Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 01:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Another Logo C&C

kristin6
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2012 01:25 |  #1

I gave up on a creative company name and just went with my own name. The only thing I don't like about my name is the fact that my first and last names nearly rhyme. I just need something basic, and this is my first run at it. Other than the occasional odd job, I'm not in business at this time. I need to tweak the colors. Otherwise, what is your opinion?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Initials in logo form:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2012 13:06 |  #2

Wow, does it suck that badly?

JReichert
52 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 24, 2012 13:12 |  #3

I like the hand drawn feel of it. I prefer the 2nd over the first - there's just something about the hard solid lines of the K overlapping the half opacity of the L that is odd to my eyes.

Joanna Reichert
http://joannareichertp​hotography.wordpress.c​om (external link)

alquimista
Cream of the Crop
6,998 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 24, 2012 13:13 |  #4

They are interesting, what do you want to portrait your business as? What kind of clients do u have? Wedding, portrait, product photography? I think that might be important info, in order to decide the type of logo you need for your company image

la costura de Dios
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/andresmoline/ (external link)

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2012 13:35 |  #5

Right now, I'm just putting together a site for macro photography and nature/wildlife, which--lets face it--is not something you can really make money at as a weekend warrior. The "jobs" I've done tend to be very specific commercial jobs like housing, photographing artwork and archival catalog type stuff. Currently, I'm only doing photography for personal enjoyment; but I wanted to pull together a gallery that has a professional vibe and be able to hand out a business card as needed.

cbknight
Goldmember
1,767 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2012 13:58 |  #6

I prefer the first over the second. With your macro work, a more crisp watermark as in the first logo will look more appropriate than the second.

Craig
4K Photography Studio
[/URL]

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 26, 2012 00:54 |  #7

The hand-drawn graphic is competing with the clean serif font. Also, the K and L are overlapping, either separate them or merge them but don't let the colors overlap. You could keep the KL but drop your name and just have the "photography" subtitle

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 26, 2012 02:18 |  #8

Interesting, but a bit amateurish IMHO for a professional business. Depends on the business I guess.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 26, 2012 13:33 |  #9

tim wrote in post #15289912 (external link)
Interesting, but a bit amateurish IMHO for a professional business. Depends on the business I guess.

This is said with fair amount of affectionate frustration and good-humored eye-rolling, so please read on in that spirit! I have a stick in my craw about reading posts. I wonder if anyone reads past the subject line any more. I get this often, on various topics in various forums/sites. The person will reply with a comment like, "Well didn't you think to try XYZ in the PDQ?" And I'm left scratching my head because I just KNOW that I said something like that in my initial post. Case in point, I stated in my post that I am not running a photography business. I do occasionally pick up odd jobs, which is why I wanted to design something to put onto my gallery.

Now I will grant you that I posted this on the "Business of Photography" forum, which may imply a certain professional standing. I wish there had been a better forum for my query; but there is no "The Not-quite Business of Photography" forum.

I think that it makes perfect sense that its a bit amateurish, being that I am in fact, an amateur--both photographically and in design--but if it looks really silly, then I will scrap it and go with the $60/year Zenfolio package that just prints your name in an ugly font in the header.

DavidAndrew
37 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 27, 2012 00:25 as a reply to  @ kristin6's post |  #10

You asked for opinions and that is what Tim gave you. IMO there's just too much going on with it, amateur or pro. Simplify perhaps.

David
Portfolio / Blog  (external link) | Flickr  (external link) | 500px  (external link) | Instagram  (external link)

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 27, 2012 10:30 as a reply to  @ DavidAndrew's post |  #11

Kristen, The first logo is a winner for real estate on a website. The second would be difficult to place without moving things around a lot. If you altered the size you may lose detail.

I know what you mean about not wanting it to look 'pro'. My site www.campsiephotography​.co.uk (external link) started out as a "I don't really want too much work, but I like the idea of a place for people to see my work" thing.

If you have confidence in what you do just go for it :) If you like your branding, your name and URL then it's half the battle. I set up a IT support site years ago www.tech-m8.co.uk (external link) and from day one I hated the name, and changed the logo so many times. I often got teased about the site and name and I've eventually just lost faith in it.

If you feel 100% ok with what you're doing then you're on to a winner, only because it will show through in your work :)

Paul

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 27, 2012 12:13 |  #12

Contrary to others, I like the second logo. Makes me think it's a family or child portrait studio... something on the artsy side. I'm not sure if I like the color combination, however... especially if these are the colors to be showcased sitewide, they feel a bit drab for a website theme.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 27, 2012 12:28 |  #13

I think the first version is fun and I enjoy how the name interacts with the word 'photography'. Works for me.

Doesn't suck at all.

So, exactly what kind of business are you in?

:lol::lol::lol:

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 27, 2012 13:04 |  #14

Nathan wrote in post #15295722 (external link)
Contrary to others, I like the second logo. Makes me think it's a family or child portrait studio... something on the artsy side. I'm not sure if I like the color combination, however... especially if these are the colors to be showcased sitewide, they feel a bit drab for a website theme.

Thanks so much! I agree on the color's. I was doing this at 2am and knew I would need to fix them later. I just wanted to bang out the basic design and see if I could find something I liked okay using free fonts. I went back on Sunday and updated it using Pantone colors that some shade of primary blue and red. I also lost the grey which, on a black background, ends up looking like a washed out 4th of July graphic.

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 27, 2012 13:40 |  #15

It sounds like to me that you are trying to develop a brand for your personal photography site that can double as a professional interface if ever needed. There's nothing wrong with that. The logo, therefore, should represent you.

Something drew you to these fonts, meaning that it does somehow show a little bit about who you are. You're whimsical and relatively laid back. You are neat, clean, but aren't afraid to color outside the lines and be a little spontaneous. You like structure, but do not necessarily want to be bound by it. You're not rigid or calculated, but you're practical and sensible. Your aesthetic is relaxed and that is how working with you is like. You're a little school textbook-ish, which is neither good nor bad. You might even be a little predictable. All that said... you're a little sketchy. =P

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

2,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
Another Logo C&C
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.