FM today and it was reasonably priced at $4750. I was ready to bite but the date code is part of the affected units that need fixing.

Time to wait.

Would you mind expanding on your statement above. Where can I get info on the affected units that need fixing?

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 25, 2012 18:54 |  #11

MDJAK wrote in post #15288527 (external link)
Would you mind expanding on your statement above. Where can I get info on the affected units that need fixing?

When paired with a 5D3 some units had excessive IS noise. See Canon's advisory below
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …80532d6b&WT.mc_​id=C126149 (external link)

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,718 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 25, 2012 18:57 |  #12

Thank you.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 25, 2012 19:27 |  #13

LPMM wrote in post #15288596 (external link)
When paired with a 5D3 some units had excessive IS noise. See Canon's advisory below
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …80532d6b&WT.mc_​id=C126149 (external link)

Are there any 200's that don't need the fix for the 5D III? I don't think I have ever seen one where the fifth/sixth digits aren't 00, 01, or 02. Maybe the newest of the new I suppose.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

545iBMW
THREAD ­ STARTER
473 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 25, 2012 20:09 |  #14

rdalrt wrote in post #15288711 (external link)
Are there any 200's that don't need the fix for the 5D III? I don't think I have ever seen one where the fifth/sixth digits aren't 00, 01, or 02. Maybe the newest of the new I suppose.

I was wondering the same thing too.
Cheapest I've seen for BN 200 2.0 is $5,699. If I don't find one by end of this year, I will just buy a new one.

uljens
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 27, 2012 04:20 |  #15

LPMM wrote in post #15288486 (external link)
As mentioned earlier the Think Tank Glass Taxi (external link) would also be a good option to consider.

+ fits 1DsII + 200mm f/1.8 with hood on ready to shoot

Uldis | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

2,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 200mm 2.0 bag and ballhead
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.