Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 28, 2012 21:31 as a reply to  @ post 15302130 |  #346

I could be wrong on this, but looking at the Cinch photos, it looks like the lens hangs pretty much vertically downwards most or all of the time. I should think this would put little to no stress on the camera mount, so strictly speaking, putting the second attachment point on the lens tripod foot should be unnecessary, right?

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 28, 2012 22:04 |  #347

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15302437 (external link)
I could be wrong on this, but looking at the Cinch photos, it looks like the lens hangs pretty much vertically downwards most or all of the time. I should think this would put little to no stress on the camera mount, so strictly speaking, putting the second attachment point on the lens tripod foot should be unnecessary, right?

Don't know I have always worried about having 4 pounds being supported by the camera mount

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 28, 2012 23:14 |  #348

Are there any lens sizes for which the 2nd attachment point should be on the lens tripod foot instead of the camera tripod socket? My biggest lens is a 100-400, which I think is a bit lighter than the 70-200 MK II.

Generally, our advice is that if the lens has a tripod foot, you should attach one point of the Cinch to it.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

ahendarman
851 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 29, 2012 13:50 |  #349

After using the Cinch for a couple outings, I am having a hard time switching between "cinch-ed" position and shooting position. The neoprene shoulder pad is doing its job preventing the strap to slide but it also making moving the camera from "cinch-ed" position to shooting position hard.
Or it's entirely possible that I am just doing this wrong. Any pointer is appreciated.

Gear | Smugmug (external link)

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 29, 2012 17:43 |  #350

gakoenig wrote in post #15302774 (external link)
Generally, our advice is that if the lens has a tripod foot, you should attach one point of the Cinch to it.

Yes that is what I did when I had the cinch. I do like that set up I saw early in this post where the guy uses a snap and the loop for a QR set up. This has me thinking of trying this strap again

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 29, 2012 17:45 |  #351

LostArk wrote in post #15016590 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

I am probably the biggest Cinch fanboy around. I've tried just about every carrying method under the sun, and I have to say the Cinch comes as close to being perfect as anything I've tried. My only gripe with it is that it is not quick release; a problem I solved using OP/TECH Adapt-Its (external link) and a small lobster clasp from the hardware store (pictured). Another benefit I find the Cinch has over Black Rapid type straps is that the tripod mount attachment point is small enough to be able to still comfortably use the vertical grip. :)

I like this set up so much I am thinking of giving the cinch another try

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 29, 2012 21:59 |  #352

I like this set up so much I am thinking of giving the cinch another try

Luma just spent a LOT of money to find out that you *never* want to use a gate clip to hold onto your camera.

We'll be posting a video soon.

(And yea, the QD is delayed due to something big we found in testing that applies to any gate clip)

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 29, 2012 22:14 |  #353

gakoenig wrote in post #15306655 (external link)
Luma just spent a LOT of money to find out that you *never* want to use a gate clip to hold onto your camera.

(And yea, the QD is delayed due to something big we found in testing that applies to any gate clip)

I think I know what you mean they come open out of no where

whmeltonjr
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 29, 2012 22:42 |  #354

Any estimation as to how long it may be delayed now?

William | Fuji X-E1 | Fuji X100S | Flickr (external link)

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,275 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 29, 2012 23:09 |  #355

gakoenig wrote in post #15302774 (external link)

I have not yet tried using the Cinch with my Sigma 150-500. I have used the lens with the cinch on the camera, but I was using the tripod.

That is a bit discouraging, but I know those things happen. I am so hoping the QD will be useful with my Sigma 150-500 lens/tripod mount.

What is the gate clip on a camera?

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 30, 2012 00:45 |  #356

Any estimation as to how long it may be delayed now?

Well, given that we just hit a brick wall (after spending thousands of dollars on tooling), I can't really say.

I can tell you that this project was being done in parallel with Cinch MkII, which was slowing both projects down somewhat. Given that MkII will be out in a couple of weeks, 100% of my time will be devoted to re-engineering the QR system. We also have new materials and a new supplier that we didn't have before, and they combine to really expand on our capabilities (some of which will be on display with the MkII). With them on our side, I suspect that the QR will happen relatively rapidly and be way cooler than the hook design.

We will be posting a video in the next couple of days. The major bullet point of it is that you should *not* use *any* gate clip on your camera. This problem isn't just with the one we designed and tooled; it effects every off-the-shelf gate clip we tested. We happened to run into it because we perform really extensive testing.

If the hook gets wedged into the split key or opening you have it attached to, the gate can be pushed open right as the clip slides off. We've been running titanium gate clips on our cameras for months now as part of our evaluations, and never had a problem. It was only in the final rounds of extreme testing that we found the recipe for gate hook failure. Now that we've seen it, we can reproduce it with every one of the 5 different off-the-shelf gate hooks we have sitting around.

It is a rare failure. We've never heard of it effecting people (and lots of Cinch users have slapped gate hooks on their straps to get some sort of QR functionality). Even so, Luma is a business and that business is built on people trusting us to carry a *very* important piece of equipment. There is nobody out there who wishes I could sell these hooks more than me (they are really very cool, injection molded long filament carbon fiber that holds 250lbs!), but I cannot offer them for sale after seeing how easily a gate clip can fail.

If you are desperate for a QR system, the benchmark we are attempting to beat is the Swiss made Le Hook (http://www.lehook.co.u​k (external link)). They are fantastic, they are strong, they are very trick... but they are also $40 for the pair.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 30, 2012 00:54 |  #357

What is the gate clip on a camera?

These are all examples of gate clips:

IMAGE: http://www.countycomm.com/_images/yachtclip/yachtcliplarge10.jpg
IMAGE: http://countycomm.com/_images/tigateclip/photo-1.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.countycomm.com/_images/gateclip/gatecliplarge1.jpg

And this is the carbon fiber Luma gate clip (without the gate installed):
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8062/8189113367_c3c37a7a6d.jpg

i-G12
Wat?
1,686 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 30, 2012 07:09 |  #358

.... :o

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 30, 2012 09:53 |  #359

gakoenig wrote in post #15307167 (external link)
We will be posting a video in the next couple of days. The major bullet point of it is that you should *not* use *any* gate clip on your camera. This problem isn't just with the one we designed and tooled; it effects every off-the-shelf gate clip we tested. We happened to run into it because we perform really extensive testing.

I want to see this video! I currently use Op/Tech's gate clips for QD.

Joel

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,706 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 30, 2012 16:38 |  #360

Gee, thanks. I went to that website and just ordered one of those gate hooks. No idea what I'll do with it, but damn it looks so cool.

sponsored links

267,208 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.