Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 27 Aug 2008 (Wednesday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Woo hoo Alamy!

Bill ­ Ragosta
323 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 14, 2012 17:16 |  #1036

dr_skn08 wrote in post #14851314 (external link)
Got my 2nd sale for gross 110 $ with around 340 pix

Good for you. I'm curious how long you've had those 340 images up. I've only been a member for a bit more than a month and I now have 140 images, still waiting for my first sale. Also, if you wouldn't mind saying, how many views and zooms would you expect in a month's time wtih those 340 images? What percentage of zooms have ended in sales for you? Sorry for the questions but I'm just getting started and don't really know what to expect. Now, obviously, maybe my images aren't as good as the average image on Alamy and my percentages will be low. On the other hand, maybe they're better and they'll be higher than the average.

Admittedly, it's such a small sample that it's hardly worth noting but presently my CTR is something like 3.85. I know, I know, I've only been on a month and 1 or 2 zooms will do wonders for your CTR at that point.

Canon 60D, Canon 30D with grip, EF 70-300 IS USM, Tokina AT-X Pro 100 f/2.8 macro, EF 100-400 1:4.5-5.6L, EF-S 15-85 IS USM, Sigma 50 f2.8 macro EX, 430 EX II

sponsored links
dr_skn08
30 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 14, 2012 22:14 |  #1037

Bill Ragosta wrote in post #14858785 (external link)
Good for you. I'm curious how long you've had those 340 images up. I've only been a member for a bit more than a month and I now have 140 images, still waiting for my first sale. Also, if you wouldn't mind saying, how many views and zooms would you expect in a month's time wtih those 340 images? What percentage of zooms have ended in sales for you? Sorry for the questions but I'm just getting started and don't really know what to expect. Now, obviously, maybe my images aren't as good as the average image on Alamy and my percentages will be low. On the other hand, maybe they're better and they'll be higher than the average.

Admittedly, it's such a small sample that it's hardly worth noting but presently my CTR is something like 3.85. I know, I know, I've only been on a month and 1 or 2 zooms will do wonders for your CTR at that point.

There is no hard & fast rule there.. everyone's experience is diff from others. But is famous for alamy that you get 1sale/1000 images/month if i remember correctly. I joined alamy in nov 2011 but started uploading images activelyfrom march-april. But i notice like others that the pix i have submitted to micro and alamy, dont get zoom or sale.. if anyone is zoomed, has been sold from my micro outlets withing1-2 days, so have left uploading to micro..just keep uploading but avoid many similars.

My Site (external link)

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 14, 2012 23:17 |  #1038

Anyone willing to post links to the alamy images that they have sold?

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 15, 2012 03:01 |  #1039

I have sold two pictures and until recently had about 180 images on Alamy but have tried to have a bit of a drive recently. I introduced a friend at work to Alamy who is getting fairly regular sales but he does have over a thousand images.

When I sold the picture of the mink I did have another sale of a different picture on a micro stock site so I am having a dilema re whether to close my mircro sttock accounts but at the moment I have earnt more from Shutterstock than Alamy. I put a lot less on shutterstock as well.

http://www.alamy.com …&a=-1&archive=1&size=0xFF (external link)

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

dr_skn08
30 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 15, 2012 03:44 |  #1040

adrian5127 wrote in post #14860567 (external link)
I have sold two pictures and until recently had about 180 images on Alamy but have tried to have a bit of a drive recently. I introduced a friend at work to Alamy who is getting fairly regular sales but he does have over a thousand images.

When I sold the picture of the mink I did have another sale of a different picture on a micro stock site so I am having a dilema re whether to close my mircro sttock accounts but at the moment I have earnt more from Shutterstock than Alamy. I put a lot less on shutterstock as well.

How much did you earn Adrian from these 2 sales ? do you sell through smugmug ? as i am also planning to show my port from smugmug or photoshelter...

My Site (external link)

gary88
Goldmember
4,010 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 15, 2012 13:47 |  #1041

I got another sale a couple of weeks ago. Slowly building my portfolio, at 262 images right now.

www.garyhebdingjr.com (external link)|Flickr  (external link)IGear List|Alamy | (external link)Instagram: @garyhebding

dr_skn08
30 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 15, 2012 13:49 |  #1042

Would be better to know price as well

My Site (external link)

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 21, 2012 11:22 |  #1043

One was $78 and the other $70 so not a fortune but better than 25 cents;)

Re smugmug I only use the for sale bit for my wedding pictures which are for the clients and whoever they share the password with.

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

dr_skn08
30 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 21, 2012 11:53 |  #1044

adrian5127 wrote in post #14887090 (external link)
One was $78 and the other $70 so not a fortune but better than 25 cents;)

Re smugmug I only use the for sale bit for my wedding pictures which are for the clients and whoever they share the password with.

Thanks for telling Adrian. I have a doubt about selling alamy images there. I read many forums but did not get satisfactory info. Can you throw light here or any link to some informative threads ?
Anyways Howz selling in smugmug these days ?

