Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 01 Dec 2012 (Saturday) 19:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Picking a tripod setup

SouthernShooterZ71
160 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 01, 2012 19:28 |  #1

I'm looking into getting a (first) tripod setup soon.

I shoot some hdr.. landscape. Still life. Portraits etc.. a little of everything really

I need / want to be able to shoot landscape and portrait orientation .. steady portable and light as possible

Will be holding a 5dii 24-70 or larger 70-200 with either speedlight or pocket wizard where needed

Would like quick disconnect as well..

Are there any (combos) out there that will work for my application or will I have to do legs and head seperate?
I'm assuming a ball head would he my best option... correct?

And of course there is a budget.. could be tweaked if possible but around $200 little more little less would be better if possible.

What are your thoughts / my options?

5DII l
Please visit my - Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 01, 2012 21:33 |  #2

When do you need it? With a $200 budget, I'd advise you to save up more money. You'll only be able to get an aluminum tripod with that, and those aren't the lightest. Ball heads are nice since they are quick to adjust and set. Most people here will pick and choose each component. Most kits don't come with the best heads, so keep that in mind. A lot of people are using traveler tripods since they pack up small and are light.

Just to put some things in perspective, my first rig cost over $700 and my camera gear wasn't even that expensive back then. I saved up a long time to get a really light rig. There are lots of good reviews here on this forum. Take some time and read through them and the tripod sticky as well. Greensboro sounds like a big enough city to have some camera shops. The best thing to do is to get some real world experience with them to see what you like or dislike (flip locks vs twist for example).

gordon
Gear and Feedback

pfjbaldwin
326 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 01, 2012 22:29 as a reply to  @ klr.b's post |  #3

Agree. I don't know anything in carbon fiber at a $200 price point. I love my HorusBennu C-3540V and with their ballhead it will come in around $370. Lots of reviews and posts here in HorusBennu thread. A true bargain for a rock stable, quick set up lightweight tripod.

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 01, 2012 22:36 |  #4

I have a great tripod with head I am selling but it would cost be to much to send across Country. But look local for a Manfrotto 3221WN and the Manfrotto 488RC2 A very sturdy tripod and not a bad head. It is rather heavy though but for under $200 it would be hard to beat

mjww
668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 02, 2012 07:48 |  #5

Look at something used. Many people upgrade their older aluminum tripods for the latest carbon fifer models. You are also falling into the category of cheap, light, sturdy. Pick two! :-)
My tripod purchasing experience was very close to this article - http://bythom.com/supp​ort.htm (external link) . Good advice worth reading.

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

oahumike
460 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 02, 2012 16:10 |  #6

I just bought a used carbon fiber tripod from a member on the mainland and I live in Hawaii. It only costed around $20

Tanglefoot47 wrote in post #15314489 (external link)
I have a great tripod with head I am selling but it would cost be to much to send across Country. But look local for a Manfrotto 3221WN and the Manfrotto 488RC2 A very sturdy tripod and not a bad head. It is rather heavy though but for under $200 it would be hard to beat

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....
Now have an SL2 and Mavic Pro.... Man life changes.
I would encourage you... To just go for it.

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 02, 2012 16:22 |  #7

oahumike wrote in post #15316943 (external link)
I just bought a used carbon fiber tripod from a member on the mainland and I live in Hawaii. It only costed around $20

Wow, $20 for a CF tripod is a great deal. Was there anything wrong with it? If not, those kind of deals don't pop up too often unless it's some wife selling an ex's or dead husband's gear. Sometimes people are clueless about a tripod's worth and figure most can be bought in a store for $20, so they sell it for as much.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

oahumike
460 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 02, 2012 16:36 |  #8

Oops!!! I meant the shipping only cost $20. But actually the tripod was only $85. It is a smaller one but should work well with all the hiking I do. Weight to me is more important than height (since I try and go out at least once a week and do some shooting.) Before you pull the trigger I'd post a WTB ad for a tripod/head and maybe someone can help meet with the costs. As I've learned, most people on this forum are very nice and a pleasure to do business with! (also the tripod is an Induro which has great reviews!)

klr.b wrote in post #15316986 (external link)
Wow, $20 for a CF tripod is a great deal. Was there anything wrong with it? If not, those kind of deals don't pop up too often unless it's some wife selling an ex's or dead husband's gear. Sometimes people are clueless about a tripod's worth and figure most can be bought in a store for $20, so they sell it for as much.

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....

DJ ­ JIGGLER
260 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Dec 02, 2012 18:54 |  #9

I would say something like the 055XPROB Tripod and 498RC2 or 496RC2 ball head.

The 055XPROB is 139.90 on amazon

496RC2 = 66.27 206.17 w/ tripod
498RC2 = 100.00 239.90 w/ tripod

Im using the 055XPROB w/ 498RC2 right now and love it next thing i want to upgrade to is to a carbon fiber tripod and a really right stuff ball head but i dont feel like spending 1500+ dollars on that setup

Canon 5D MKII Gripped, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS 50mm f/1.4, Extender EF 1.4X III, 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye 580EX II x2, 600EX-RT

oahumike
460 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 03, 2012 19:02 as a reply to  @ DJ JIGGLER's post |  #10

A seller in the forum is selling some cheap durable legs. I'd look into and compare them to the manfrottos that everyone is talking about. If you have time to wait buying the gear I am going to review my vanguard abh-340k ball head I JUST ordered through amazon for $90 which seems like they are giving it away based on reviews I've seen for the ABH lineup.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1253482

Had a 6D....
Then had a daughter....

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,340 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 03, 2012 19:15 |  #11

DJ JIGGLER wrote in post #15317587 (external link)
I would say something like the 055XPROB Tripod and 498RC2...

That's what I'm using, and love it. Solid as a rock. Center column can go horizontal, which I've used on occasion. Ball head handles my camera and 70-200 without a problem.

But if you're going to do a lot of hiking... it's heavy.

Also, get one that's tall enough for you. (I'm 6'2" and this tripod is good for me).

But, there are lots of combos (and brands) at B&H and Adorama. Many come as a kit (legs and head).

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,002 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 03, 2012 19:33 |  #12

SouthernShooterZ71 wrote in post #15313932 (external link)
I'm looking into getting a (first) tripod setup soon.

I shoot some hdr.. landscape. Still life. Portraits etc.. a little of everything really

I need / want to be able to shoot landscape and portrait orientation .. steady portable and light as possible

Will be holding a 5dii 24-70 or larger 70-200 with either speedlight or pocket wizard where needed

Would like quick disconnect as well..

Are there any (combos) out there that will work for my application or will I have to do legs and head seperate?
I'm assuming a ball head would he my best option... correct?

And of course there is a budget.. could be tweaked if possible but around $200 little more little less would be better if possible.

What are your thoughts / my options?

Have a look on the used market! I normally use the following setup for landscapes: Triopo RS3 (holds anything Canon easily), Triopo QR clamp and a Gitzo 1239 Mk2 = total cost 142 pounds (UK). Note the two Triopo components were new and the tripod was used.
142 GBP for a carbon systematic Gitzo + Head and clamp - it pays to shop about!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

1,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
Picking a tripod setup
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.