Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 23 Nov 2012 (Friday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Audio: Did I make the right purchase?

MetalRain
652 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 23, 2012 12:16 |  #1

I recently purchased a Zoom H4n and I've been questioning the purchase.
My digital video audio needs are pretty limited. I don't plan on doing too much outside of interviews, maybe some corporate/product stuff too. I had originally planned on buying it and getting a LAV set up, but would I have been ok with a videomic pro?

5D3 | 16-35mm L MKII | 24-70L MKI | 70-200L MKII | Canon 400mm IS 2.8L | ∑85 | Einstein x3 |

sponsored links
Orguss
132 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 23, 2012 12:38 |  #2

You cant go wrong with a zoom H4N.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2012 14:45 |  #3

You will get the best audio quality by having the microphone close to the source, meters to check the level, and a headphone jack to confirm the audio quality. The Zoom can be put close to an interview subject and gives you independent position from the camera with audio monitoring. The VideoMic is commonly used on top of the camera and offers no monitoring.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 23, 2012 15:10 |  #4

Don't second guess it, it's more valuable than a Beachtek adapter and cheaper at the same time. You also have the ability to record in far higher quality than the camera lets you if you ever need that.

Joel

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 23, 2012 20:30 |  #5

videomic would never beat a h4n.

buy a boom pole and stand so you dont have to pay someone to operate a boom for interview stuff and enjoy great quality audio ;)

MetalRain
THREAD ­ STARTER
652 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 23, 2012 21:26 |  #6

Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. I was questioning after watching a documentary I was curious because the person used a videomic and it sounded awesome. Are there any good websites/blogs for learning audio?

5D3 | 16-35mm L MKII | 24-70L MKI | 70-200L MKII | Canon 400mm IS 2.8L | ∑85 | Einstein x3 |

J ­ Michael
972 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 23, 2012 21:44 |  #7

Another benefit of the recorder is the ability to record while not filming. Insert b-roll, photos, etc. where segments are used for which you don't have video.

Some resources:

http://www.dvxuser.com …Location-Sound-Post-Audio (external link)
http://transom.org/?ca​t=6 (external link)
http://www.trewaudio.c​om/booknook/ (external link)

mystic97z
226 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 24, 2012 09:05 |  #8

i had a h4n and my experience with it is it pickes up ALOT o ambient noise. if you have it in the room for an interview, it will pickup the noise from someone moving on a couch, or someone behind the camera clicking buttons on the camera. you really need a shotgun mic or a lav mic.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 24, 2012 16:59 |  #9

MetalRain wrote in post #15279799 (external link)
I recently purchased a Zoom H4n and I've been questioning the purchase.
My digital video audio needs are pretty limited. I don't plan on doing too much outside of interviews, maybe some corporate/product stuff too. I had originally planned on buying it and getting a LAV set up, but would I have been ok with a videomic pro?

Well let’s compare the differences between the two devices starting with the Rode VideoMic Pro.

One might think with a name like the VideoMic Pro the device would be a microphone suitable for professional video but that would be an incorrect assumption, it is at best a hot shoe mounted super cardioid with an un-balanced output which presents many drawbacks to providing any form of “professional” audio.

Mounted on the hot shoe requires you be on top of your subject being recorded and being unbalanced doesn’t allow you the freedom to remote it too far from the camera unless you like including hum and other types of noise to be introduced into your production.

Being a super cardioid it introduces the problem of poor off axis pickup so for interview purposes you would need to have the interviewer and the interviewee close to each other in order to properly utilize it’s pickup pattern if used off camera.

Now as to the H4N, while it is not the cream of the crop when it comes to digital recorders it does provide a decent bang for the buck and while you can and many do use it alone for interviews you would be well advised to utilize its balanced XLR inputs.

You can take the H4N plug into it a couple of pro lavs or even a couple of basic desk mics and run rings around anything the VMP could possibly offer you and you can still utilize the H4N’s microphones to record some ambiance at the same time and being as it provides both phantom power and balanced inputs you are not restricted to short cable lengths and choices of mics and will have decent immunity to hum and noise.

Now by the time you add a couple of external lavs or other mics you will have doubled or maybe more the cost of the H4N, but you are adding to the overall equity of your system and have begun with a good base to buildup from whereas with the VMP your are stuck on cheap.

Plus never forget when managing your production budget audio is the most important part of video…

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 24, 2012 17:00 |  #10

MetalRain wrote in post #15281538 (external link)
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. I was questioning after watching a documentary I was curious because the person used a videomic and it sounded awesome. Are there any good websites/blogs for learning audio?

You are already there, just ask.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 25, 2012 17:26 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Channel One wrote in post #15284269 (external link)
Plus never forget when managing your production budget audio is the most important part of video…

As a professional video editor I would like to shake your hand. This statement can not be over emphasized. Nothing ruins a cut like bad audio. I had to spend 3 hours on a 1.5 second clip that we absolutely needed and couldn't ADR last week, just to make it "acceptable" to put in the show...

I can watch something with bad framing. I can watch something with a shake camera move. I absolutely cant watch anything that sounds bad. You can hide a bad video capture many times, but it is usually impossible to hide horrible audio.

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 27, 2012 11:59 |  #12

I use to use the H4n, but now I use the Tascam dr-100 mk II. Although you can't go wrong with either, I prefer the Tascam.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 29, 2012 12:26 |  #13

ChadAndreo wrote in post #15295662 (external link)
I use to use the H4n, but now I use the Tascam dr-100 mk II. Although you can't go wrong with either, I prefer the Tascam.

Oh yea, thats a MUCH better unit thats why! lol

OP get a Shure SM93 wired lav for your interviews. That and the Zoom and you should be fine.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 29, 2012 22:18 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

I'd prefer a good shotgun on a boom.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 30, 2012 12:23 |  #15

Gameface wrote in post #15306714 (external link)
I'd prefer a good shotgun on a boom.

Good boom mic with some kind of wind protection and good boom (K-Tek, Sennheiser, Schoeps, etc) will cost 20 times more than a Zoom/wired lav setup. I was assuming OP was trying to keep costs down low.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

3,259 views & 0 likes for this thread
Audio: Did I make the right purchase?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.