Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you had a worthless 70-300 lens...

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 29, 2012 18:53 |  #31

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15306006 (external link)
What a dumb thread...give it to some kid starting out in photography, I know I would have been happy if someone did that for me when I had no money and was starting out. EDIT: Now that I'm all grown up and money isn't an issue, people still give me their unwanted cameras...some of them I pass on to others and some of them I treasure and keep...I remember I picked up a bunch of old film cameras from a local art school and I only wanted one or two of them...but they said take all or take none. So I took them all, and I kept throwing the ones I didn't want in as freebies when I was selling other film gear...people absolutely loved it!

Destroying it is plain idiotic.

I won't pass judgement on its idiocy, but it's certainly wasteful when others can use the workable gear.

My Gear

sponsored links
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 29, 2012 18:57 |  #32

By the way, if you decide to give it to someone that you decide is deserving, I'll reimburse you for up to $15 for shipping.

My Gear

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 29, 2012 19:01 |  #33

runninmann wrote in post #15306037 (external link)
I won't pass judgement on its idiocy, but it's certainly wasteful when others can use the workable gear.

It's not judgement, it's an observation. ;) The word is fitting...(from dictionary.com)

id·i·ot·ic [Id-ee-ot-ik] Show IPA
adjective

senselessly foolish

Destroying a lens for no good reason when it could be used by someone deserving *IS* senselessly foolish.

But good for you for offering up to get that lens to someone deserving :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

SamHenry
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 29, 2012 19:32 |  #34

I'll keep it, damn I was just trying to have some fun. Call me foolish. But I'm operating under the whole "friends don't let friends use junk". One opinion over another

5DmkII
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/supercrossbmxer​/ (external link)
SamHenryPhotography.co​m (external link)

Modakai
20 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 29, 2012 19:38 |  #35

SamHenry wrote in post #15306173 (external link)
I'll keep it, damn I was just trying to have some fun. Call me foolish. But I'm operating under the whole "friends don't let friends use junk". One opinion over another

Ahem... "One person's trash/junk is another person's treasure". Just saying :)

SamHenry
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 29, 2012 19:40 |  #36

Modakai wrote in post #15306192 (external link)
Ahem... "One person's trash/junk is another person's treasure". Just saying :)

True. I honestly keep it in my gear bag anyways. Maybe I'll give it away, who knows

5DmkII

sophie's-mom
317 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 29, 2012 19:48 |  #37

SamHenry wrote in post #15306197 (external link)
Maybe I'll give it away, who knows

*slowly raises hand* ahem :D

Whether you destroy it or give it away...it is yours to do with as you please. While I would prefer to give to someone or get a few bucks for something...what you decide to do is totally up to you.

If you DO decide to destroy it...please post photos!

OOO, you should take it apart and create a nice little macro series!

SamHenry
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 29, 2012 20:23 |  #38

sophies-mom wrote in post #15306230 (external link)
=sophie's-mom;15306230]OOO, you should take it apart and create a nice little macro series!

I would if I had a DANG MACRO LENS. Stupid full frame and it's expensive macro lenses -__-

That could be interesting to see it in pieces

5DmkII

sophie's-mom
317 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 29, 2012 20:27 |  #39

SamHenry wrote in post #15306333 (external link)
I would if I had a DANG MACRO LENS.

DANG...too bad that 70-300 IS a MACRO lens!

hahahahaha!!

SamHenry
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 29, 2012 20:32 |  #40

sophies-mom wrote in post #15306348 (external link)
=sophie's-mom;15306348]DANG...to​o bad that 70-300 IS a MACRO lens!

hahahahaha!!

A DANG *proper* MACRO LENS. lol Trust me, this one IS NOT. I've tried, it doesn't get nearly close enough, and focuses at about 6 feet lol

5DmkII

sophie's-mom
317 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 29, 2012 20:41 |  #41

SamHenry wrote in post #15306369 (external link)
A DANG *proper* MACRO LENS.

:D I just totally found that funny. :D I had one...it broke...but it IS a macro.

You see the irony in that...right? ;)

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 29, 2012 23:55 |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

I can't believe that in 3 pages of responses, nobody suggested this. Get on the phone. Find a local High-School with an art department, and maybe a photography teacher, if you are lucky. Donate it. They will be happy to have it. You get a tax deduction for its full original retail value, provided you bought it new. Everybody wins.

I decided to get rid of some of my excess film equipment this fall. Our local HS does have a photography course. They had one film body with one lens. I gave them 2 Yashica FX-2 bodies, and two flash units along with these lenses: 28 2.8, 50 1.9, 135 2.8, Vivitar Series ONE 28-105, Tokina 35-200 and a few other niceties like cable releases and tripods. I threw in 10 or so rolls of film. The principal and the art teacher were appreciative of the donation.

Lots of public schools are struggling with budget stuff these days, and art/music is often the first thing to go. Help them out, please. Even if they can't use it. They may be able to sell it at the school garage sale and make some money for other supplies.

Gear List

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 30, 2012 00:20 as a reply to  @ TSchrief's post |  #43

SamHenry wrote in post #15306173 (external link)

ORLY? Many would argue that the 50 1.8 you're rocking is junk.

And your friends must be really annoyed with you. Do you take their point and shoot cameras and smash them? Do you burn their Chevy Cavaliers and demand they buy a Lexus? Do you drown their less-than-i7 computers in a bathtub? I'd love to know where you stop with your crusade...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

SamHenry
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 30, 2012 07:20 |  #44

LowriderS10 wrote in post #15307094 (external link)
ORLY? Many would argue that the 50 1.8 you're rocking is junk.

And your friends must be really annoyed with you. Do you take their point and shoot cameras and smash them? Do you burn their Chevy Cavaliers and demand they buy a Lexus? Do you drown their less-than-i7 computers in a bathtub? I'd love to know where you stop with your crusade...

I think you're taking this a little out of proportion. It's my own personal property, so I can do with it as I please. It's just like people waiting in line for the newest iPhone for 3 days, buy it, then smash it on the ground right outside.

5DmkII

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 30, 2012 08:45 as a reply to  @ SamHenry's post |  #45

I have donated a large amount of useful things to Goodwill and the Salvation Army, but if I ever felt like just destroying something for the hell of it, I would, with no regrets. SamHenry bought it, SamHenry owns it, and if you (the generic you, not pointing a finger at anyone in particular) don't want him to destroy it, then buy it and donate it yourself. Some people still believe in personal property rights.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you had a worthless 70-300 lens...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.