Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Nov 2012 (Monday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom and ProDPI

jeljohns
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 26, 2012 14:37 |  #1

I just sent in my test prints to ProDPI and I got an email from CS saying the resolution ws only 240 and wasn't fit to print. All their instructions says photoshop 300 dpi, but I use Lightoom. When I asked them how to export from LR at 300dpi, they said they have no supported documents on LR. I tend to use LR for most everything because I find everything in photoshop time consuming and cumbersome. How do I export my images at a high quality and 300 dpi (I'm working with RAW files) from LR?

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 26, 2012 14:39 |  #2

Change your DPI in the Export Dialogue.

It's just to the right of where you set the dimensions.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 26, 2012 15:52 |  #3

Was the real resolution 240 ppi or was that only the ppi tag? The difference is that the tag can be any number you want it to be, you simply type it into the box as Jay said. The real ppi is the number of pixels on a side of the image divided by the number of inches of paper on that side in the print you want. So what pixel dimensions did you send and what size print did you order?

I would seriously suggest that you look for another printer. If the real ppi was 240, any reputable lab would easily resample that to 300 ppi and if that was only the tag, that would constitute ample evidence of their incompetence.

Elie / אלי

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 26, 2012 16:33 |  #4

All I do is export the photos....so I'm not sure. It was an 8x10. The lab is prodpi which is supposed to be top notch.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 26, 2012 23:26 |  #5

They may be top-notch at prints, but they show two levels of ignorance about the ppi (often interchanged with "dpi" when it comes to image exif.

They have the notion that an image with a resolution of 240 ppi will yield a bad print, but that just isn't so.

And then because Lightroom by default is assigning a "tag" of 240 ppi, they believe that it will be automatically applied to a print, and that isn't so.

That level of misunderstanding dates back to the pre-digital days, translating a hodge-podge of information. If your pics have a resolution of 1600 pixels x 2000 pixels (200 ppi) or larger then they are capable of producing great 8x10 prints. A "modern" digital printer can handle them no matter what the ppi "value" in the exif says.

If you are serious about using these guys, well, sure, in the LR Export dialog, resize to 8x10 and set the ppi to 300 or alternatively resize to 300 ppi, which would be 2400x3000 pixels, and set the "tag" to 300 ppi to satisfy the printers.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 27, 2012 00:58 |  #6

jeljohns wrote in post #15292338 (external link)
All I do is export the photos....so I'm not sure. It was an 8x10. The lab is prodpi which is supposed to be top notch.

What camera? Was the image cropped? Any DSLR later than the 30D/350D would provide an uncropped image with more than enough pixels for a 300 ppi 8x10. Do you have a manual? It will tell you what your image size is and a few other interesting facts about your camera.

Elie / אלי

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 27, 2012 06:50 as a reply to  @ tzalman's post |  #7

5dmkII

The lab sent me a digital file that showed enlargement and it was indeed pixelated and crappy, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on my end.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 27, 2012 06:57 as a reply to  @ jeljohns's post |  #8

Depends what you did when you "exported" the image. If you simply sent them the full unmodified 5DII file, As Elie says they are talking nonsense at the lab. But if you have inadvertantly resampled (maybe the word should be "desample") the whole image to 8 x 10 at 240 ppi, then its your fault and you need to rethink what you are doing.

Seperate the image sizing from the ppi adjustment. Unless you cropped massively, a 5DII file will easily do an 8 x 10 at waaaay over 300ppi. So even if the ppi and image sizing dialogue are in the same drop down box, just think of the size first and the ppi second (if you really need to touch it, which I doubt).

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 27, 2012 07:05 |  #9

I think I'd have to look close to see the difference between 240ppi and 300ppi on an 8x10 print. Let alone call it "crappy".

Also check the jpg quality setting.

Send sRGB jpgs. 8x10" at 300ppi, (which equals to 2400x3000 pixels) quality somewhere in about 85 or higher.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 29, 2012 18:12 |  #10

Ok, now I am bit confused. I only make one file of each image, not a file for each size ordered. Here is what I do:

Batch edit export from lightroom
Upload to ROES
make any cropping for size changes in ROES

So, are you saying I have to know the pixel dimensions each size I want to order and export a separate file from Lightroom for each size?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 29, 2012 23:59 |  #11

jeljohns wrote in post #15305877 (external link)
Ok, now I am bit confused. I only make one file of each image, not a file for each size ordered. Here is what I do:

Upload to ROES
make any cropping for size changes in ROES

So, are you saying I have to know the pixel dimensions each size I want to order and export a separate file from Lightroom for each size?

Earlier you said you uploaded to ProDPI -- what is ROES?

If you have the ability to crop online, and if your image resolution is good for your print size, you should be fine. When people are giving you pixel dimensions, it's a "guideline" for a given print size, not a "I have to know the pixel dimensions each size I want" rule, but a guideline to guide you in your process, or to use when cropping and resizing.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 30, 2012 00:12 |  #12

Hey, before we go any farther, please read these threads:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1132002

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=83445

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?p=3740438

Take the time to absorb them and get some solid understanding under your belt, then review the stuff in this thread, and if you have further questions, ask away!

Tony

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 30, 2012 04:04 |  #13

What are your export settings? You still haven't told us what pixel dimensions you are sending to the printer, so let's try approaching it from another angle. Please tell us: 1. Does your LR editing include any cropping to improve the composition, exclude undesired elements, etc.? 2. In the LR export dialog is the Resize box checked? If yes, what numbers are in the size boxes next to the Resize box? If they are pixel values, tell us only what they are. If they are inch/cm. values, tell us also what is entered into the Resolution (ppi) box.

If the answers to the above questions are negative - you are not cropping in LR and the Resize box is not ticked, then you are sending a 3744 x 5616 pixels image, more than enough for a 12x18 inch print at 300 ppi. If you want a larger print, any lab should be able to resize that for you to at least 24x36 inches and most can make it larger. However, if you want a print larger than 12x18, I would recommend resizing it in LR rather than leaving it to the lab, because its sophisticated resizing and integrated Output Sharpening are excellent.

Assuming that you are uploading an sRGB jpg to the lab, you should tell us also what Quality/Compression you have set.

Elie / אלי

Moppie
14,845 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 30, 2012 04:20 |  #14

tonylong wrote in post #15307044 (external link)
Earlier you said you uploaded to ProDPI -- what is ROES?

ROES is a lovely little JAVA application that runs on your computer and allows you to create orders with a print lab.
At the customer end it is rather **** to use, but at the print end it is fantastic as it handles a lot of things through automation, including managing the rip for the printer and handling most of the billing.

It sadly reads the dpi tag in an image to determine print size and is prone to doing a terrible job of scaling images if the dpi doesn't match the print resolution (usually 300dpi as it's usually connected to something like Fuji Frontier).
It will scale before transmitting images to save on bandwidth and this is often where problems with dpi settings in the file occur.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 30, 2012 07:58 |  #15

tzalman wrote in post #15307403 (external link)
What are your export settings? You still haven't told us what pixel dimensions you are sending to the printer, so let's try approaching it from another angle.

Because I don't know. I don't enter any information, I just export at the size the file was when I imported from the camera, with the exception that it is now a jpeg and I leave it at 100% quality.

This is where I'm confused because I didn't know you had to enter pixel dimensions in lightroom to export.

sponsored links

6,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom and ProDPI
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.