Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 16:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's so special about 'M' mode?

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,652 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Nov 26, 2012 13:49 as a reply to  @ post 15291615 |  #151

Basically it all boils down to this:

All modes(except CA and "green box") have their strong points and weak points for the knowledgeable photographer was knows when and where to use each one, and even the "full auto" modes are useful(though not ideal) for a beginner.

There is NOTHING special about M mode.

Mark

sponsored links
waterrockets
Goldmember
3,945 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 26, 2012 13:50 |  #152

First, off, I agree with everyone who says they use all modes -- I use all the modes on my 1D, including P occasionally.

Regarding the changing lighting (shadows), this is exactly where I would use Av or Tv instead of M.

My example (and I think you get it -- just re-iterating for the sake of history) is more of a scene change than a lighting change. A soccer player passing the ball with the bench behind him is in the same light as the guy 30" off the ground going for a header with the sun behind him, and I'd prefer to shoot the two with the same settings and blow out/clip the background as needed.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,279 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 26, 2012 14:00 |  #153

waterrockets wrote in post #15291348 (external link)
Well, you do lose the ability to guarantee that the exposure won't change during or between bursts, like when a soccer player runs in front of different backgrounds that may sway evaluative metering.

That's a clear cut case for M.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 26, 2012 15:58 |  #154

I find it quicker to change the exposure to the right amount using M mode rather than fiddling with Exposure compensation (which is still relying on the metering mode and where you point it)

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 26, 2012 16:55 |  #155

Scapevision wrote in post #15292211 (external link)
I find it quicker to change the exposure to the right amount using M mode rather than fiddling with Exposure compensation (which is still relying on the metering mode and where you point it)

I usually point my camera at what I'm about to take a picture of. Don't you?

jkru617
220 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 26, 2012 17:10 |  #156

Who gives a crap what other photographers use? If I look at a photo I like, I don't think to myself "I sure hope this was shot in m mode". I just appreciate the photo for what it is. I use manual because its second nature and it feels weird using other modes, but what matters is the final result.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 26, 2012 17:15 |  #157

jkru617 wrote in post #15292489 (external link)
Who gives a crap what other photographers use? If I look at a photo I like, I don't think to myself "I sure hope this was shot in m mode". I just appreciate the photo for what it is. I use manual because its second nature and it feels weird using other modes, but what matters is the final result.

Hallelujah.

Andrushka
"all warm and fuzzy"
3,735 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 26, 2012 17:19 |  #158
bannedPermanently

I use M mode, not just because I know how, but because you get what you get and you don't get upset that the camera did this or that or changed something up on you and then you are standing there wondering why it did or did not do something :-) Of course, not to mention the desire/need for shot to shot consistency and off camera flash stuff...

Anyway - still appreciate that Green Box for when you hand the camera to someone for that quick "family in front of the famous spot" shot :-)

http://www.paradigmpho​tographyoc.com (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 26, 2012 17:24 |  #159

I find it strange that people join a photography forum and then express disdain for discussing methods and approaches to photography, even basic ones like exposure.

There are many topics that seem germaine, from lighting to subject matter to composition to equipment. This is a place for exactly these discussions.

I'll admit that arriving at a correct exposure is really basic for most experienced photographers, but I've seen the topic come up enough here to note that this is interesting to a lot of newer photographers.

I don't know why this particular topic seems to generate such passion, but there it is. I do know why I stuck with Av mode (for the most part) as an inexperienced photographer and I'm happy to explain things I learned along the way and why I find using M mode is often faster and less work overall for me now.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

photophilth
332 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 26, 2012 17:30 |  #160

I enjoy shooting M when lighting is tricky for the camera and I know the "look" I want. I'm no pro though, but when I shoot events outside with people (or just shoot people), lighting is more or less consistent. I have my exposure set so peoples skin looks properly exposed, not worrying about the sky and whatnot for most shots.

Sometimes I establish a second exposure for shooting in the shade and that mostly consists of flicking the shutter dial. Works for me since in post everything is so even from pictures to picture. Allows me to quickly make basic adjustments and then focus of a couple pictures that might need some attention, cause there are always a few. Keeps a set of photos "consistent" at final output too.

Rig shots require manual exposure too. Other than those two situations, I enjoy just shooting in Av around family and friends for fun to just capture moments of happiness and interaction and still retain some ability to be creative with DOF.

Shooting M is an acquired taste for most. I'd say those who need to shoot M figure it out eventually because it's truly useful while shooting and afterwards in post. Some never need to shoot M, because like me sometimes, it's nice to use the dslr and it's brains when it isn't super important to streamline edit time and you can just focus on whats going on around you when lighting changes too much (like inside room to room to outside to shade etc)

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 26, 2012 17:31 |  #161

... but what matters is the final result.

JeffreyG wrote in post #15292553 (external link)
I find it strange that people join a photography forum and then express disdain for discussing methods and approaches to photography, even basic ones like exposure.

You disagree with that? I detected no disdain at all, just a conclusion that the image is what matters. That's all.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 26, 2012 17:47 |  #162

I don't know why this particular topic seems to generate such passion, but there it is. I do know why I stuck with Av mode (for the most part) as an inexperienced photographer and I'm happy to explain things I learned along the way and why I find using M mode is often faster and less work overall for me now.

The disdain is when people try to dictate one method as the only "real" way to take "real" photos as a "real" photographer.

I'm happy to hear how you use M mode, just don't act like if I decide to use Av mode it is because I am ignorant.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 26, 2012 17:51 |  #163

You know a lot of these comments make me wonder how you guys reconcile using autofocus and E-TTL.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

photophilth
332 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 26, 2012 17:59 |  #164

tkbslc wrote in post #15292676 (external link)
You know a lot of these comments make me wonder how you guys reconcile using autofocus and E-TTL.

lol

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 26, 2012 18:22 |  #165

This mystifies me as well. And I'm glad you brought it up.

Someone asks "Why do people do ______ ?"

And we get hundred of posts saying "Why do you care what other people do?"

One of the reasons I joined this forum is to find out what other people do and why.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links

17,585 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's so special about 'M' mode?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.