Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Nov 2012 (Friday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean w/50L+5D3

Route246
492 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 30, 2012 14:13 |  #1

I went to Disneyland last weekend and used my 50L+5D3 100% of the time with a focus on indoor shots of specific rides. Pirates of the Caribbean is one of the most challenging because of the low level of light, no flash photography allowed and being in a moving boat. If you've ever tried to shoot inside of Pirates you will know what I'm talking about. I've attempted these shots hundreds of times in the past with limited success. I created links to some of the better ones.

This one is probably the toughest because it is a scene that feels like total darkness. Old Man Smoking Pipe (external link)

This one is a hologram projected into smoke that is blowing down from the ceiling and very difficult to get timed correctly. Hologram in Smoke (external link)

This is Carlos in the well with his wife telling him not to tell them where the treasure is buried. Carlos in the Well (external link)

One of my favorites is the dog with the key to the jail cell. Dog with Key (external link)

And last, this I consider the money shot of my trip, Johnny Depp enjoying his treasure. Johnny Depp (external link)

Gear List, Blog, (external link) Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
FEChariot
Goldmember
4,426 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 30, 2012 15:38 |  #2

Wow, nice shots. I dont' even try to bring my 7D out in that ride.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

cherrymoon
533 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 30, 2012 16:22 |  #3

Well done ! I tested 50/1.4, 35L and never suceed anything of that kind in such dark place !

5D² 40 pancake | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 16-35L IS | 24-105L | 70-200 f2.8 L IS II and a TT bike
Complete Gear List

Route246
THREAD ­ STARTER
492 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 30, 2012 16:41 |  #4

Thank you. I took my 24L last year and F/1.4 doesn't cut it. Getting down to 1/40 is the key on that moving boat. The better ISO performance of the 5D3 over the 5D2 also made a difference. I have some old shots done with a flash that are probably comparable in IQ but it's with flash. This is the first time I've ever been able to get anything inside of that ride approaching this sharpness without flash.

cherrymoon wrote in post #15309684 (external link)
Well done ! I tested 50/1.4, 35L and never suceed anything of that kind in such dark place !

snowshark13
705 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 30, 2012 16:51 |  #5

I was just at DisneyWorld and took my 60D with Sigma 30 1.4 on this ride. I had to shoot wide open and ISO 6400 and got some good pictures before my daughter got scared and I had to put my camera away. I'll post a couple later tonight.

Gear
www.digitalsnowshark.c​om (external link)
flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 30, 2012 16:54 |  #6

Very nice, love that ride

NatDeroxL7
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 30, 2012 17:58 |  #7

That is a tough ride. I had my 35L and 5DII with my for it, got some useable ones but my keeper rate was maybe 10-15% from that ride. Some of the others fare much better.

I actually think that the artificial lighting is the most challenging part. White balance and getting detail in al 3 channels.....forget about it.

Looking at the 2048 size samples of yours on flicker you can definitely tell the 5DIII+1.2 yields a noticeable improvement in captured detail.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

https://www.instagram.​com/nd14411 (external link)
https://natedphoto.myp​ortfolio.com/ (external link)

Route246
THREAD ­ STARTER
492 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 30, 2012 19:22 |  #8

Yeah, mine are "raw" jpg with no post processing. I was thinking the lighting is pretty weird and you confirmed this. The main problem I have is the shake, even at 1/40, because I'm usually twisted around slightly, unable to hold the camera correctly while sitting on that hard boat seat. I really like your shot of Johnny Depp. That's the hardest one to get because the boat is transitioning to the bumpy dry conveyor belt heading up the hill at that point.

NatDeroxL7 wrote in post #15310006 (external link)
That is a tough ride. I had my 35L and 5DII with my for it, got some useable ones but my keeper rate was maybe 10-15% from that ride. Some of the others fare much better.

I actually think that the artificial lighting is the most challenging part. White balance and getting detail in al 3 channels.....forget about it.

Looking at the 2048 size samples of yours on flicker you can definitely tell the 5DIII+1.2 yields a noticeable improvement in captured detail.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 30, 2012 19:55 |  #9

if you click the share button on the flickr photo page, you can use the bbCode to embedd the photos in the post here.

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

NatDeroxL7
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 02, 2012 18:46 |  #10

I actually totally spaced out, my Pirates shots were with the Zeiss 50 MP2, no wonder I got so few keepers, it was the manual focus and f2 aperture lol.

https://www.instagram.​com/nd14411 (external link)
https://natedphoto.myp​ortfolio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,091 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean w/50L+5D3
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.