Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Nov 2012 (Monday) 14:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you feel about Pinterest?

kristin6
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 26, 2012 14:36 |  #1

I recently discovered that I've had a few images re-pinned from Photo.net onto peoples Pin collections. I have mixed emotions about this. As an amateur, I find it flattering. On the other hand, I think that it can be a bit dubious. In my case, the linked images take you straight back to my Photo.net gallery, so I don't see this as a copyright infringement. Do you agree?

While I do not charge for my nature, wildlife and macro images, the cost of equipment, learning materials, software, electronics, not to mention the countless hours shooting... certainly adds monetary value to my work. Whether its deserved or not is a question for another day. :)

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 26, 2012 14:48 |  #2

Hi Kristin - TBH, I know very little about Pinterest. If somebody takes my image or puts it on their site, well that is theft and copyright infringement.

But if somebody LINKS to one of my images, which is typically on my website, blog or gallery, heck - that's free advertising and good for my SEO :D . That doesn't bother me. In some of my writing on my blog as well as POTN I have linked to other people's images as well. Look at it this way - the more people that see your work, the more folks may actually want to purchase a print for a gift, wall hanging, or fine art piece. Or, they may become more convinced of your worth relative to hiring you for a job they have in mind. Public ink is usually good ;).

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 26, 2012 16:11 |  #3

It's a chick's site. As a non-chick, I absolutely cannot get into it.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 26, 2012 16:12 |  #4

cdifoto wrote in post #15292256 (external link)

Ha! That's funny. Now, you can get into it. You may not want to get into it; but the gender cops made them take down the dude alarm.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 26, 2012 16:13 |  #5

kristin6 wrote in post #15291879 (external link)
I recently discovered that I've had a few images re-pinned from Photo.net onto peoples Pin collections. I have mixed emotions about this. As an amateur, I find it flattering. On the other hand, I think that it can be a bit dubious. In my case, the linked images take you straight back to my Photo.net gallery, so I don't see this as a copyright infringement. Do you agree?

While I do not charge for my nature, wildlife and macro images, the cost of equipment, learning materials, software, electronics, not to mention the countless hours shooting... certainly adds monetary value to my work. Whether its deserved or not is a question for another day. :)

Keep your stuff offline if you don't want people looking at it. It's a little silly to get up in arms when SAHMs share the very stuff you posted online for the purpose of showing off.

Now, if some CEO steals your stuff and uses it to sell widgets - go after the bastards.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 26, 2012 17:05 |  #6

I just got into Pinterest. It's a colossal waste of time, BUT I had a client pin her wedding pictures onto her board and I noticed that it drove over 50 clicks into my website. I then went to look at the pins on her page and realized that some of them had been re-pinned over a dozen times by complete strangers (who had those pinned repinned and so on). One got repinned over 100 times or more, to be honest I gave up tracking it. That's not too shabby if you ask me. I don't know a lot about it as far as copyright and stuff goes, but as long as they stay attached to my website, which they are, I'm happy with it. And my mark which has my website URL is in tact as well so that's an extra bonus.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 26, 2012 17:48 |  #7

PeaceFire wrote in post #15292474 (external link)
I just got into Pinterest. It's a colossal waste of time, BUT I had a client pin her wedding pictures onto her board and I noticed that it drove over 50 clicks into my website. I then went to look at the pins on her page and realized that some of them had been re-pinned over a dozen times by complete strangers (who had those pinned repinned and so on). One got repinned over 100 times or more, to be honest I gave up tracking it. That's not too shabby if you ask me. I don't know a lot about it as far as copyright and stuff goes, but as long as they stay attached to my website, which they are, I'm happy with it. And my mark which has my website URL is in tact as well so that's an extra bonus.

Well done you! That's a nice bit of advertising.

I think the only time you lose the link in repins is if someone right-clicks and saves the image, then uploads it to another site without the exif info. Pinterest itself does not store images, so the image could not be saved and then re-uploaded directly to Pinterest. It could, however, be uploaded under a different filename with no exif to a separate site and then re-pinned from that site back to Pinterest and you lose the copyright info unless its watermarked onto the image. You may want to check, but I have a sneaking suspicion that repins lose their right-click save protection when viewed through Pinterest.

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 26, 2012 18:07 |  #8

Actually, I am wrong. A while back I looked for a way to upload straight to Pinterest and I was unsuccessful. I very easily found a way to upload images from my hard drive today. I pinned a protected image from my Zenfolio gallery, then I right-click saved it to my hard drive through Pinterest, and re-loaded it up to Pinterest. I lost all EXIF info as well as the link back to my gallery.

So people can poach images using Pinterest and if you catch them...great! Then again, a copy of Snag-it is probably a faster, simpler method for stealing images. There is nothing sacred that is on the internet.

picsbyamanda
119 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 26, 2012 18:13 |  #9

I like it. It has many things that I can draw inspiration from. I feel like it's a more organized, cleaner tumblr.

And no, it's not a chick site. I know photographers, guy photographers, that use it to get inspiration for photos as well as things like fashion sense, gifts, and even architecture.

Gear List |Flickr (external link)|Twitter (external link)

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 26, 2012 18:35 |  #10

Amanda is correct. When we talk to a new client whether it is a senior girl or an engaged couple, we always ask them to pin some pics on pinterest that they love.....not just like. We instantly know what they like and what they don't. It's a huge help.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 26, 2012 20:16 |  #11

cbknight wrote in post #15292817 (external link)
Amanda is correct. When we talk to a new client whether it is a senior girl or an engaged couple, we always ask them to pin some pics on pinterest that they love.....not just like. We instantly know what they like and what they don't. It's a huge help.

That's a really good idea! It came naturally with that one client pinning her images but suggesting it to others seems like a good idea. Lets them share it and give you some free advertising. I think if used right it could be a much better option than Facebook (which I still haven't been able to get anything from).

In an odd coincidence, I was just over on Jasmine Star's blog reading this post on pricing your worth and I noticed that under each image she had an "Add to Pinterest" button for easy pinning. Not something I'd want to do until I understood Pinterest more, but a clever idea to work off of in the future.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 26, 2012 20:38 |  #12

cdifoto wrote in post #15292256 (external link)

:lol: that's funny ... it's kind of true, although I do agree with this:

picsbyamanda wrote in post #15292740 (external link)
I like it. It has many things that I can draw inspiration from. I feel like it's a more organized, cleaner tumblr.

And no, it's not a chick site. I know photographers, guy photographers, that use it to get inspiration for photos as well as things like fashion sense, gifts, and even architecture.

And sweet, nice going peacefire!!

PeaceFire wrote in post #15292474 (external link)

Canon RP | Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,192 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 26, 2012 20:42 as a reply to  @ emelvee's post |  #13

I have a board on Pinterest that I called "Great Photographs". I always credit the photographer, but if I don't know who took the picture, I admit that in the little text box that appears below the photograph. I love Pinterest but dear God, what a time suck!

Lady ­ Dah
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 26, 2012 20:48 |  #14

sapearl wrote in post #15291924 (external link)
...and good for my SEO :D .

Small point, but it's NOT good for your SEO since outbound links on Pinterest have a nofollow attribute. Which means that Pinterest specifically tells search engines not to give you any link love for that link.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 26, 2012 21:04 |  #15

Lady Dah wrote in post #15293314 (external link)
Small point, but it's NOT good for your SEO since outbound links on Pinterest have a nofollow attribute. Which means that Pinterest specifically tells search engines not to give you any link love for that link.

Now THAT'S interesting - I had no idea. And welcome to POTN Lady Dah :D. Do you have a particular area of photography that interests you?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links

4,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.