Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 30, 2012 20:51 |  #376

The biggest concern for me aside from the QR not breaking is will the QR scratch my camera when I'm carrying it. I certainly appreciate all the testing you guys have done. It's good to know you won't put something out unless it 100% works.

Given that the quick links are all essentially unbreakable in any situation that doesn't involve a truck or a pull tester, the scratch potential is our biggest testing consideration.

One of the nice things about the design is that the majority of the surface area is a wire form, which won't ever scratch a camera (being perfectly smooth, round metal). The only concern is the gate, and most of the ones we've been testing are machined and tumbled enough that it would take a really solid hit to do any damage to the camera.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

sponsored links
MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,706 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 30, 2012 20:54 |  #377

whmeltonjr wrote in post #15310298 (external link)
That thing holds 1400 pounds of weight! Why did you just get one?

Cause I don't even know what, if anything, I'll use it for so why would I buy 2? Are you telling me I should've bought a pair? Damn. I'll have to order another one.

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2012 20:56 |  #378

gakoenig wrote in post #15310591 (external link)
When the MkII Cinch comes out in a few days, one of the little tweaks is modular hardware. You'll be able to remove the front and rear webbing easily. We're doing this for size changes and to make the system future-proof. Currently, only the rear webbing is removable (though we've never told anyone about it). You can also re-use the Cinch hardware and cook up whatever crazy ideas you want.

What is the cost of this new MKII? I bet BR is kicking their ass for doing their patent thing on you they have lost a ton of sales I am sure myself I have never liked the BR

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 30, 2012 21:04 |  #379

What is the cost of this new MKII? I bet BR is kicking their ass for doing their patent thing on you they have lost a ton of sales I am sure myself I have never liked the BR

We'll announce pricing when it launches... (we honestly haven't really tabulated the COGS and such yet, so we don't know. Even though parts are in production now).

As for BR- I don't think they really know we exist. They are about 10x bigger than we are, with offices, and 15 employees, and a production babysitter in Tiawan managing their product, and an outside industrial design firm. Like a real company.

The Cinch was on the drawing board before the BR patent thing. We saw everyone cooking up various permutations of a sliding single point sling and realized the market for those was seriously saturated.

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 30, 2012 21:07 |  #380

gakoenig wrote in post #15310653 (external link)
We'll announce pricing when it launches... (we honestly haven't really tabulated the COGS and such yet, so we don't know. Even though parts are in production now).

As for BR- I don't think they really know we exist. They are about 10x bigger than we are, with offices, and 15 employees, and a production babysitter in Tiawan managing their product, and an outside industrial design firm. Like a real company.

The Cinch was on the drawing board before the BR patent thing. We saw everyone cooking up various permutations of a sliding single point sling and realized the market for those was seriously saturated.

Didn't know that interesting

juanpafer
Goldmember
1,830 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 30, 2012 21:07 |  #381

MDJAK wrote in post #15310615 (external link)
Cause I don't even know what, if anything, I'll use it for so why would I buy 2? Are you telling me I should've bought a pair? Damn. I'll have to order another one.

LOL
This really sound like you! :)

Juan

LPMM
243 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 30, 2012 21:55 |  #382

When the MkII Cinch comes out in a few days, one of the little tweaks is modular hardware. You'll be able to remove the front and rear webbing easily. We're doing this for size changes and to make the system future-proof. Currently, only the rear webbing is removable (though we've never told anyone about it). You can also re-use the Cinch hardware and cook up whatever crazy ideas you want.

I cooked up my own sling by using the Canon strap from my 300 f2.8 and some paracord until I can figure out a clever way to use the same QR on both the body and the lens. It works but being able to "cinch" up the gear would be nice. When I use the big lens, I also like to disconnect the strap from the body so that I don't have too many things in the way, and that's where the Op/Tech QR comes in handy.

If we're talking a few days, I'll wait to see what your MkII will look like before making a decision in hopes that it can be versatile.

gakoenig wrote in post #15310653 (external link)
We saw everyone cooking up various permutations of a sliding single point sling and realized the market for those was seriously saturated.

That is why I am not getting one, I don't like the single point of contact and much prefer the dual.

Cheers,
Laurent
POTN Feedback thread FM Feedback page (external link) flickr Page (external link)
5D MK III | SL1 | 300mm ƒ2.8L IS | 70-200mm ƒ2.8L IS II | 24-70mm ƒ2.8L | 2x III Extender | 18-135mm STM

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 01, 2012 00:35 as a reply to  @ LPMM's post |  #383

Hey Greg, make sure your accountant gets you the R&D tax credit this year. That is if Congress includes it in their year-end tax provision renewals. ;)

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

TheArchitect
326 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 01, 2012 09:43 |  #384

gakoenig wrote in post #15310356 (external link)
Market research question: What do people think about screw lock quick links?

They aren't super sophisticated, but we find the absolute reliability of those components to be a very compelling featue.

I love the idea and have tried to find screw locks on my own. What I did find was either too big or I didn't like the finish.

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,283 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 02, 2012 00:22 |  #385

Can I trade in my MkI for a MkII? It's not very old, and hardly used to boot!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

328iGuy
Goldmember
3,567 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Dec 02, 2012 06:33 |  #386

Inspeqtor wrote in post #15314748 (external link)
Can I trade in my MkI for a MkII? It's not very old, and hardly used to boot!

Joking right? :lol:

Canon 5D IV | Canon 6D | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 17L TS-E | 70-200LII | 300 2.8 L

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,283 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 02, 2012 15:25 |  #387

328iGuy wrote in post #15315234 (external link)
Joking right? :lol:

What do you think? ;)

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 02, 2012 18:06 |  #388

So... speaking of gate hooks, I had a Lowepro bag with me today that I carry my NX100 in. The strap uses gate hooks and while I was bending over to pick up my daughter one of the gate hooks released and the bag dropped onto the floor.

It's pretty well padded so everything was fine, but I have a new paranoia about using them with gear now!!! I'm repeating myself but I really want to see the video (of the hook failing)!

Joel

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,296 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 06, 2012 13:39 |  #389

Greg, any word on when the Mk. II is going to be available? Drop me a line on when you may be in Hillsboro and I can buy you a coffee at a coffee shop of your choice (close to Orenco maybe) - my 7D is strapless at the moment, waiting for the Cinch :D

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 06, 2012 16:30 |  #390

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15334297 (external link)
Greg, any word on when the Mk. II is going to be available? Drop me a line on when you may be in Hillsboro and I can buy you a coffee at a coffee shop of your choice (close to Orenco maybe) - my 7D is strapless at the moment, waiting for the Cinch :D

We started producing some of the components for the MkII now while we wait for a few other parts to come out of tooling.

As always, Luma is a small company, and we have a fetish for the sort of parts that only come out of aerospace and highly specialized suppliers. As such, we are continually at the mercy of those shop's production schedules and we often get bumped (if I ever have a plane ticket and the aircraft is a Boeing, I'm willing to bet I'll get bumped when I fly by them as well).

We are doing all the photography with it now to get an all-new website ready. We will launch it and offer it for sale as soon as we can have a firm date from our suppliers that we can have absolute confidence in.

BTW- for those of you wondering, the quick release solution is fixed. Upgrade kits that include the QR will be launched alongside Cinch MkII (since those are the parts we are waiting on). Teaser - we are using screw gate quick links that are way smaller than the ones you've seen and made by the company in France that invented the carabiner. They are quite beautifully made and I think they will help make the Cinch the *most* secure camera strap on the market. The system is absolutely bulletproof.

sponsored links

267,370 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch fanboys...show me what you got!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.