Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Nov 2012 (Friday) 19:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sudden strange behavior

LARAB
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 23, 2012 19:02 |  #1

I'm suddenly getting some really strange behavior from my T1i...

As far as I can recall, here's how it happened;

I removed the battery grip, re-installed the battery door, messed around with some jpeg preview options, bought a 40mm pancake, shot a few (25 maybe) frames, came home, re-installed the grip, shot a few more frames, and finally removed the card and trasnferred files to LR. The preview files in LR (before import) look exactly like they do on the LCD screen (in camera) before I import. However, once I hit import- the jpeg previews convert to monochrome and are really dark. Auto tone in LR makes them look like they did on the camera LCD, but I still have to open the Develop Module and click "color" to change the files... The other strange thing- the files display smaller in LR than any other file I've ever imported (physically, there is a large gray border around the images).

I always shoot RAW, the picture style is Neutral. What the heck is happening?? I am now spooked enough that I don't want to put the new 40mm on my 7d.

A quick check of the manual says the internal battery is not user serviceable, so no hard reset. Anyone out there have any suggestions? I'm scratching my head on this one...

Thanks, Brian

Edited to add: I tried several cards, all of my lenses. I'm thinking it has to do with removing the grip, it had been on there for at least two years.

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,716 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 24, 2012 08:18 |  #2

I can't see any reason why the removal of a grip would suddenly result in monochrome images but if you've explored all the settings that control this I would attempt to do a hard reset.

There is a procedure on page 136 of the manual to reset the camera back to factory defaults. I would remove the grip and then do a factory reset and start from scratch.

The other way to do a factory reset is to remove the main LP-E5 battery, then turn the power switch to ON, hold down the shutter button for about 30 seconds, then turn the power switch back to OFF. This operation bleeds off the voltage on the internal circuitry. Then reinstall the main battery. When you power back up, if the hard reset was successful, you will have to reset the date/time, language etc.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,654 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Nov 24, 2012 09:22 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #3

This sounds more like a Lightroom problem than a camera problem to me...I know nothing about Lightroom but maybe there's an import setting that has gotten accidentally set to monochrome?

If you can, try importing the photos into DPP, which preserves the chosen picture style, and see if they import as monochrome.

Mark

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 24, 2012 09:40 |  #4

Try a different program. That sounds like some sort of LR preset being applied on import. Since the native images look fine before import.

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 24, 2012 10:36 |  #5

If the images look good on the camera, you've got something going on in your SW on the computer.

LARAB
THREAD ­ STARTER
73 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 24, 2012 11:02 |  #6

Solved- at some point I must have hit the ALT key and changed the camera default. I went back in my catalog to a file that imported correctly, hit the ALT key and clicked "set default." Phew. That was fun...

As an aside, I absolutely love the 40mm pancake.

Thanks for the replies.

-Brian

SamHenry
63 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 24, 2012 11:26 |  #7

I was going to say you probably set an import function by accident. LR is finicky like that sometimes. Glad you got it figured out

5DmkII
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/supercrossbmxer​/ (external link)
SamHenryPhotography.co​m (external link)

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2012 12:05 |  #8

I would leave the card in camera, use EOS util to import, and check the photo with DPP.
If problem at this stage. Then reset camera and reshoot and retest.

7D, 5Dii, 5Diii, 70-300L, 24-105L 70-200Lii, 135L, 85, Tammy 150-600, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ105 Macro, Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, Σ1.4x, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 24, 2012 13:21 |  #9

Zigot wrote in post #15283372 (external link)
I would leave the card in camera, use EOS util to import, and check the photo with DPP.
If problem at this stage. Then reset camera and reshoot and retest.

I think if you read the above posts you'll see the problem was with software.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links

1,217 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sudden strange behavior
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.