Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 24 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Unauthorized Dealer / Grey Market - Warranty Poll

Ynot
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 27, 2012 20:00 |  #16

I'm about to drive mine in to Irvine and would be happy to report back after my dealings. I bought mine new from an "unauthorized dealer" in January of this year. The dealer said it was new, not a grey market body and that it carried a "USA WARRANTY" We'll see.

Tony
My Gear
Governments don't live together, people live together...Ӕ
Outlaw Josey Wales

sponsored links
bsp
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 27, 2012 20:01 |  #17

^Good luck!

Brian
Gear & Feedback

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 27, 2012 20:15 |  #18

Ynot wrote in post #15297564 (external link)
I'm about to drive mine in to Irvine and would be happy to report back after my dealings. I bought mine new from an "unauthorized dealer" in January of this year. The dealer said it was new, not a grey market body and that it carried a "USA WARRANTY" We'll see.

Didn't you have a warranty card in the box?

Facebook (external link)
www.albert-heisler.com  (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

Ynot
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 27, 2012 21:03 |  #19

If what you see below is a warranty card then yes, among other things. Not exactly a warranty card of yesteryear. I did this today including my body's serial number, when and where I purchased it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

I received an email confirming that it's registered:

"Dear Tony,

Congratulations and welcome to CANON iMAGE GATEWAY. Now that you've registered a qualifying Canon product, you have exclusive member-only access to the Online Photo Album.
"....

Seems like things are on the up and up, but what do I know?

Tony
My Gear
Outlaw Josey Wales

bigcountry
Goldmember
4,485 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 27, 2012 21:03 |  #20

Here is what is going to happen, with everyone making a lot of noise online and verbally, canon will simply enforce their policies which they have been lenient on. happens every time.

Louisville Kentucky Wedding Photographer (external link)
Travel the World and Photograph (external link)
Find me on Facebook (external link)

Ynot
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 27, 2012 21:20 |  #21

Once registered with Canon, is there a way to look up warranty info?

Tony
My Gear
Outlaw Josey Wales

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 27, 2012 21:39 |  #22

bsp wrote in post #15297498 (external link)
It looks more like a questionnaire so that in the end we can see trending patterns not just a 'yes' or 'no' type poll.

BTW ben_r, the tripod leg protectors worked great on my setup this summer in the lake! Thanks a lot!

Ah, gotcha. Yea that does make more sense.

And glad they did! Good to hear!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 28, 2012 07:36 |  #23

PhotoPrice wrote in post #15294823 (external link)
I've gotten a few responses, but certainly not enough to draw a conclusion on this.

Anyone else out there with experience sending in unauthorized or grey market items for warranty?

I think the reason you got few responses is that warranty is overrated because the chances for you to sent the camera under the first year are so isolated that very few people are so unfortunate to have it brake under warranty.

Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

Ynot
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 28, 2012 16:49 |  #24

... and so I dropped my body off today at Canon.

I walked in took a number and sat down. After about a ten minute wait I was called to the window. I presented my body and lens and the guy asked me what the problem is. I told him, and while doing so I gave him the form that I printed from their web site along with the receipts. One receipt for my refurbished lens that I got from Canon and the other receipt for my body that I got from the "unauthorized" dealer. He quickly looked at them and handed them back and said, "you can keep those for your records." He hardly looked at them. He typed things into his system and kept the forms explaining the issues. Then he told me that every thing's covered under the warranty's.

The only thing he asked me to confirm was my name and email, so I seem to think that he looked my gear up under those, since they were already registered with Canon.

The best part was that he said that this will extend my warranty six months from the pickup date. My body will now be covered until June instead of January and my lens May, instead of February. So my lens went from a 3 month (refurb) warranty to a 5 month. Reminded me of how Apple's treated me for years and just another thing that's kept me onboard.

