Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Nov 2012 (Friday) 13:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Lens recommendations

drcig
22 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 30, 2012 13:47 |  #1

A Canon T4i is on the way with a 18-55 kit lens. I photograph as a hobby.

I am in need of some help on picking out a few lenses.

As an Electronic tech by trade I often photograph circuit boards for reference, and need something to get in a little closer than me G9 can do. I also photograph quite a few items that I sell on eBay and need to get a little closer so the buyer can read all text on the product or box.
I also photograph food, bugs, flowers, animals, model airplanes, air shows, and my son. So I will need something for portraits as well as some sport capability outside.
60% of things I photograph will be indoors. The lighting isn't that great so some low light performance would be helpful also.

I have a budget of around 1200 dollars. I want to get the most bang for buck.

Any help and insight would be very much appreciated.

sponsored links
Frugaltravelguy
154 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 30, 2012 14:02 |  #2

ALL that in ONE lens? = Compromise! First I would have recommended a macro lens for your CB photos / flowers if you like to stick to the crop body the 60mm macro is good for that.
But ALL in one lens perhaps the 24-105 or 24-70 L lenses which you could later use on a FF body and are great lenses as "Allrounder / Do it ALL"

For Sale: B+W 67mm UV Haze Slim MRC 010M Filter
Travel Camera system (external link) I The Frugal Traveler's Guide (external link)

drcig
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 30, 2012 14:04 |  #3

It doesn't have to be just 1 lens. I am definitely willing to compromise if there are multiple lenses to cover everything I photograph.

Frugaltravelguy
154 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 30, 2012 14:21 |  #4

the question is also how long you have been photographing? Do you like the hobby or do you just start out? I had many crop bodies 30D, 50D, T3i and now finally 5D Mark III. Anyway I had ALL crop EF-S lenses 10-22, 18-200, 60mm Macro I ended up selling ALL with a loss. So I recommend getting EF lenses if you have been in the "hobby" for some time and know you like it and like the Canon line. Thats my take.

For Sale: B+W 67mm UV Haze Slim MRC 010M Filter
Travel Camera system (external link) I The Frugal Traveler's Guide (external link)

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 30, 2012 14:21 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

You could easily spend $20,000+ if you want THE BEST lens for every purpose. Decide what you want to do, then look for the best lens you can afford that does that to your standards. If you tell POTN members exactly what you want to do (not EVERYTHING) they will have enough suggestions to make your head swim.

Gear List

jpjaybird2011
90 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 30, 2012 14:29 as a reply to  @ drcig's post |  #6

I would say 70-200 f/4 non-IS which will cover outdoor portrait of your son and air show shots.

35 f/2 for a normal-ish prime lens for your crop, for shallow depth-of-field shots of your son (indoor portrait) and model airplanes.

100mm non-L macro for bugs, flowers, small stuff and model airplanes. Non-USM motor a little cheaper and similar image quality. But I think it extends externally where USM extends internally.

Any of these can be used for animals depending on how close you are or what framing you want. These three together should come in close to your 1200 budget, maybe a bit over if you buy new.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 30, 2012 15:20 |  #7

drcig wrote in post #15309034 (external link)
A Canon T4i is on the way with a 18-55 kit lens. I photograph as a hobby.

I am in need of some help on picking out a few lenses.

As an Electronic tech by trade I often photograph circuit boards for reference, and need something to get in a little closer than me G9 can do. I also photograph quite a few items that I sell on eBay and need to get a little closer so the buyer can read all text on the product or box.
I also photograph food, bugs, flowers, animals, model airplanes, air shows, and my son. So I will need something for portraits as well as some sport capability outside.
60% of things I photograph will be indoors. The lighting isn't that great so some low light performance would be helpful also.

I have a budget of around 1200 dollars. I want to get the most bang for buck.

Any help and insight would be very much appreciated.

for the close-ups get a 1:1 macro lens like the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro or Canon 60mm or 100mm 2.8 macro - $300 + used
they also do great as portrait lens

For air shows, get the Canon 55-250IS - it's only $150 but sharp

XSi (450D)
Canon 55-250IS
250mm
f5.6

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2602/4117657403_dce5c31013_b.jpg

drcig
THREAD ­ STARTER
22 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 30, 2012 16:06 |  #8

I have been in the hobby for a while now. The T4i is something I plan on keeping at least 4 years or more before I upgrade to something else.
You bring up a valid point there Frugal. I definitely don't want to replace all my lenses when I buy a full frame camera in the future.

If I had to narrow it down I would say I do more macro and portraits than anything. An outdoor sports, animal/ airshow lens would probably be something I can wait on if I find a decent macro lens. Also I mostly hand hold my camera. Absolute max I can spend is around $1200.

I plan on investing in a new lens every couple years as I am able to. Photography is something I enjoy and will continue doing for a very long time.
Very nice photo there watt that is really sharp.

I am leaning toward purchasing an Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens. From what I have read it's a great macro lens.

sponsored links

1,180 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Lens recommendations
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.