Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Nov 2012 (Monday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom and ProDPI

jeljohns
THREAD ­ STARTER
334 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 30, 2012 08:04 |  #16

tonylong wrote in post #15307077 (external link)
Hey, before we go any farther, please read these threads:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1132002

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=83445

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?p=3740438

Take the time to absorb them and get some solid understanding under your belt, then review the stuff in this thread, and if you have further questions, ask away!

Thanks for the info, I'll read up on them! These all refer to photoshop, but I'm talking about exporting from lightroom, because I was batch exporting all my files.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 30, 2012 09:50 |  #17

jeljohns wrote in post #15307801 (external link)
Because I don't know. I don't enter any information, I just export at the size the file was when I imported from the camera, with the exception that it is now a jpeg and I leave it at 100% quality.

This is where I'm confused because I didn't know you had to enter pixel dimensions in lightroom to export.

You don't have to. Read again what I wrote:

If the answers to the above questions are negative - you are not cropping in LR and the Resize box is not ticked, then you are sending a 3744 x 5616 pixels image, more than enough for a 12x18 inch print at 300 ppi.

OK, so you are sending them a 3744x5616 pixels image (you really ought to read enough of the manual to know what size images your camera produces) and ordering an 8x10 print. This is a real resolution of 468 ppi, not the 240 ppi that the lab said they received; so, as Moppie suggested, the problem seems to be that your file is carrying a 240 ppi tag which is confusing the ROES. In the LR Export dialog page, do not check the Resize box, but do change the Resolution number to 300 ppi (the same advice Jay gave three days ago) and this will give your file a number that will make the lab happy.

Elie / אלי

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 30, 2012 10:42 |  #18

I did a quick look at the PRODPI site.
There is a page in their support section that specifies prints sizes based on 300 pixels per inch.
My guess is that they have their software setup for that and don't want to do anything on a print by print basis.

Presumably the ROHS interface they have does make adjustments when an image is cropped.

If you are exporting the JPGs from Lightroom using the export module in the two spaces where 1024 is should be a number that is equal to 300x the size print you are ordering.
To make life easier save the various sizes as presets.

If you want, for clarity, set the pixels per inch to 300. That really has no meaning but will help you remember the relationship to print size based on the lab's requirements.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom and ProDPI
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.