Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 24 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Unauthorized Dealer / Grey Market - Warranty Poll

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2012 22:33 |  #1

There's been a lot of discussion lately on whether or not purchases at "unauthorized dealers" or "grey market items" qualify for Canon USA warranty service. Many forum members are reporting that Canon honors the warranty on unauthorized dealer purchases. I've created a poll so the Canon community can understand what the reality is.

If you have sent an "unauthorized dealer" or "grey market" item in for Canon USA warranty service, I would appreciate if you could fill out the two minute poll here:

http://www.canonpricew​atch.com/warranty-poll/ (external link)

Once we have enough responses, I'll summarize and publish the results, and we'll finally know the real answer. :) Please help get the word out on this poll!

Update: December 9th - Poll Results

The results of our warranty poll! We received 27 responses covering all three Canon US repair centers.

US Model Cameras and Lenses bought from unauthorized dealers are eligible for warranty repair service. We had no reported incidents of US items from unauthorized dealers being rejected for service. Specifically, we found that the only thing that Canon required for warranty service was a receipt or bill of sale, from a dealer -- authorized or unauthorized, it did not matter. No completed warranty card was ever asked for.

Please note that this is just our data and observations as of December 2012, and the official policy of Canon Inc. may be subject to change, but for now we believe that US model items are eligible for warranty service, regardless of dealer status. We have changed the marking on these dealers as "Canon USA Warranty" in our listings.

How about import / grey market? Sadly, we didn't receive enough responses from individuals trying to get warranty service on true grey market / import items. Remember, what we call "grey market" here are the "import versions" sold by the major camera stores, or from overseas sellers. So this question is still unanswered.

I'm leaving the survey open so if you have further observations or experiences feel free to submit them using the link above. It will remain open so we can stay updated on this issue, and maybe answer the grey market question.

sponsored links
pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 24, 2012 22:45 |  #2

Nice idea. Looking forward to the results

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

bsp
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 24, 2012 22:51 |  #3

^Me too

Brian
Gear & Feedback

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,733 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 24, 2012 22:54 |  #4

PhotoPrice wrote in post #15285379 (external link)
If you have sent an "unauthorized dealer" or "grey market" item in for Canon USA warranty service, I would appreciate if you could fill out the two minute poll here:

"un" Authorized Dealer is NOT THE SAME as Gray Market....

there are USA market items and there are NON-USA market items...

if there is a USA Warranty, it is USA Market...

if there is NO USA Warranty, it is Gray Market...

simple as that. it matters NOT ONE BIT whether the item was sold through an "Authorized Dealer" or not...

ANY USA Warranty item will be covered under the normal warranty period. NON-USA Warranty items may or may not be covered by Canon. THAT is entirely up to them i suppose...

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,733 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 24, 2012 22:58 |  #5

PhotoPrice wrote in post #15285379 (external link)

"un" Authorized Dealer is NOT THE SAME as Gray Market....

there are USA market items and there are NON-USA market items...

if there is a USA Warranty, it is USA Market...

if there is NO USA Warranty, it is Gray Market...

simple as that. it matters NOT ONE BIT whether the item was sold through an "Authorized Dealer" or not...

ANY USA Warranty item will be covered under the normal warranty period. NON-USA Warranty items may or may not be covered by Canon. THAT is entirely up to them i suppose...

oh jeez... i just went to the 'poll' and read what they had posted. EXACTLY what i have been saying for the last 3 threads on this topic....

PhotoPrice
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2012 23:05 |  #6

Ltdave wrote in post #15285451 (external link)
"un" Authorized Dealer is NOT THE SAME as Gray Market...

Just to be clear, I'm not saying unauthorized dealer is the same as grey market.

But I have heard reports that in both cases you still get warranty service, so the poll covers both.

starkyrulz
561 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 24, 2012 23:21 |  #7

1. canon and any other manufacturer usually insist on proof of sale to ensure that warranty and service for 1/n yrs is valid - after that standard fare for most cameras bought off stores/online/any other channel.
2. the serial number is traceable to lots - you can buy a camera off a authorized/non-authorized dealer and still avail warranty but there is a catch - canon and other manufacturers/distribu​ters often unload bodies to so called un-authorized dealers and buying from them, a buyer can avail standard warranty. Sometimes though from the manufacturing cycle/some where in the supply & distribution chain some lots of bodies can go missing and turn up an grey market auction sites which can be offered by so called grey market channels for less - this is where Canon or any other manufacturer does not offer warranty. A simple serial check can confirm that.