My Site (external link)

dr_skn08
30 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 02, 2012 10:46 |  #1045

Ok My BME in Alamy. 5 sales for about 380 USD in August with total images about 365 :)

My Site (external link)

JEDprime
253 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 02, 2012 11:59 |  #1046

http://www.alexa.com/s​iteinfo/alamy.com (external link)
Compare alamy webstats against istockphoto.com and shutterstock.com. The microstock sites have WAY more traffic than alamy. So where does one go fishing? Yes, microstock devalues photographers work... but the damage is done. The market is forever changed. We now have the Walmarts of photography pulling away the sheep consumers from paying what was once a fair value for a photo.
Is sitting waiting for months or years for a $200 sale to happen at Alamy better than a steady stream of dollars or quarters? At least getting small regular sales gets more views and earns a reputation.
I went with Alamy and am thinking of going Micro now. Go where the fish are.

Music and Photography
http://www.jasonedward​dudley.com/ (external link)
http://www.alamy.com …D07/1/Jason%20D​udley.html (external link)

dr_skn08
30 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 02, 2012 12:56 |  #1047

I think it depends on the type of photography as well. My photography seems more suitable for alamy customers. Other than that i am selling those images in alamy which were rejected from all micro. I started selling my images from micro and alamy from dec 2011 but after few days i started focusing on micro and i had a lot hope from ss as i heard from others, so i gave my concentration to pass ss test. Finally i cleared their tests in 2nd attempt and what.. started selling a lot pix for pennies. I had no prob if i could pull 100-300 USD from all micro outlets. But i hardly could pull 200 USD from all micro in these 6-8 months of efforts. Then their requirements are a lot. Each one has own selection criteria. ss accept all my images with no shadow, no grains, let the images appear unreal and IS is just opposite. i had to set images differently for SS and IS and also keywords.
Then i started paying attention to alamy from feb march and now i have earned more from alamy than all micro.
alexa ranking...? It does not matter for me atleast as alamy is doing "much" better for me despite lower traffic. Anyways i dont care much about earning as selling images is not my primary source of income, what imp is... i'm doing quite well with alamy with lesser work and hassle. How ever i wont mind changing my priorities if i see my efforts are not fruitful as expected somewhere. I admit micro taught me so much about good photography but gradually i started feeling that i am loosing my creativity in photography producing images for micro. lol

My Site (external link)

binliner
711 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 02, 2012 14:23 |  #1048

JEDprime wrote in post #14938157 (external link)
http://www.alexa.com/s​iteinfo/alamy.com (external link)
Compare alamy webstats against istockphoto.com and shutterstock.com. The microstock sites have WAY more traffic than alamy. So where does one go fishing? Yes, microstock devalues photographers work... but the damage is done. The market is forever changed. We now have the Walmarts of photography pulling away the sheep consumers from paying what was once a fair value for a photo.
Is sitting waiting for months or years for a $200 sale to happen at Alamy better than a steady stream of dollars or quarters? At least getting small regular sales gets more views and earns a reputation.
I went with Alamy and am thinking of going Micro now. Go where the fish are.

I tried both for a year and then quit microstock for Alamy (and now Getty Flickr as well)... you're right, Microstock gets a lot more sales but each sale is worth pennies, I was getting 10 times more sales on iStock than Alamy but making ten times more money on Alamy

Justin
website (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link) | blog (external link)
5D II | 7D | G1-X | 17-40mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f4 | 300mm f4 | 1.4x II | Lee filters

BioSci
412 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 23, 2012 10:30 as a reply to  @ binliner's post |  #1049

Woo hoo Alamy! I just got my first sale. I've put up only 110 images on Alamy, out of the ~20,000 images I've taken in the last 12 months. Maybe I should upload more.

The image that sold was C7X6W4, showing the back end of a Labor Day parade as it marched past into the center downtown area of a small New England city. I have no idea why it sold, since it's not particularly interesting in my opinion, but somebody liked it - here's the sales info:

Usage: Editorial
Media: Textbook - print and e-book
Print run: up to 3 million
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 27 February 2012
End: 27 February 2022

My share of the royalties is $186. Not enough to buy any new gear, but enough to say Woo hoo Alamy!

EOS R | 7D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 17-55 f/2.8 | 11-16 f/2.8

Tyo Photography (external link)

ChrisRabior
THREAD ­ STARTER
826 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 05, 2013 18:46 |  #1050

Any time I have an image sale, I always try to look around online to see if I can figure out who actually used it. Most often, those efforts are not successful. 12/31 sale, found it in use this evening.. though I must say I'm a bit miffed that the publication date says 12/06/2012 and the sale occurred 12/31/2012.

B15YEK
Rights Managed Country: United States
Usage: Editorial
Media: Editorial website
Placement: Secondary screen
Image Size: up to 1/4 screen
Start: 01 December 2012
End: 01 December 2013

http://www.huffingtonp​ost.com …rena-in-de_n_2249705.html (external link)

My Gear | My Alamy (external link) | My Website (external link) | MMA Photography (external link)

sponsored links

161,700 views & 0 likes for this thread
Woo hoo Alamy!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.