Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 08 Nov 2012 (Thursday) 02:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon S95 taking blurry pictures?

rschmitt
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 08, 2012 02:26 |  #1

I just bought a Canon S95 and it seems to be taking blurry pictures. I'm a beginner, so hopefully the camera is fine and I'm just doing something wrong, but I haven't been able to figure out what that might be.

This (external link) is a representative example of the problem I've been seeing: the white regions blur in a downward direction. I took this picture after resetting the camera to the factory default settings. I also turned off image stabilization, which didn't make a difference.

When I took this picture, the camera was resting on an improvised tripod, so the blurring isn't motion blur. In any case, it's always the same downward blur; I've tried different lighting conditions, distances, film speeds, aperture sizes, shutter speeds and so forth, but nothing I've tried seems to fix the problem. (For some reason there either isn't any image metadata in the file or I can't find it, so I can't say which settings this specific picture was taken with.) Suggestions?

sponsored links
rschmitt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 08, 2012 02:59 |  #2

Well, I must have changed something, because now I'm seeing better results:

Aperture priority (external link)
Manual, 1s exposure time (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2012 05:22 |  #3

Could you post smaller images, as it is quite difficult to view such a large picture, and actually post the images directly instead of using links? Just put [IMG] tags around the link.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 08, 2012 23:47 |  #4

are you talking about depth of field?
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Depth_of_field (external link)

if you want more of your image in focus, you can use a smaller aperture. remember the only thing that will be sharp in your photo is what you focus on.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

rschmitt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 26, 2012 05:27 |  #5

I wanted to follow up on my original post. I took the S95 with me on a trip to Japan and had a lot of problems with it. In particular, it had a number of problems auto-focusing, whether on Auto or Aperture Priority mode; I would half-press the shutter and just get a yellow box with an exclamation mark.

I took the camera to Bic Camera in Shinjuku and compared it to a PowerShot S110 they had on display. After resetting my own camera to the factory default settings, I experimented by pointing the two cameras at various targets within the store and half-pressing the shutter to auto-focus the scene. The S110 worked perfectly every time, but my S95 consistently had problems auto-focusing. I purchased the S110 and used it the rest of the trip, obtaining consistently excellent performance.

One odd thing is that the S95 seems to be auto-focusing pretty acceptably now that I'm home (even though parts of the image are still somewhat blurry, as I mentioned in my original post). These problems might only occur under certain lighting conditions, or with particular types of scenes; or maybe they're just outright intermittent. I don't know what exactly is wrong with it (but I'm certain now that something is wrong with it), and Canon apparently no longer offers repair services for this camera. What do?

leroy_sunset
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 26, 2012 22:21 |  #6

When did you buy the S95? Still under Canon warranty? If so, send it in for sure. Otherwise, call them and try to finagle a free repair, you might be surprised if you can spin a yarn of woe and misfortune (the Japan story might do the trick). Short of that, save it and use it for a Canon Loyalty Program trade-in discount.

The only time I get the exclamation point on my S95 is when it fails to focus in low light on objects outside of the range of the focus assist light. I take a step closer and try again.

Bic Camera is awesome! Although I preferred Yodobashi Camera.

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

rschmitt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2012 03:05 |  #7

leroy_sunset wrote in post #15293669 (external link)
When did you buy the S95? Still under Canon warranty? If so, send it in for sure. Otherwise, call them and try to finagle a free repair, you might be surprised if you can spin a yarn of woe and misfortune (the Japan story might do the trick). Short of that, save it and use it for a Canon Loyalty Program trade-in discount.

I purchased the S95 on September 30 of this year. The Canon web site says that repair services are no longer offered for the S95, but maybe this is just BS, or they will still credit me for the camera as you mentioned.

leroy_sunset wrote in post #15293669 (external link)
The only time I get the exclamation point on my S95 is when it fails to focus in low light on objects outside of the range of the focus assist light. I take a step closer and try again.

Yeah, with my S110 I only get the exclamation point if (a) I accidentally leave the camera in macro mode or (b) I point the camera at a huge blank wall with nothing to focus on and the camera has no idea what to do. When I was experimenting with the S110 in Bic Camera and I was basically unable to reproduce the yellow exclamation mark, it cemented my belief that something was wrong with my S95. (Previously I'd been thinking that the problem was with the carpenter and not the hammer, so to speak, due to me being an incompetent beginner.)

rschmitt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2012 03:35 |  #8

I've posted some sample pics from the S110 in the S110 stickied thread here.

sponsored links

4,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon S95 taking blurry pictures?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.