Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 27 Nov 2012 (Tuesday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Travelling to Thailand...what am I missing?

mcoomer
225 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 27, 2012 09:11 |  #1

Heading to Thailand in two weeks for vacation. Going to be there almost a month, visiting Ubon Ratchathani, Chiang Mai, and Phuket. I've borrowed a nice backpack for my stuff. Looks like a Kata Bumblebee but maybe a previous year. Anyway, it holds my gripped body with the 70-200 attached so it's got good room. What else do I need to put in there? List of stuff so far:

Body
24-70
70-200
B+W XS-Pro MRC CPL
580EXII
Black Rapid RS-7
Charger/batteries
USB cable
Rocket blaster
Pec pads
Sensor swabs
Eclipse cleaning solution
2 X 32GB CF
1 X 16GB CF
Tripod(???)

I'm a bit hung on the last one because my wife has family over there so almost certainly going to be some group photos. I've got a wireless actuator (RC-6 I believe) so with a tripod everyone could be in the pics. Backpack has a holster for the feet but really would like to avoid carrying one if I can. I'd also have to rent as I don't own one. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

Gripped 5D2, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 580EXII

sponsored links
mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 28, 2012 00:10 |  #2

I spent 4 weeks in Thailand back in 2009. We spent most of our time in Bangkok and areas north of there (though not as far north as Chang Mai).

At the time, I had a 450D with a kit lens and the nifty 50. Most of the photo opportunities are pretty wide angle, but the 50 spent a lot of time on my camera as well. The cities are crowded, and the countryside is great for wide angle landscape photography. At the time I didn't have my 70-200, but I never really missed it. Someone I was traveling with had a 55-250 zoom, but only used it maybe 5-10% of the time. Bring your zoom, but don't be surprised if you don't use it much. With the busy schedule we were keeping, I wouldn't have had time to deal with a tripod. There were a few times it would have come in handy.

Watch your gear while you are at the street markets. There are a lot of great photo opportunities at the markets, but the Thai people we were staying with told us to keep an extra eye out. In general, the Thai people are wonderfully friendly and helpful, and even in downtown Bangkok we felt pretty safe.

The photos I took on that trip are posted on my Flickr account here. They might give you a better idea of the types of shots you might make:

http://www.flickr.com …j/sets/72157616​122391720/ (external link)

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 28, 2012 22:48 as a reply to  @ mikepj's post |  #3

You are heading to Thailand at a good time of the year. The weather will be cooler and drier.

I love northern Thailand especially around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. My wife and I duck up to Chiang Mai a couple of times a year for a few days away. Lovely small city which is very easy to get around with a nice mix of old and new. Great food also.

While you're there, check out Walking Street, the night markets there. Great photo ops if you're into photographing people. Thais don't mind having their photos taken. Also check out Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep on the mountain overlooking Chiang Mai. Well worth the look.

I never take a tripod when I travel. If you are really stuck for a tripod you can get one cheaply at most markets and camera stores in the shopping malls. BTW,, they have a pretty good Canon shop at the Airport Plaza.

Just too add, Thailand is generally pretty safe, Chiang Mai more so.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

mcoomer
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 29, 2012 09:14 |  #4

Looks like I gave the wrong impression in my first post. I've been to Thailand probably a dozen times now. My wife is from Laos and lived in eastern Thailand for 5-6 years, speaks the language fluently, and still has some close family there. Love the place, and the people.

I'm more concerned with my kit. I've never had a camera and kit this nice and want to make sure that I don't forget some little bit that's easy to overlook but essential to successful photos. Basically, everything I'm planning to take is listed. Have I overlooked something?

Thanks,
Mike

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 29, 2012 10:56 as a reply to  @ mcoomer's post |  #5

Ah, I see. Yeah, your list looks good. Just make sure that charger/batteries includes ones for the camera as well as your flash. You also don't list a laptop or something to backup your photos onto.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

mcoomer
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 29, 2012 14:21 |  #6

mikepj wrote in post #15304183 (external link)
Ah, I see. Yeah, your list looks good. Just make sure that charger/batteries includes ones for the camera as well as your flash. You also don't list a laptop or something to backup your photos onto.

Taking laptop with external drive for storage. Have batteries for the body and flash.

marcosv
775 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 05, 2013 14:49 |  #7

If you don't have it already, get personal article insurance for all of your gear. Pretty cheap protection considering some policies have no deductables, includes "acts of god", and protects your home owner's policy.

In my kit,I also have a Sensor Loupe and Op/Tech USA rain sleeves (both types, for use with and without external flash). I also had a few light modifiers for my external flash (e.g., Demb Flash Diffuser) for indoor group shots of family and outdoor fill flash. For the tripod, I have a shutter release cable and if I got the room, I'd bring a setup for doing multi-shot panaromics.

EOS-M | 40D | 5DII | 5DIII | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-55 | 10-22 | 17-55 | 17-40L | 24-70L mk II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS mk II| 35L | 85L II |35/2 | 40/2.8 pancake | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 100/2 | Rokinon 14/2.8 | 90 EX | 270 EX II | 580 EXII | 600 EX-RT

sponsored links

2,163 views & 0 likes for this thread
Travelling to Thailand...what am I missing?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.