Also on a wider circle sometimes bodies from EU/Asia do not get warranty here in the US and vice versa - for e.g. back in India, a US bought Xbox does not get service (sometime a little of persuasion helps though).

Last but not the lest it all depends on the your luck and whether the service contact point follows procedure or not. hope it helps.

| 5D Mark III | T3i | 24-70 f2.8 MK II L | 70-200 f2.8 IS mk II L | 18-200 f3.5-5.6 | Σ 30mm f1.4 | 50 f1.8 | 430exII | YongnouYN560 | YongnouRF603 | Vangaurd 263AT |

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/suprateep/ (external link)
http://500px.com/stark​yrulz (external link)

PhotoPrice
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2012 23:25 |  #8

There is an awful lot of "speculation" about what Canon does or does not do, and not much solid data. I think we need to be careful to separate what we "think" Canon does, vs. what people's actual experience is.

All I'm hoping for is to get some real stories from people who submitted unauthorized dealer items for warranty service, and a yes or no answer on if Canon honored the warranty or not.

Thanks for the early interest, and I hope to report back soon :)

gpswiz
671 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 24, 2012 23:26 |  #9

What is a grey market camera anyway?

Body - 5DIII, 50D
Souls - 85L f/1.2, 24-70L, 24-104L f/4.0, 70-200L IS f/2.8, 100mm Macro, MP-E 65mm, 18-200mm IS, nifty 50
Companions - 580EX ii, MT-24EX, BG-E2N, Gitzo G1564L monopod, , Gitzon GT3541, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4, This hobby is getting too expensive....

PhotoPrice
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 24, 2012 23:30 |  #10

gpswiz wrote in post #15285512 (external link)
What is a grey market camera anyway?

One that was originally intended to be sold in a different market, and not imported by Canon USA. Also known as a "parallel import".

One obvious case would be someone selling a "EOS 650D" (which is the non-North American name for the T4i). Other cameras (like the 5D3) have the same name in all markets, but if anyone but Canon USA imports it, it is grey market in the US.

You can read a detailed description at the bottom of the poll page.

gpswiz
671 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 24, 2012 23:36 |  #11

PhotoPrice wrote in post #15285525 (external link)
One that was originally intended to be sold in a different market, and not imported by Canon USA. Also known as a "parallel import".

One obvious case would be someone selling a "EOS 650D" (which is the non-North American name for the T4i). Other cameras (like the 5D3) have the same name in all markets, but if anyone but Canon USA imports it, it is grey market in the US.

You can read a detailed description at the bottom of the poll page.

Thanks for your explanation.

Body - 5DIII, 50D
Souls - 85L f/1.2, 24-70L, 24-104L f/4.0, 70-200L IS f/2.8, 100mm Macro, MP-E 65mm, 18-200mm IS, nifty 50
Companions - 580EX ii, MT-24EX, BG-E2N, Gitzo G1564L monopod, , Gitzon GT3541, Manfrotto 055CXPRO4, This hobby is getting too expensive....

PhotoPrice
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 27, 2012 08:18 |  #12

I've gotten a few responses, but certainly not enough to draw a conclusion on this.

Anyone else out there with experience sending in unauthorized or grey market items for warranty?

SpiltPickle
766 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2012 10:50 |  #13

Unfortunately the only grey market item I bought never needed warranty work :)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 27, 2012 13:12 |  #14

Why didnt you just create the poll here in this thread?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

bsp
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 27, 2012 19:39 |  #15

ben_r_ wrote in post #15295999 (external link)
Why didnt you just create the poll here in this thread?

It looks more like a questionnaire so that in the end we can see trending patterns not just a 'yes' or 'no' type poll.

BTW ben_r, the tripod leg protectors worked great on my setup this summer in the lake! Thanks a lot!

Brian
Gear & Feedback

sponsored links

4,650 views & 0 likes for this thread
Unauthorized Dealer / Grey Market - Warranty Poll
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.