After all the noise that's been going around I was a bit nervous bringing my body in, but Canon was awesome to say the least and put me at ease. The truth is I wasn't trying to get something by them and do something dishonest anyway, so why should I have felt that way? Noise, lots of noise that I fell for.

Tony
My Gear
Outlaw Josey Wales

keyframe14
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 28, 2012 22:30 |  #25

Ynot wrote in post #15301402 (external link)

I walked in took a number and sat down. After about a ten minute wait I was called to the window. I presented my body and lens and the guy asked me what the problem is. I told him, and while doing so I gave him the form that I printed from their web site along with the receipts. One receipt for my refurbished lens that I got from Canon and the other receipt for my body that I got from the "unauthorized" dealer. He quickly looked at them and handed them back and said, "you can keep those for your records." He hardly looked at them. He typed things into his system and kept the forms explaining the issues. Then he told me that every thing's covered under the warranty's.

The only thing he asked me to confirm was my name and email, so I seem to think that he looked my gear up under those, since they were already registered with Canon.

The best part was that he said that this will extend my warranty six months from the pickup date. My body will now be covered until June instead of January and my lens May, instead of February. So my lens went from a 3 month (refurb) warranty to a 5 month. Reminded me of how Apple's treated me for years and just another thing that's kept me onboard.

After all the noise that's been going around I was a bit nervous bringing my body in, but Canon was awesome to say the least and put me at ease. The truth is I wasn't trying to get something by them and do something dishonest anyway, so why should I have felt that way? Noise, lots of noise that I fell for.

That's exactly what I thought. Thank you for sharing

Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
IG (external link)

LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 28, 2012 23:39 |  #26

This is exactly my experience at Canon Irvine for many years. This whole authorized/unauthorize​d stuff is a bunch of malarkey.

Buy new, have a receipt, you're good to go.

Ynot wrote in post #15301402 (external link)

PhotoPrice
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 30, 2012 07:34 |  #27

Thanks for the responses so far. I have quite a few responses for Canon Irvine's center, looking for more people to share experiences at the NJ or VA repair centers. Please help get the word out and we can close on this soon!

For Irvine I've had many "yes, I got warranty service" answers just like Ynot's post above, and only one "no". Although the person who posted "no" didn't provide any details so I'm wondering if it was a mistake. They also didn't leave any contact details. If that was you, please contact me and tell me more about what happened.

inspectoring
207 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 30, 2012 09:33 |  #28

wow...this says a lot about a company. Canon is so ambiguous about answering the questions that we have to poll the customers ? In any case I am glad this is taking place....

Gear: 7D, Canon 70-200 f8 MK II, 70-200 f4 IS, 24-70 f2.8 and Sigmalux 50 f1.4 Flash: 580EXii

Ltdave
it looks like im post #19,016
3,707 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 30, 2012 10:01 |  #29

Canon is being ambiguous because it really doesn't want your to know that as long as there is a USA warranty, they HAVE TO HONOR it regardless of where you sourced your gear... there is a law that says they must honor that USA warranty ....

If they didn't make it sound like "Authorized" was the only way to go, they couldn't entice dealers into becoming "Authorized" by having them buy more products either in quantity or dollar amount...

By calling for "Authorized" dealers as YOUR source they are helping to advertise for them, this giving them some return on their investment in inventory ......

bsp
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 30, 2012 10:59 |  #30

Ltdave wrote in post #15308210 (external link)
Canon is being ambiguous because it really doesn't want your to know that as long as there is a USA warranty, they HAVE TO HONOR it regardless of where you sourced your gear... there is a law that says they must honor that USA warranty ....

If they didn't make it sound like "Authorized" was the only way to go, they couldn't entice dealers into becoming "Authorized" by having them buy more products either in quantity or dollar amount...

By calling for "Authorized" dealers as YOUR source they are helping to advertise for them, this giving them some return on their investment in inventory ......

Business 101 right there...

Brian
Gear & Feedback

sponsored links

4,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Unauthorized Dealer / Grey Market - Warranty Poll
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.