Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Nov 2012 (Friday) 09:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is anyone ready for Christmas yet? {Before & After included}

LisaJH
Goldmember
1,880 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 09, 2012 09:00 |  #1

My husband had stumbled upon this spot some 20 years ago on a hunting trip and just loved it. The crumbling foundation, fireplace, and chimney are all that remain of what was once an old homestead out, quite literally, in the middle of nowhere.

I took this shot of it not too long ago...

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5282/5296147518_7bae8622ea_o.jpg

Another 20 miles out this same dirt road and you have this (a tourist-free, quiet, and quite simply amazing view of the Grand Canyon)...

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/7628294216_6bcec8c744_o.jpg

Same location, different day, different angle...how did I get so lucky to live within short driving distance of this?

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7637843890_d2349abd7d_o.jpg

Anyways, while trying to come up with a creative idea for my Christmas picture this year, this place kept popping up in my mind. I envisioned a fire roaring in the fireplace, stockings hung by the fire, and all of my kids snuggled around listening to a Christmas story in front of the fireplace. Sounds easy, but wow, it was a lot to pull off.

Firstly, the drive - it's about 2 1/2 hours from our house. We decided to do it this past weekend as it appeared to be the last weekend we would be having unseasonably warm weather. Imagine traveling miles of unkept dirt roads in a 15 passenger van - yep...haha. We arrived just before sunset (the sun was setting behind me if I were standing looking at the fireplace). Basically, this meant that if I went with natural light only, to expose the fireplace and my children correctly, the sky would be totally blown. This was definitely not what I had envisioned (I wanted a rich, warm sunset) so I decided to wait until the sun was down for good, and whip out my one little speedlight and do an OCF setup.

This is where yet another problem arose. My light stand is broken (the bracket that you attach the speedlight to at the top of the stand had fallen off...I guess this is what I get for buying cheap equipment) so I had to use my husband as a human light stand. No problem, but low and behold, I had forgotten my one little modifier - my white umbrella. How on earth did I forget my umbrella? I guess in the hustle to get all the kids together, their Christmas pajamas, their shoes, the camera, the props, etc etc, the umbrella was lost in the chaos. So...I came up with the great idea to bounce it off of my white reflector. How on earth I remembered the reflector when I forgot the umbrella is beyond me, but I was thankful to have it! I had actually thought about cutting Jeff's white T-shirt up and jimmy rigging a modifier, but I'm thinking the reflector did a much better job than that would have. LOL You should have seen my husband trying to manage the huge (52") reflector and the speedlight, but he did great! I believe the final image was shot at about 1/4 power, but I was fiddling with my settings so much that I don't remember for sure. I took a bunch of images but really only needed 1 good one. I decided that it would be easier to engage the kids in something (listening to a Christmas story) than try to get them all grinning at the camera for me. That definitely made it a bit easier. Elliott (the baby) is throwing a little fit here, but I liquified a tiny smile on his face so he looks happy - hahaha! Other than that, no head swaps! We really did have a fire lit in the fireplace, but quickly realized that it was going to burn the stockings to a pile of charcoal, so we had to extinguish it. So this is a composite image as the fire had to be 'swapped' in to this image from an image I took in the brief period of time that the fire was actually burning. I'll take a fire swap over a head swap any day though! lol

Ok, enough rambling, here's the end result. I adore it - that might be mommy goggles, or maybe not. Just had to share. :)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8158223282_c22a352030_o.jpg

And as promised, the before and after. You can see that I took some liberties in editing - fire added, sunset greatly enhanced with a gradient, clouds added, etc...

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7269/8158705787_0942cd4e7d_o.jpg

~Mom of 11 and Professional Photographer~
5DIV | 5DIII | 5DII | 40D | 400L | 200L | 70-200L II | 85L | 50 1.0L | 50 1.2L | Sigma 50mm Art Lens | 16-35L II | TS-E 90 | 100 Macro | Random Lensbaby & OCF Gear
Website (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,134 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 09, 2012 09:04 |  #2

Nice works as usual.
Even nicer kids around :D

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 09, 2012 09:12 |  #3

very nice works even better, really like those after shots and the shots of the canyon are stunning

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 09, 2012 18:27 |  #4

Great shots all around. I'm pretty jealous of how close you live to that. Those are excellent landscape shots that belong in a calendar or something. The final Christmas picture looks excellent also.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

wards75
175 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 09, 2012 20:26 as a reply to  @ SoCalTiger's post |  #5

Beautiful, love the idea! It definitely turned out great!

1D3---"Nifty Fifty"---24-70 L MK 1---70-200 2.8 ISL--580ex ii---430ex
http://mgwphotos.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)

russ71satellite
Goldmember
2,278 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 09, 2012 22:18 |  #6

Thanks so much for posting these, and most especially the background story of how it came together. Beautiful work!

Canon EOS 5D, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, Yongnuo YN560II, Dynaphos strobe, 16 inch beauty dish, Vagabond mini.
https://www.facebook.c​om/Rj2photoconcepts1?r​ef=h (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/rj2_photoconce​pts/ (external link)flickr (external link)

mjww
668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2012 08:12 |  #7

I love the Christmas theme shoot. It is giving me ideas! :-)
Very nice landscapes too. You are lucky to live so close!

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

photorookie
460 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 30, 2012 17:04 |  #8

Already told you how awesome this family shot is! And I cant believe nobody counted the number of stockings compared to the number of children!

Since it is Facebook news, congrats on the news of number 10!

Gary S.

mjww
668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 30, 2012 18:03 |  #9

Doesn't everyone get to put up more than stocking? :-(

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

Ingerson"PCD"
Goldmember
2,791 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 01, 2012 02:59 |  #10

Very nice.

-Eric-
I have too many hobbies to be good at any of them.
Flickr (external link)

CJCMarquez
Cream of the Crop
5,199 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 01, 2012 03:43 |  #11

Great editing in the final shot. The landscapes shots are amazing too.

Chad or CJ
Gear/Feedback - 500px (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,752 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Dec 01, 2012 04:02 as a reply to  @ CJCMarquez's post |  #12

Beautiful shots...Love your Christmas card shot.

Mark

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 01, 2012 04:20 |  #13

Great spot, that's a nice christmas card!

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

BDKR
194 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 01, 2012 19:42 |  #14

What ^they^ said...

Might have to steal that idea for next year....with permission of course...

7D,5Dii, EF70-200/2.8L ISII, EF24-105L, EF50/1.8, EFS10-22, EF85/1.8, Strobes/SpeedLites and imagination. Oh, and an empty wallet

sponsored links

2,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is anyone ready for Christmas yet? {Before & After included}
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.