Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 19 Nov 2012 (Monday) 23:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Iguaçu Falls in Brasil/Argentina

philmar
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 19, 2012 23:55 |  #1

I will soon be in Buenos Aires, Argentina for 17 days in December and would like to do some small excursions while there. I plan to fly to Iguaçu Falls and back, from Buenos Aires. I plan to spend 4 days there. I plan to see the falls from both sides.
Do you have any helpful hints? Is the light best early morning? From what i see on google earth it appears east/south facing. But it's difficult to tell.
From what I've read the accommodation is far from the falls requiring a bus/taxi ride - or any expensive stay at the Sheraton.
If I stay on the Argentinian side what is the earliest I can make it to the Brazilian side in the morning taking in to account public transit and the border crossing? As a photographer I value the early morning light so I might decide to spend a night on the Brazilian side if I can't get there early enough.
Similarly if I am on the Brazilian side until evening are there any difficulties in getting return transportation to the Argentinian side? Are the taxistas there fond of overcharging tourists?
Also any advice on water fall photography is appreciated - NDG, tripod....mosquito net - LOL?
I plan on a side trip to Colonia de Sacremento, Uruguay for a couple days. Any other photo rich sites nearby Buenos Aires I could go for a day trip?
I've been to Ushuaia, Calafate and El Chalten before. I'd love to go in to Salta and Juyjuy province but that looks like it will have to be a separate trip unless Salta and environs can be done in a meaningful 3 day stay.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)
or follow me: https://www.instagram.​com/instaphilmarion/ (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 20, 2012 21:56 |  #2

Iguazu is not a "small excursion", it is a two hour flight from Buenos Aires. What is convenient, though, is that you will fly from a local airport right in the city. We decided not to stay in that Sheraton - too expensive. We stayed in town of Iguazu, less than 30 min from the national park. If I am not mistaken, you have to be in a group to enter the park, but not sure now, it was eight years ago. So the small van picked us up early in the morning and dropped off at the entrance to the park.

The falls are impressive. Very impressive. But outside of the falls, there is not much to do in the town. Prepare to get bored in the evenings, after sunset.

philmar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 21, 2012 06:45 |  #3

The Brazil side city is bigger and livelier.
Sheraton seems ideally located but overpriced. Is it possible to take taxi in the morning to the park.

Did you photograph it from both sides?

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)
or follow me: https://www.instagram.​com/instaphilmarion/ (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 21, 2012 11:12 |  #4

philmar wrote in post #15271616 (external link)
Did you photograph it from both sides?

No, for many reasons we were only on the Argentinean side. One reason was that the Americans required a Brazilian entry visa, which we did not have. We did not have much time - a day to travel to Iguazu, a day at the falls, and had to go back to Buenos Aires the following day. Plus I got food poisoning there in one of the local restaurant... :-(

Still, great memory!

Narwhal
Goldmember
1,041 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 24, 2012 04:19 |  #5

The Hotel Cataratas on the Brazilian side is located inside the park. See link.

http://www.hoteldascat​aratas.com …l_das_cataratas​.jsp?hll=1 (external link)

we stayed their many years ago when it belonged to the defunct Varig Airlines. It is super convenient for the the Brazilan side of the falls. You can walk every where. Access to the Argentinian side is easy. Now there is a bridge. Back in the day we had to take a ferry.

You must see the falls from both sides because the view and general feeling is completelu different.

JIM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
Iguaçu Falls in Brasil/Argentina
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.