Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 13:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Light meter to take sunset sky exposure.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2012 21:24 |  #31

A shot from last yr. No gel of any kind. Almost straight from camera.

IMAGE: http://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/s3/v26/p192687855-5.jpg

Settings, ISO125, f2.8, 1/80. 3 stop filter to blur bg. Doesn't this look like 50% or close to it flash to ambient ratio?

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 23, 2012 22:24 |  #32

I am not exactly sure what everyone is arguing about but it seems to be about whether to gel or not to gel your key light. I am both a photographer and a color grader. So I see both sides of the problem.

1. Photographers want to produce as balanced of an image as possible on set.
2. Colorists want to receive as neutral and bright an image as possible.

If you are truly a great photographer and can match your gel with your ambient lighting perfectly then go for it. However, from what I have received, only the best of the best photographers can do this. The rest mess it up royally. It's easy for me to add the warmth into your subject that was lit bare with daylight flash against a 3500k sunset. It's hard for me to match the balance of a 1/4 CTO when it should have been a 1/2 CTS (or any combination of).

As a photographer and colorist, I would shoot it neutral (without gels) and fix it in post. Get the levels right and worry about the color later. If in doubt, shoot it bright not dark.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,288 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 24, 2012 20:42 |  #33

Wilt wrote in post #15281380 (external link)
Unfortunately I had a brain f*rt and neglected to set ISO 1600 on the flash, the 45CL was left set on ISO 200, so the bunny was horridly overexposed. I reduced overall exposure in all shots by -1.5EV during postprocessing (putting the sky at -2.5EV compared to what was metered by the camera on Spot), to sort of recover the toy bunny exposure. Exposure 3 looks OK (still hot and overexposed) and the twilight sky is not any less warm compared to the bunny (if I hadn't been in a rush, I should have left more of the orange not obscured by the toy bunny!), Exposure 4 has funny tinges of blue (probably because I blew out a channel). I should simply reshoot tomorrow if the weather cooperates and repost!

OK, time to redeem myself for my brain f*rt yesterday. I reshot, this time remembering to set same ISO on the flash as on the camera...ISO 100. Unfortunately, at 5:45pm there was not a lot of warmth showing in the color of the sky; the sun was close to ducking behind the nearby coastal mountains (not setting, per se), at about 30 degrees to camera right. I set LR to 5600K for WB.
Today I set both EC -1 and FEC -1. Ambient-only lighting is shown in the first shot; the difference between the 40D Spot mode sky exposure 1/125 f/5.6 and the incident ambient light exposure 1/3 sec. f/5.6, was a difference of -5EV. The second shot is with flash in Auto mode with a 1/4 CTO gel, the third shot is with same flash but without any gel.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/sunsetflashwarmth.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,579 views & 0 likes for this thread
Light meter to take sunset sky exposure.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.